What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coops cage fighting?

Couldnt agree more Godz.
Making billions on the back of busted up young men.

I can understand how mma is not everyones cup of tea but noone is holding a gun to their heads to partake in the sport.
Forest Griffin - former ufc champ has a Bachelor in Political Science and was a Police Officer
Rich Franklin - former UFC champion has a Masters in Education and was a former maths teacher.
Chris Weidman - current UFC champ has a bachelor in psychology.
Cain Velasquez - current UFC champion has a Bachelor of Science Education degree.

In fact many of the fighters in the elite UFC organisation are educated.
These are not vulnerable young men with no choice but to partake in MMA.
MMA is a tough sport that combines wrestling, bjj and boxing/ karate/ muay thai (amongst other disciplines).
These guys are highly trained and the fact is mindless thugs would not have the discipline to succeed in this sport.
Much of the strength and conditioning training that is used by NRL clubs nowadays is derived from MMA strength and conditioning training.
Like I said it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's ok people are entitled to their opinions. I am a fan and will be watching Coops career with interest.

DeeJ

Bench
Gallen is an avid practitioner of Brazillian jiu jitsu and participated in that charity boxing match in NZ.

Perhaps in a few years we will see the Dragons vs Sharks in the ring.

aqua_duck

Coach
I can understand how mma is not everyones cup of tea but noone is holding a gun to their heads to partake in the sport.
Forest Griffin - former ufc champ has a Bachelor in Political Science and was a Police Officer
Rich Franklin - former UFC champion has a Masters in Education and was a former maths teacher.
Cain Velasquez - current UFC champion has a Bachelor of Science Education degree.

MMA is a tough sport that combines wrestling, bjj and boxing/ karate/ muay thai (amongst other disciplines).
These guys are highly trained and the fact is mindless thugs would not have the discipline to succeed in this sport.
Much of the strength and conditioning training that is used by NRL clubs nowadays is derived from MMA strength and conditioning training.
Like I said it's not everyone's cup of tea. That's ok people are entitled to their opinions. I am a fan and will be watching Coops career with interest.
Exactly, these guys are highly trained athletes, many are former Olympians or world champions in a particular martial art. The misperception is that the UFC goes out and recruits thugs from the street, that couldn't be further from the truth, probably the most famous street fighter/brawler is Kimbo Slice, famous for knocking blokes senseless on YouTube, goes to the UFC and gets annihilated....

TruSaint

Referee
:sarcasm:

but but but its different.

Certainly gridiron and rugby codes are different.
They are team sports who win when they score more points than the other side, using a thing called a football, as opposed to someones skull.
If their hard contcat and sometimes serious injury, indeed.
But to sompare those sports to MMA is ludicious.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee

Like you said and i agree... its just not everyones cup of tea.

aqua_duck

Coach
Certainly gridiron and rugby codes are different.
They are team sports who win when they score more points than the other side, using a thing called a football, as opposed to someones skull.
If their hard contcat and sometimes serious injury, indeed.
But to sompare those sports to MMA is ludicious.

Look at the injury rate in the respective sports, many MMA fighters fight on till their late 30's and even early to mid 40's and don't suffer any lasting effects.
People judge MMA on the fact that it takes place inside a cage, they have this idea in their heads that they lock the cage throw away the key and let them go nuts, when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth

Collateral

Coach
Having trained in a bit of boxing & training BJJ & also having played Rugby League, Union & American football...I can tell you that by FAR the most brutal sport out of all of them would be Boxing & Gridiron. Leaves the rest for dead.

Collateral

Coach
Look at the injury rate in the respective sports, many MMA fighters fight on till their late 30's and even early to mid 40's and don't suffer any lasting effects.
People judge MMA on the fact that it takes place inside a cage, they have this idea in their heads that they lock the cage throw away the key and let them go nuts, when in reality it couldn't be further from the truth

Not to mention the fact that fighters have a competitive fight like 3 times a year...how many times to footy players go out there and get bashed per year?

TruSaint

Referee

As to long lasting effects, the sport is way to short in existance to make that claim. Took decades for boxers to admit serious brain defeciancies from the sport.

Your second paragraph is correct. Dont know how old you are but go back to UFC and Pride 1. Rules where NON existant. Direct knees to the head whilst the opponent was on the ground was cool. I was in Tokyo for the launch of Pride... let me tell you, there were several occasions in which the fighters were inches from death. Which is why i wont judge anyone for watching it... i did. But now (age) tells me its a brutal sport that i no longer enjoy.

I suppose we mellow as we get older. :D

TruSaint

Referee
PS
Yes the UFC makes billions. The fighters don't fare too badly financially also...

For the record...

[1] Did you know the worst bench warmer on the worst Women?s NBA team makes double what the average entry-level UFC fighter does?
[2] How about this, there was a UFC event in 2013 in which, apparently, the highest guaranteed pay on the card was $30k/$30k.
[3] Did you know, a fighter received only $12,000 in disclosed pay while fighting for a title and main-eventing a Pay-Per-View, this year?
[4] The median average wage for a top 15 fighter in the UFC is just $30,500 per year.

Yep 30k.

Godz Illa

Coach
Please. The primary objective of rugby league and gridiron is not to maim and injure your opponent, in the vast majority of cases such behaviour is punished. I have seen these barbarous fights and they belong in a bygone era of civilisation.

TruSaint

Referee

shiznit

Coach
I wish Matt Cooper the best of luck...

MMA is a wonderful sport. Very technical...exciting sport.

The irony here is I have American friends who follow MMA and think Rugby League/Union is a brutal sport for idiots.

Unless you actually understand the sport I won't take your opinion of it seriously.

As for UFC fighter pay... I think they're waaay underpaid compared to prizefighters from boxing.

But then... When you consider what NRL players put there bodies through compared to other team sports around the world I reckon they are waaay underpaid also.

TruSaint

Referee
Please. The primary objective of rugby league and gridiron is not to maim and injure your opponent, in the vast majority of cases such behaviour is punished. I have seen these barbarous fights and they belong in a bygone era of civilisation.

+ 1

For the record...

[1] Did you know the worst bench warmer on the worst Women’s NBA team makes double what the average entry-level UFC fighter does?
[2] How about this, there was a UFC event in 2013 in which, apparently, the highest guaranteed pay on the card was $30k/$30k.
[3] Did you know, a fighter received only $12,000 in disclosed pay while fighting for a title and main-eventing a Pay-Per-View, this year?
[4] The median average wage for a top 15 fighter in the UFC is just $30,500 per year.

Yep 30k.

You make an interesting point but it only shows one side of the argument. Fighters are also paid on an incentive basis ie bonuses that can amount to substantial amounts in many cases. The incentive is to perform or you get base salary. These bonuses are given out on every show. You also don't take into account sponsorship deals. Most if not all UFC fights have some sponsorship. Giants such as Nike are now involved in the sport so if you are the best you will be paid very well.

The UFC owns all fighters that fight in it's organisation therefore UFC fighters don't have to fork out huge amounts to promoters such as Don King and Bob Arum. Just look at iron Mike. He allegedly made huge amounts every fight. How much did he see of this? A hell of a lot less then was reported. The majority lined Dons pockets.

Owning all the fighters and canceling out the promoters means the best have to fight the best. There are no fluffer fights to make your career record look good like our mate Choc. Every fight is a challenge. To
compare UFC to NFL and NBL is unfair as these sports have been around for a long time and have a larger supporter base and endorsement deals.

Getting this back to to the NRL, how nice would it be to have a coach on an incentive based deal. No wins, poor performance = base salary.

aqua_duck

Coach
As to long lasting effects, the sport is way to short in existance to make that claim. Took decades for boxers to admit serious brain defeciancies from the sport.

Your second paragraph is correct. Dont know how old you are but go back to UFC and Pride 1. Rules where NON existant. Direct knees to the head whilst the opponent was on the ground was cool. I was in Tokyo for the launch of Pride... let me tell you, there were several occasions in which the fighters were inches from death. Which is why i wont judge anyone for watching it... i did. But now (age) tells me its a brutal sport that i no longer enjoy.

I suppose we mellow as we get older. :D
Pride and UFC are world's apart, MMA is still a young and evolving sport, the rules now in the UFC take a lot of the brutality out of it, the refs are highly trained and are appointed by the NSAC so have no vested interest to prolong any fight and do a very good job (sometimes too good) in stopping a fight if a guy is hurt.
All the fighters now are technically amazing, highly train athletes, there's no street fighters or thugs, those guys get smashed before they even go pro

I hear what you say about Pride Tru Saint. I am a huge fan of the UFC but I was never a huge fan of Pride. Pride had few rules ie stomping on downed opponents etc was ok. The UFC and most organisations nowadays have alot of rules. People that aren't familiar with the sport believe it is just a slug fest in a cage with no rules which could not be further from the truth.