What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cook Islands

playdaball

Bench
I’m currently in Rarotonga , capital of the Cook Islands. I can tell you that RL is the #1 football code here and it features on FTA TV a few times per week, NRL. The Warriors are the most popular team and NRL gear is worn by many locals, as are local teams gear, based around NRL teams.
I spoke to a CIRL official who said that the local game is still strong but they do struggle at times financially. This wasn’t the case back in the SL era! Soccer gets funding from FIFA. The other comment was that they were disappointed that they didn’t get into the last WC whilst other teams get through with out having a proper domestic comp. Also said that they like to encourage locals rather than grabbing all players from Nz, Oz and UK.
A good place to visit.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Very true, Cook Islands has a vibrant competition unlike alot of other countries.

They are ignored purely because they bring no TV or corporate money as they have a small population.

RL is run by some pathetically small minded people.

Countries like the Cooks should be given an annual grant by the NRL,even $1 million would help. I know it should be the IRLF but the NRL has the big money. FFS if AFL can fund numerous countries why can't the NRL help out.....it's not always about profit.

Pommy

Coach
Only 14000 here and 9000 on Raro. More Cook Islanders live in NZ and Aussie.

The 2016 census has the population at around 17500, realistically that’s not population worth pumping money in to. Especially when it already has a big culture of both codes of rugby.
FIFA are renowned for pumping money in to places to try and buy votes so it’s not worth making a comparison, how do you think Qatar got the World Cup? No footballing nation in their right mind would have voted.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
We keep comparing ourselves to FIFA however it's apples and oranges. Every country plays soccer at ALL levels, rugby league however is played in a handful.

Money should go to the Cooks to assist them with entering tournaments etc at all levels and to ensure the game remains strong and healthy.

We want them as part of the league family not fading away like the Russians are.

playdaball

Bench
The 2016 census has the population at around 17500, realistically that’s not population worth pumping money in to. Especially when it already has a big culture of both codes of rugby.

So go pump money into China, India, USA, Indonesia and Russia as they have massive populations?

yakstorm

First Grade
$1 million is a significant amount of money and not something as a sport we should be just willing to throw towards a nation where those same dollars could make a more significant impact elsewhere.

Whilst the Cook Islands does have a strong League culture, they only have 5x divisions of 4 teams, so 20-odd sides.

South Africa and Chile boast similar numbers and have far more scope for growth, especially if we had a million to throw around.

The Cook Islands deserve to be given the opportunity to take part in RLWC Qualifiers, to play Test Match football, have voting rights at the APRLC & RLIF and to apply for grants from the RLIF.

This they all get, they don't, in my opinion, deserve preferential treatment over other nations, especially when there is such limited growth left in the nation.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
$1 million is a significant amount of money and not something as a sport we should be just willing to throw towards a nation where those same dollars could make a more significant impact elsewhere.

Whilst the Cook Islands does have a strong League culture, they only have 5x divisions of 4 teams, so 20-odd sides.

South Africa and Chile boast similar numbers and have far more scope for growth, especially if we had a million to throw around.

The Cook Islands deserve to be given the opportunity to take part in RLWC Qualifiers, to play Test Match football, have voting rights at the APRLC & RLIF and to apply for grants from the RLIF.

This they all get, they don't, in my opinion, deserve preferential treatment over other nations, especially when there is such limited growth left in the nation.

$1 million was just a figure plucked from thin air, how about we give them what they need.

By the way they have seven clubs:

Titikaveka Bulldogs
Avatiu Eels
Tupapa Panthers
Ngatangiia Sea Eagles
Aitutaki Sharks
Arorangi Bears
Takuvaine Warriors

Pommy

Coach
So go pump money into China, India, USA, Indonesia and Russia as they have massive populations?

I think pumping the money in the USA would be far more beneficial yes.
There’s a pay off to be had, in the cooks what’s the end game? They already love league, they already produce players but there’s never going to be a financial pay off for any money invested.

latingringo101

Juniors
It should be a case by case basis on how best to help each country out so they can then help themselves.

The RLIF could help out with giving equipment, resources, training days etc to help that nation become self sufficient, but blindly throwing money at things for no long term development isn't the best idea

Pommy

Coach
Why can't they do both and look after ALL the game.

Because RL is not FIFA, where is this money coming from?
SL and NRL are not rich sports competitions and the reality of it is they are out for themselves.
RLIF don’t have two pennies to rub together. Hopefully one day the RLIF can start making some money from the World Cup and other competitions and help fund developing nations, personally I just don’t see what benefit would be got from putting it in to the cooks though. It’s a tiny population that’s already good at rugby in both forms.

yakstorm

First Grade
$1 million was just a figure plucked from thin air, how about we give them what they need.

By the way they have seven clubs:

Titikaveka Bulldogs
Avatiu Eels
Tupapa Panthers
Ngatangiia Sea Eagles
Aitutaki Sharks
Arorangi Bears
Takuvaine Warriors

I never mentioned clubs, just teams, and in the last few seasons rarely have more than 4x teams have taken part in their A, Reserves, 19s, 17s and 15s, which is where the 20 teams comes from.

I get the million was an arbitrary number, but it is also a large amount of money for our code.

As for CIRLA, they received well over A$200K in grants, support and sponsorship in 2017 from the RLIF and APRLC and were able to take part in a Women's World Cup and mid-year Pacific Test, how much more do they really 'need'? As cruel as it sounds, it feels like they get enough (barely, but enough) to meet their needs and whilst they could and would love to do more, that is more where the delta is.

I know nations like Jamaica, Cameroon, Hong Kong, who would kill for 5-10K extra or even total from the game just to help them run programs which are comparable in size and impact to what the CIRLA is achieving.

Now I'm definitely not saying the Cook Islands don't deserve what they get or that any monies should be taken away, more that I feel the next time the game has a spare few thousand (let alone a million) to put towards the international game, that they aren't in my top 25 and potentially in 50 based upon potential ROI, impact to the game or even fairness.

siv

First Grade
No reason to stop a RL nation from receiving funding or playing internationals

Better to grow another peice of the pie

Rather than trying to steal of Paul to feed Peter

Dakink

Bench
Surely with the population there it wouldn't take much at all to ensure the game maintains and increases its footprint.

Pommy

Coach
To put this in to perspective Dubbo has about three times the population.
With people complaining about bush footy dying it’s hard to see a case for Australia donating more money to such a small nation.