What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cory Norman - Ben Hunt combo

Vinnie

Juniors
Too much potential for trouble in that combination, My preference if not prepared to groom and try Field / Hunt the give me Shaun Johnson over Norman any day.

possm

Coach
Too much potential for trouble in that combination, My preference if not prepared to groom and try Field / Hunt the give me Shaun Johnson over Norman any day.

Hasn't Johnson gone to the Sharks?

Norman to 6 and Widdop to 1 is our best option. Dufty to improve, improve and improve for 2020 or when Widdop is out injured.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Looks like Saints have Dufty,Widdop and Hunt as per this year for 2019 which is a good thing as they now have a year under their belts playing together. It will only get better. They got to Week 2 of the finals and missed out due to injury to key players and a couple of last minute field goals so that was a great start. Hopefully next year they can go a couple of steps better.

The biggest changes for Saints in 2019 will be Winger and Centres. I think that is where we will see some key decision that will decide the way we go in 2019. Apparently they are still looking for an outside back.

With luck Sharks sign Johnson, Holmes realises he has no chance in the NFL and Saints sign Holmes to a nice long deal as our marquee back. Sharks give Johnson Holmes cash so can't fit him in and Saints then get an easy ride to finalise the deal. All this within the off-season.

BLM01

First Grade
If and only if...Widdop is going at the end of 19. Our only option it would seem is..pay overs for god knows who...as
Norman wont be signed by us for this year as we reportedly would not have the money and may go elsewhere

Johnson has probably already hooked up in principle with the Roosters for 2020....or
That leaves someone jumping out of the box from within or a Blake Austin as options available.
Every other good 6 is locked up for a term certain unless as I said we pay way overs to get them to break a contract

possm

Coach
The Dragons have a steady forward pack with K Sims coming in for Ah Mau the only significant change in the forwards. Lawrie needs to step up and our other young props need to show they also can step up. If these youngsters don't deliver, we need to sign another first grade ready prop forward.

Our backline is a different matter altogether, glaring flaws in Dufty's defence and his ability to take the high ball. These problems really need to be resolved in the off-season for him to be considered for selection at fullback.

With Macdonald moving on and Nightingale retiring, our winger stocks are going to be tested. Yes we have some good potential young wingers to come through however, if they do not prove to be first grade material, we have some real problems out wide.

Our centres are another matter altogether. If Mann stays then we have good competition in the form of Lomax and Mann to compete with Aitken and Lafai.

As for our halves, all was well a few weeks ago and then when the Widdop news brocke, so many questions now on what to do,

Last edited:

Como Connection

First Grade
If and only if...Widdop is going at the end of 19. Our only option it would seem is..pay overs for god knows who...as
Norman wont be signed by us for this year as we reportedly would not have the money and may go elsewhere

Johnson has probably already hooked up in principle with the Roosters for 2020....or
That leaves someone jumping out of the box from within or a Blake Austin as options available.
Every other good 6 is locked up for a term certain unless as I said we pay way overs to get them to break a contract
Good footballer Blake Austin
Interesting.
CC

possm

Coach

If we had the money for Hayne, we surely would have the money for Norman especially if Widdop moves on.

Como Connection

First Grade
With anyone and everyone who has olayed for Canberra, there is a natural progression to want to come and play with the team from the big smoke (Dragons) ..... so they should start talking with him.

He would do well away from Sticky and with a better team around him.
And wouldn't cost a lot.
I like him as a footballer.
Don't know what went wrong down there.
CC

SBD82

Coach
I didn't pay enough attention to him last year but dangerous in attack.
CC
He's always been a dangerous ball runner. Natural footy player in that respect. It's a shame. I really enjoyed watching him play when he was at the tigers and in his first year at Canberra.

Hard to know if his issues in defence this year were due to attitude. Seemed very unhappy at Canberra, and sticky doesn't exactly have a great record of coaching halves to reach their potential. Hopefully he sorts it out and comes back to the NRL.