What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant bagging of the standard of footy

would of still been bad

FFS. Would HAVE still been bad. WTF is wrong with the grammar in this thread? There are Would ofs and might ofs everywhere. The word is f**king HAVE. Not of. And if you can't be arsed to write would have, the short form is would've.

Sorry. I've finished now. Just don't do it again.

betcats

Referee
FFS. Would HAVE still been bad. WTF is wrong with the grammar in this thread? There are Would ofs and might ofs everywhere. The word is f**king HAVE. Not of. And if you can't be arsed to write would have, the short form is would've.

Sorry. I've finished now. Just don't do it again.

f**k off fruitbasket.

franklin2323

Immortal
The media says that and you all freak the f**k out.

I think it's more the way it is delivered. Over a course of a season all comps will have some dreadful games. RL's problem is when these come everyone focuses on them and ignores the 95% of good games there is

betcats

Referee
I think it's more the way it is delivered. Over a course of a season all comps will have some dreadful games. RL's problem is when these come everyone focuses on them and ignores the 95% of good games there is

Yeah that's probably it. I think people on here are a bit guilty of focusing on what the media is saying. Like it was a poor game, probably the worst all season and having 34 of the best players not playing will obviously effect the standard of footy, of course the media are going to link the two.

Galeforce

Bench
Unfortunately the Canberra vs Bulldogs was consider entertaining and the Souths vs Eels dull.

The problem , the Canberra vs Bulldogs was a good advertisement for TYC games or NINES , whoever had the ball has a good chance to score.

I think the standard of footy's been really good this year. Some talented new halves coming through, game's sped up and creative players are coming more to fore.

I like where the game's going in general actually, after a good 3-4 years of dullness. Set plays, strong line running, lots of clever and purposeful off the ball movement (one of the biggest changes in the game if you go back and watch games from 10+ years ago).

Agree with the sentiments of the OP, I've never know why high scoring games are so widely derided by so called experts. Give me that over dull 1-2 try snooze fests any day of the week... people want to be excited and entertained, try scoring is a big part of that.

Games like Canberra v Canterbury get people talking, it creates a buzz and compels people to attend or tune in the week after, and that's definitely something the game would want more of.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah that's probably it. I think people on here are a bit guilty of focusing on what the media is saying. Like it was a poor game, probably the worst all season and having 34 of the best players not playing will obviously effect the standard of footy, of course the media are going to link the two.

I think you add JT and co it's a smashing doesn't make the game any better to watch. They try and play the mid range teams pre-SOO so the quality is bad but it's far better then like Roosters playing Melbourne with all their players out.

Look at the weather for Souths v Parra. GI and Hoppa being out that game still is what it was. people concentrate on the negatives to much in RL

betcats

Referee
I think you add JT and co it's a smashing doesn't make the game any better to watch.

:crazy:

Watching JT carve a team up is one of the best things to see in footy these days, this was the a terrible game of footy to watch I cant think of a more boring game that I have watched that means floggings, low scoring games...everything. Just the intensity level and boring game plans and poor handling and lack of any attack was almost painful to watch.

Are you trying to say origin doesn't effect the standard of club footy over that period?

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
:crazy:

Watching JT carve a team up is one of the best things to see in footy these days, this was the a terrible game of footy to watch I cant think of a more boring game that I have watched that means floggings, low scoring games...everything. Just the intensity level and boring game plans and poor handling and lack of any attack was almost painful to watch.

Are you trying to say origin doesn't effect the standard of club footy over that period?

It does but so does injuries, weather etc

betcats

Referee
And they try to offset SOO by playing games with teams close to full strength to offset this. Given the huge cash cow SOO is it's the only way it can be done imo

Maybe it is the best way. We will never know if we refuse to consider other options and bag anyone as a media tool and whinger whenever they question it. ftr I am certainly not convinced there is a better option then the current system, I am convinced we see a noticeable drop off in the standard of footy over this period though.

Card Shark

Immortal
Ok good for him, many more people have said that they didn't. It doesn't change my opinion of the game.

I'm not arguing with you mate. I didn't see the game so can't comment.

I don't really value Ikin's opinion too much - except it is twice as good as Kent's.

Danish

Referee
Ben Ikin said on NRL 360 last night that he enjoyed the Tigers / Cowboys game.

Ben Ikin trying to claim that he enjoyed that game is on the same level as the people who tried to claim that they enjoyed the Mayweather Pacman fight.

They are just bullshitting everyone - including themselves - because they think that it makes them look like "true" fans