What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Jamberoo

Juniors
Good outcome.
The crowd this year would have been well down due to the uncertainty of people travelling from interstate and the reluctance of Melbournians to return to live sport in the usual numbers. Trading that out for 2024 & 2026 when things are back to normal is a good result for all parties.

Canard

Immortal
Good outcome.
The crowd this year would have been well down due to the uncertainty of people travelling from interstate and the reluctance of Melbournians to return to live sport in the usual numbers. Trading that out for 2024 & 2026 when things are back to normal is a good result for all parties.

Not sure if you are following the news mate, but there will be no crowds at sporting events in Melbourne for a while.

And I doubt we will even be out of lockdown by the 9 June.

Also, and this isn't directed at you per se, but why are people wedded to the idea that Melbourne can't host again until 2024? Surely the NRL just redoes the schedule and its here in 2022?

blaza88z

Coach
NZ doesn't work for a Wednesday fixture

That's a good point, it just does nothing for the game having Origin played in North QLD, except for the 20 thousand people who will fill the stadium.

North QLD is Rugby League land, has been for a long time. They could have used this as an opportunity to promote the game somewhere else.

sempmrh

Juniors
Also, and this isn't directed at you per se, but why are people wedded to the idea that Melbourne can't host again until 2024? Surely the NRL just redoes the schedule and its here in 2022?

It’s probably already locked in for Perth and Adelaide for 2022 and 2023. Getting two Origins in three years locked in for Melbourne is good. Guess we’re going to keep hearing the boring old ‘why is it at a neutral venue’ sooking for years to come.

Disappointed to no longer be able to go to Origin - oh, and disappointed to be in lockdown again, too. Thought we were beyond this shit by now.

Valheru

Coach
That's a good point, it just does nothing for the game having Origin played in North QLD, except for the 20 thousand people who will fill the stadium.

North QLD is Rugby League land, has been for a long time. They could have used this as an opportunity to promote the game somewhere else.

True

I guess they could have went Suncorp game 1 and then NZ game 2 on the Sunday but probably too much logistics involved there.

I have no problem with the concept of an NZ game on a Sunday in the future but the broadcasters would have to be willing to have a 5PM AEST kick off IMO.

big hit!

Bench
Not sure if you are following the news mate, but there will be no crowds at sporting events in Melbourne for a while.

Because Perth has 2022, Adelaide 2023.

It doesn't just 'redo' the schedule. These matches are contracted with the respective governments.

The whole reason Melbourne get 2024 and 2026 is due to losing this one.

Perth is locked in for 2022, Adelaide 2023. As Big Hit said.

I thought they might have shuffled games around to see if they could get game 3 at the MCG in July... but could still be uncertainty by then and they’ve gone how they have.

Canard

Immortal
Because Perth has 2022, Adelaide 2023.

It doesn't just 'redo' the schedule. These matches are contracted with the respective governments.

The whole reason Melbourne get 2024 and 2026 is due to losing this one.

I missed this, so 2024/26 has been announced as a the "replacement" for this game?

Canard

Immortal
It’s probably already locked in for Perth and Adelaide for 2022 and 2023. Getting two Origins in three years locked in for Melbourne is good. Guess we’re going to keep hearing the boring old ‘why is it at a neutral venue’ sooking for years to come.

Disappointed to no longer be able to go to Origin - oh, and disappointed to be in lockdown again, too. Thought we were beyond this shit by now.

Im with ya bud.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Good outcome.
Lock in a snap lockdown for Melbourne around Origin time 2024 & 2026 :eek:

Jamberoo

Juniors

Cases are steady, so at least 50/50 that will be out of lockdown Friday. If the MCG was a sellout and Qld did not offer $8m, I reckon they may have held off on any relocation announcement until this Thursday, when the Vic govt will announce what is happening with lockdown.
Also, Perth have a contract for SOO in 2022, so it will be 2024. Can’t expect Perth just to forgo their turn. Would be like giving Tokyo the 2024 Olympics instead of Paris.

Canard

Immortal
Cases are steady, so at least 50/50 that will be out of lockdown Friday. If the MCG was a sellout and Qld did not offer $8m, I reckon they may have held off on any relocation announcement until this Thursday, when the Vic govt will announce what is happening with lockdown.
Also, Perth have a contract for SOO in 2022, so it will be 2024. Can’t expect Perth just to forgo their turn. Would be like giving Tokyo the 2024 Olympics instead of Paris.

You couldn't wait until Thursday to change venues, that would be madness.

Even if we come out of lockdown (doubtful), they aren't going to suddenly allow 90,000 people to congregate in the CBD days later.

At best there will be a transition out of lockdown on Friday (30 people max etc)

Regardless, even if by some miracle it's lifted, sure as shit the other states won't open there borders beforehand, which kills the crowd anyway.

Latest posts