What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Constant bagging of the standard of footy

betcats

Referee
I'm not arguing with you mate. I didn't see the game so can't comment.

I don't really value Ikin's opinion too much - except it is twice as good as Kent's.

All good I wasn't trying to sound harsh. You probably know if you watch that show much Ikin was very involved with the Cowboys so there might be some bias there or maybe he genuinely enjoyed it, who knows.

Mascord is the only one who's hit the real issue. The two teams on Saturday were coached to play that way, and players don't develop an entertaining, attacking style of football in these systems. It also takes away the power of players, as a coach can slot in any old plodder and get similar results.

Sundays game was fine because you had a few blokes like Austin and Reynolds who are let off te leash.

Is it a scheduling issue when there's a dud of a game in the first 10 rounds? It's far too convenient to blame Origin for conservative coaches who won't take any risks.

It's far too convenient to blame coaches. If there's an issue with the game then it's the rules at fault, not the coaches.

Ben Ikin trying to claim that he enjoyed that game is on the same level as the people who tried to claim that they enjoyed the Mayweather Pacman fight.

They are just bullshitting everyone - including themselves - because they think that it makes them look like "true" fans

Plenty of boxing fans enjoy overly technical borefests. That's why boxing is on its arse in every meaningful way.

Parra

Referee
No need to be so sensitive or so defensive. Some games are great, some are shit, most fall somewhere in between. NRL is the same as every other sport in this regard.

Mong

Post Whore
Well it is Brutus who started this thread, he has a very healthy collection of tin foil hats.

Pretty sure his curtains at home are also tin foil.

Can never be too careful you know :)

Brutus

Referee
Josh Masoud - the supposed league person in the Offsiders absolutely gave it to the quality of the first Origin while the rest of the non-leaguie panel said it was ok.

He virtually said to Melbournites - "don't worry about attending Origin 2 the game is shit".

Thanks Josh. How was the SCG last Friday night? Quality contest??

Brutus

Referee
Now Slothfield wants Kiwis and Polynesians eligible for Origin because Origin 1 wasn't up to his lofty standards.

I wonder what Bill Shorten thinks.

Talanexor

Juniors
We had close to $2.5m of our salary cap missing from that game, including our 3 best halves and 3 best front rowers. So not only did we have to play with makeshift halves, they also had no go forward to work with.

Given the circumstances, I'm proud of the way they played and defended so strongly for 80 minutes.

I don't want to see more games like it though - the only way to change that is to put Origin on standalone weekends. Good opportunity to get the other league countries more international experience.

New Zealand and Great Britain could have their own version of Origin or they could play a test against each other. Samoa, Tonga, PNG and Fiji could play each other once.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I've seen a few journalist say that origin 1 was a poor game, if that was a poor game then it goes to show just how great rugby league and how spoilt we are. Sure it wasn't a classic, but it was gripping, when Queensland kept attacking blues line and blues kept holding them out my heart almost gave out, the constant forwards arm wrestle was amazing viewing, there were great individual performances from the likes of cronk, chambers, dugan and the dugan try set up for josh Morris was as good as any try you'll ever see. So If that's a poor game I'm happy with the standard of rugby league

Canard

Immortal
I've seen a few journalist say that origin 1 was a poor game, if that was a poor game then it goes to show just how great rugby league and how spoilt we are. Sure it wasn't a classic, but it was gripping, when Queensland kept attacking blues line and blues kept holding them out my heart almost gave out, the constant forwards arm wrestle was amazing viewing, there were great individual performances from the likes of cronk, chambers, dugan and the dugan try set up for josh Morris was as good as any try you'll ever see. So If that's a poor game I'm happy with the standard of rugby league

Pretty much this.

I believe most of the journo's people complaining are casual fans.

Essentially what almost all of the complaints boil down to is "we won't more tries".

Its as if good defense isn't considered part of the game at all. And a team repelling a side after 3 repeat sets is "boring" instead of an incredible achievement.

Brutus

Referee

That idiot Massoud on the Offsiders said there were no decent tries in Origin 1. He was quickly alerted to the Morris try by another panel member. Goose.

insert.pause

First Grade
Origin is taken so seriously now that there's no margin for error, coaches won't use the best backs in the game to try and create anything and instead put it to forwards to take hitups a metre to either side of the ruck for 90% of tackles. it's gotten to the stage that if the ball goes through the hands in their own half it's surprising & unusual. NSW are so terrified to actually use the football that qld are rarely ever tested and it's ironic considering it's the opposite of how they won in game 1 last year where they shocked qld and were full of running and expansive play. They can't beat qld playing such negative football.

Latest posts