What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coogee and Clovelly are not Soufs territory!

RoosTah

Juniors
So earlier today I was sent an article from the Souths website claiming that Coogee, Clovelly and Randwick city in general all belong to South Sydney.

We all know this territory's juniors clubs were stolen from Easts back in the 50s to "even up the competition", but that doesn't change the fact that the area is quite clearly part of Sydney's eastern suburbs.

I grew up in Coogee and I've never supported Soufs, and I see way more Rooster gear around the place than I've ever seen of the likes of Rusties Wabbits. In any case, aren't the Wabbits more a Western Suburbs team now anyway? That's where their membership base lies and they play all their games at bloody Homebush!

So get onto the Randwick council website and let them know that Soufs just can't walk in and pretend East is suddenly Souf!

http://yoursayrandwick.com.au/turf-wars

saint.nick

Coach
Well Randwick City Council have actually stated that everywhere south of Centennial Park/Clovelly is Souths territory. And those places, especially Kensington, Kingsford, Maroubra, and anywhere south of Maroubra, seem to have a lot more Souths identity anyway.

Last edited:

goodplayer

Juniors
russel crowe said SFS sydney football stadium is in souths area . so its rabbits home ground

strong_latte

Juniors
Well Randwick City Council have actually stated that everywhere south of Centennial Park/Clovelly is Souths territory. And those places, especially Kensington, Kingsford, Maroubra, and anywhere south of Maroubra, seem to have a lot more Souths identity anyway.

Kenso, Kingsford and Maroubra I agree, but everything north of Anzac pd is dominated by Easts fans.

The ABS defines Randwick City as part of Sydney's Eastern Suburbs, and frankly outside of a very narrow definition on the boundaries of League Juniors territories they're definitively and geographically 'eastern suburbs'.

I grew up in the area and I've always supported Easts, and to be honest I don't think I can recall the last time I saw anyone in a Souths jersey around Coogee or Clovelly... I'd love to see a poll taken of Coogee and Cloey residents - I'd be willing to be it'd show a 3 to 1 ratio in favour of Roosters fans over Souths ones.

Lets face it too - Souths "identity" has always had its heart in redfern anyway.

Clovelly are still classed as a roosters juniors club. The rugby league line must split between Clovelly and Coogee somewhere.

I imagine when the split was done Bondi being working class would have had a few clubs and Paddo would have been strong. Areas like Maroubra and mascot would still have had farmland and hardly any people living in those areas. I know reading George Piggins book he used to ride his horse around mascot in the 50s

strong_latte

Juniors
From what I understand the NSWRL board was highly 'sympathetic to Souths in the 50s when the transfer of territories occurred and never properly justified the decision to annex the such a significant portion of the Eastern Suburbs.

adamkungl

Immortal
Randwick and Clovelly shouldn't even be debated. Coogee and everything east of Anzac Pde should be ours but the NSWRL and Souffs are thieving grubs.

Questions for Randwick council..

1) Which local suburbs to Souths train and play in? (silence)

2) To what area do Coogee/Randwick residents, real estate agents, etc claim to belong? Sure as shit isn't Souff Sinney

goodplayer

Juniors
newtown club borders up to souths club borders

sharks could always merge with rabbits. just build a bridge at la poruse

Big Sam

First Grade
Jason%20Clark%20H.jpg

This is Jason Clark. He is a Coogee-Randwick Wombats junior. Note that he is playing for us and not you guys because Coogee and Randwick are ours.

(Clovelly is yours though. It's north of where the border is - Alison Rd)

RoosTah

Juniors
Jason%20Clark%20H.jpg

This is Jason Clark. He is a Coogee-Randwick Wombats junior. Note that he is playing for us and not you guys because Coogee and Randwick are ours.

(Clovelly is yours though. It's north of where the border is - Alison Rd)

Yes, because Randwick was stolen by a Souffs stacked NSWRL board and handed to you lot in the 50s - doesn't change the fact that they're still part of the EASTERN SUBURBS OF SYDNEY, just like the fact that Melbourne's juniors are based in Brisbane doesn't make Brisbane Storm territory. Get it?

Big Sam

First Grade
Yes, because Randwick was stolen by a Souffs stacked NSWRL board and handed to you lot in the 50s

Any hard evidence of this? Or just hearsay from a bunch of bitter rorter fans who weren't even alive in the 50s?

RoosTah

Juniors
Any hard evidence of this? Or just hearsay from a bunch of bitter rorter fans who weren't even alive in the 50s?

There's plenty written on it, but even if you refuse to accept these rather well documented facts, it doesn't make your logic any less silly. As I said, Randwick having had its juniors given to the rabbits doesn't make it part of South Sydney, in the same way that Brisbane isn't now part of Melbourne because the Murdoch empire gave them Brisbane based juniors.

Valheru

Coach
Souffs have no identity, don’t let their grubby supporters fool you. They actually believe they are the most popular team in the Eastern suburbs and more than that they believe they are “everyone’s 2nd favourite team”.

In reality “South Sydney” is St George and Cronulla territory. Souffs are a relic of the pre colour TV past and should be booted from the comp immediately.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The Roosters are just the city team ever since they gave up their foundation name. The suburbs south of the harbour are Souths territory.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well from an outsider's perspective that's how it looks. The Roosters are Sydney city and Souths are Sydney inner suburban. That's why they're the (relative) battlers.

Anyway these days what difference does it make? The NSWRL can no longer force people to play for the clubs closest to their homes. Even the best SG Ball players are all on contract with whoever offered the most money.

RoosTah

Juniors
Well from an outsider's perspective that's how it looks. The Roosters are Sydney city and Souths are Sydney inner suburban. That's why they're the (relative) battlers.

Anyway these days what difference does it make? The NSWRL can no longer force people to play for the clubs closest to their homes. Even the best SG Ball players are all on contract with whoever offered the most money.

Actually from an outsiders perspective South Sydney represents South Sydney, which doesn't include places like Randwick, which by almost every definable definition is part of Sydney's eastern suburbs.

Latest posts