What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

congratulations

HAL

Juniors
To sydneysiders for a great crowd yesterday,not!!!!!.

Geez I know the game has got some problems in NSW and in general but come on that was not a good crowd no matter what type of spin people put on it.

I'm not here to spoil the party,but as a fan it's very concerning and the only solutions I can think of is cheaper tickets for nose bleed seats,freebies for junior clubs (all of which is what alot of other people have mentioned in other posts) oh maybe free beer might help lol

mattyg

Bench
definately was a pretty crap crowd...but instead of bagging sydney as this thread will most likely turn into we should look at solutions...

i think season ticket holders should get half price tickets for origin for starters. freebies for junior clubs also might help. To pay $150 odd for a single ticket and sit on the try line or even up in the nose bleeds is just ridiculous and its no wonder people don't pay that sort of money for poor seats when they can sit at home. I was at the game and I am a season ticket holder but I really had to question going to the game with the money I got atm.

Perhaps in future they could look at playing the Sydney games at SFS/ANZ. Play game 1 at the SFS, and Game 3 at ANZ if it is a decider. You could also do it the other way around and only have both of them at ANZ if the 3rd game is a decider. Say for example if QLD were 2-0 up in the series and the 3rd game was at ANZ Stadium, the chance of a crowd over 50k is pretty low, therefore playing at the SFS would make it look better for league.

Knight87

Juniors
I must admit, ticket prices are pretty expensive. I was right on the 50m line, 2 rows back on the Eastern side of the ground. Although the view was very good at atmosphere was terrific, I do question paying $105 for my ticket (hence why I only got tickets for Game I, as well as the fact that I probably will be on holidays in July when Game III is on). If you're going as a family, for Category A is $380. Now, I must admit, that is a heck of a lot of money to be forking out for one rugby league match. Infact, that's probably more than some NRL club's memberships. If you get it for two S.O.O games, thats $760!!

And you can forget about playing Origins at SFS. When they were on, out of the 42,000 tickets available, 20,000 of them went to SCG/SFS trust members and also the media. Therefore, only 22,000 tickets went to the general public. Since Origin matches at ANZ Stadium get a fair bit more than 42,000, in order to compensate for crowd difference between both stadiums, the price of tickets at the SFS would be increased (adding further woes to the already grossly expensive prices at ANZ Stadium). I know SFS is a lot better ground to watch League at, and virtually all seats at the SFS have a very good view. But, I'd hate to think what ticket prices would be there if Origin went back there.

mattyg

Bench
On another note, how good were those GO NSW signs that basically everyone in the stadium had...they made the crowd look amazing!! looking down the opposite end to me all you could see when the blues scored or came out was a sea of these blue signs, it looked awesome! Hopefully they do that for the next game in Sydney. The atmosphere was very good where I was sitting too, but if you were sitting up the top I doubt it woulda been very good lol.

lotti

Bench
loved them, a sea of sky blue which is always good. The clubs could have a variation of them for games.

the best way to get people to the games, is to drop the prices to a realistic level, at the moment with the price of interest rates, petrol,and groceries, people tend to cut back on non essentials......like footy tickets

RL1908

Bench
As Knights87 says, forking out for 2 Origin games is an expensive matter. The trend in Sydney in years where there are 2 games is seemingly for many thousands of NSW residents is to wait and see if Game 3 is a decider.

Last night's crowd of 67,620 was the 2nd highest on record for Game 1 of an Origin series where Sydney hosts 2 matches. The record was in 2004, with 68,344 attending.

Last night's 67,620 was the 3rd highest opening night attendance to ANY Origin series ever (the record was 72,773 for game 1 of 2006 - the 3rd game of 2006 was played in Melbourne).

In years where NSW has hosted Games 1 and 3, these are the crowds for Game 1 (with game 3 in brackets):
2008: 67,620
2004: 68,344 (Game 3 - a decider - 82,487)
2002: 55,421 (Game 3 - a decider - 74,842)
2000: 61,511 (Game 3 - NSW already won - 58,767)

Knightmare

Coach
With Qlders' who've never been to ANZ bagging the Sydney crowds, does anyone have the crowd figures for 2001-02 when the Maroons played at QE2?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Game 2, 2002: 47989

Game 3, 2001: 49441

Capacity is 51,000 IIRC

Disappointing but if you look at previous NSW crowds still a great result.

I really don't understand how something that's been happening for years is suddenly this massive issue. I'm glad they close the western upper and condensed everyone into the bottom level as much as possible, made the atmosphere that much better IMO :fist:

simostorm

Bench
Ticket prices are too expensive.

ANZ stadium is difficult to get to..

The price doesnt justify the effort maybe?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The second point is crap. ANZ Stadium is one of the most accessible stadiums anywhere. It's only badly placed if you're travelling from St George or the 'Gong as a Saints home fan, otherwise it's great.

Morro

Juniors
What was with the 2 beer per person limit ?? How long has that been in? One of the guys who was with us last night was there for the swans on Sunday and said it was 4 beer limit for that game..

Spank

Juniors
Since when is 68,000 people a crap crowd ?

Thats more people then QLD can have so how can you bannan benders point at us haahha

But i have to admit $130 i paid last night for halfway ticket which was good BUT no pre game entertainment, no halftime entertainment, a few crappy fireworks... i wont be going again, value for money just aint there.