What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Corey Norman - It's Official...

Tony Bongo

Bench
5/8 is a definite weakness in our squad! I'm glad we have signed Norman not only as a handy back up to Sandow and Hayne but hopefully a much better defender than Roberts and Kelly.

Now to turn the attention to other weak spots such as hooker and back row!

He's a far better defender than Roberts and Kelly IMO.

Pazza

First Grade
Well I hope the coaching staff spend the off season developing Kelly's body cause he isn't physical enough ATM to play in the middle of the field!

barney gumble

Juniors
Interesting signing. Norman shows plenty of potential but so far has been disappointing this season for the Broncs. We need to go hunting forwards now.

eels81236

Bench
Corey Norman signs with the Parramatta Eels
Eels Digital
Monday 25 March 2013 2:40 PM

The Pirtek Parramatta Eels today announce the signing of Corey Norman to a 3 year deal from the start of the 2014 season.
Since making his debut in 2010, Norman has played 49 NRL matches for the Brisbane Broncos.
?Brisbane got me to where I am today, and for that the Broncos will always be special to me. That said, I am ready for a new challenge from 2014 and heading to Parramatta next season gives me an opportunity to test myself outside of my comfort zone.
"Until then I?ll be doing my absolute best for the Broncos,? Corey Norman said.
Norman did however have a strong and direct message for Parramatta Eels members and fans:
?I understand that under the NRL rules I have until round 13 to change my mind, but I just wanted Eels members, fans and sponsors to know that I will be standing 100% by my decision to make the move to Sydney.
"I have made a commitment by signing a contract and I will see that commitment and contract through," he said.
At 185cm and 96 kilograms, Corey Norman shapes as an intimidating figure in the Parramatta backline and his versatility to play five-eighth, halfback or fullback has Head Coach Ricky Stuart confident that the Keebra Park High School product can become a dangerous weapon in the Eels' arsenal.
?Corey has all the attributes to have a successful career in the NRL. He is big and confident, has all the skills and has served a good apprenticeship under some pretty decent playmakers up in Brisbane," Stuart said.
"We can?t wait to get him down here and make him a part of our team and culture.?
After several years as the understudy to league great Darren Lockyer, Norman will head to Parramatta looking to establish himself as a frontline playmaker.
Pirtek Parramatta Eels Chief Executive Officer Ken Edwards believes there is no better place than Parramatta for the 22 year old to reach his full potential.
?Ricky Stuart has created an incredibly tight knit unit out of his squad this season, and it is our firm belief that Corey will relish the opportunity to work inside that environment," Mr Edwards said.
"Corey is an impressive young man, we believe he is also a future representative player and he will bring a lot to this club both on the field and off it."

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news-display/70761

Go, Ricky. I love it. Any other team would have been beaten by 50 last week.

Bow_rider

Juniors
I hope Parra haven't paid what is reported. He really has not set the world on fire so far. I believe he is around av$200000 per year player at best. Parra always pay overs for players because they struggle to attract players.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I hope Parra haven't paid what is reported. He really has not set the world on fire so far. I believe he is around av$200000 per year player at best. Parra always pay overs for players because they struggle to attract players.

Sounds like your judgement of player values is stuck in the era of the $4.3M salary cap. Back then an average player was paid $172k; Corey Norman is a spine player with rep potential, and most importantly size. He's worth $300k plus. If he reaches his potential he'll be worth over $500k.

By next year the top players in the game will all be getting about a million bucks a season. That makes Sandow and Norman's roughly half a million each a fair price.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I hope the coaching staff spend the off season developing Kelly's body cause he isn't physical enough ATM to play in the middle of the field!

He's 23 and he's only played 11 games in first grade. He might become a first grader but I hope we're not pinning our hopes on him.

Kornstar

Coach
Wow - showing a lot of class and maturity. Impressed!

Agreed, it really is irrelevant how much we have paid, he is coming and that statement says he WANTS to be here AND more importantly 2 people that matter in Sticky and Nolan want him here.......it's hard to argue with them, they have the experience!

Bow_rider

Juniors
Sounds like your judgement of player values is stuck in the era of the $4.3M salary cap. Back then an average player was paid $172k; Corey Norman is a spine player with rep potential, and most importantly size. He's worth $300k plus. If he reaches his potential he'll be worth over $500k.

By next year the top players in the game will all be getting about a million bucks a season. That makes Sandow and Norman's roughly half a million each a fair price.

The best will be getting that because of third party agreements. Not part of the salary cap. If the average players will be getting $300000 then the salary cap will get filled up pretty quick.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Agreed, it really is irrelevant how much we have paid, he is coming and that statement says he WANTS to be here AND more importantly 2 people that matter in Sticky and Nolan want him here.......it's hard to argue with them, they have the experience!
I don't think it's irrelevant how much we paid but I do trust that Sticky and Nolan in particular know how to manage our salary cap. Norman is not only young but he is also big with plenty of potential, good defense, experience under his belt and versatility. On top of that he is a clean skin and far less of a risk than players like Dugan for example. Every player we sign is a gamble but he seems better odds than a lot of others we have made in recent years.
Seems injury prone too.....

That's probably his biggest obstacle so far. I would love to see him have a good run free from injuries for us. There is no question the guy has the talent.

IFR33K

Coach
Our squad is coming together real nice.

Young capable players locked away for a few years. Some decent forwards in reggies, that should be blooded this year.

All we need now is a back rower and a hooker.

Maybe we can chase one of the sharkies back rowers. Bukuya (sp) goes good, and am a fan of fifita.

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
thats funny i think much the same thing about the broncos signing dugan both clubs are taking a pretty big gamble

Yep, Dugan is a risky signing. One difference is that Dugan has proven his potential on a number of occasions. On the downside Dugan seems a bit of a douche bag. But the Broncos haven't got much to lose at this point.

TheRam

Coach
Yes two players I would go hard for, when Cronulla are dismantled are Andrew Fifita & the other is Wade Graham.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Not sure about this signing. He's playing fullback atm but has been touted as a future 5/8. He played a few games at 5/8 last year but wasnt that impressed so it'll be interesting to see where he would play. But he's still pretty young, hopefully he'll prove me wrong and do well for us.