What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Coops cage fighting?

ebbedfred

Bench
Fred, i dont believe Godz is trying to change your opinion ( hope i am not speaking out of line ), Godz is more than capable of vicing his opinion, as are you. Fact is ... it is a devisive sport. Its grown faster than a bush fire, and is now mainstream. In the old days ( showing my age ), you had to get tapes on the streets... yes tapes boys, no CD's or USB ports.

As i said earlier, the footage from Pride 1-5 made me ill. It was nothing more than a bloodfest... it has changed but at the end of the day it is one brutal visual.

Its also the by product of what comes from success of the MMA, such as video games etc. Yes, they exist everywhere, Black Ops, and others, but it does desensitise young kids as to the impact of a hit to head, or a choke hold or a ground and pound.

Dialogue is healthy on these issues.

I have no issue hearing his opinion, I've heard it all before and no doubt so has he. I respect anyones point of view, but know the chances of him changing his are about as likely as me changing mine. It's not meant to be a nasty argument at all, I do agree 100% that it's one of those polarising topics that will always divide opinion heavily. I use to heavilly defend the sport, but don't bother much these days unless someone is just talking rubbish with wrong facts or stats. Nothing Godz has said it out of line nor neccesarily incorrect. I don't deny the sport is brutal, I think it's safe to say most people would call it brutal, and I'd be worried about a person who thought it wasn't, but I don't watch it for the brutality, i watch it for the sport. I work with people who call footy "brutal", and compared to the sports they watch, it prob is, but again, I don't watch it to see guys belt each other with high shots, spear tackles and shoulder charges, I watch it for the sport.

And yes, my early MMA collection consists of good old VHS too.

TruSaint

Referee
Haha... oh the good old VHS.
As to the discussion, all good. We live in a great country with freedom of speech..
Go well.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. You either like it or you don't which is fine. I really enjoy the sport. I have also enjoyed the banter on here about the topic whether in support of the sport or against it.

I too am a remnant of the VHS era.....
I got a copy of UFC 1 off a work colleague in the mid nineties. He claimed he was related to Angus Young and got it off him. Not sure if he was crapping me but makes for a good yarn anyways!