What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Costigan named on bench for Queensland

Was just watching Fox Sports News and the QLD team was just announced with Costigan named on the bench for QLD in game 1.

well done Neville Costigan

Mal's Milk

Juniors
Well done Nev. SMH claims he's a "shock" inclusion....Any Raiders fan knows his form warrents a spot as Qld's new enforcer. Hope he has a big game, but not TOO big... ;)

icewind

Juniors
looks to me qld are going for a relatively smaller pack than nsw with more mobility and punishing defenders ie carroll, johnson, lillyman, costigan etc.

hope we don't lose too many metres up the middle because of it.

mongoose

Coach
icewind said:
looks to me qld are going for a relatively smaller pack than nsw with more mobility and punishing defenders ie carroll, johnson, lillyman, costigan etc.

hope we don't lose too many metres up the middle because of it.

nev plays well above his weight, one of the strongest backrowers in the comp.

birdsteeth

Juniors
You'll all no doubt remember the essay I posted around this time last year on why Raiders fans should support Qld. Massive surprise that NSW didn't name any Raiders players, though they did manage two Roosters! Be outraged NSW, and be very, very afraid next Wednesday night.........Neville's gonna be all over you like stink on a monkey.

raidersforme

Juniors
I couldn't have done it without you
Chris Wilson
space.gif

Canberra Raiders forward Neville Costigan will dedicate his State of Origin debut to his family, friends and the club that gave him a second chance. The Brisbane Broncos sacked Costigan last year after a string of alcohol-related incidents that climaxed in a drink-driving charge.
The 22-year-old said he had tried to make amends since moving to Canberra this season and was proud to represent the Raiders at Origin level.
Costigan will become the 10th Raiders player to represent Queensland and the 21st to play State of Origin.
"I feel like I've matured a lot since I moved to Canberra," Costigan said.
"This is massive. I feel like I've turned things around a bit.
"I didn't think I'd play consistent NRL after I got [sacked] but I got to Canberra and I'm just thankful for them giving me a second chance.
"I've stopped partying. It's not half as much, what I do now. It's just been good to get a wake-up call from something like that.
"This [Origin debut] is one way I'd like to thank them - all my family and friends who have helped me out when I got the sack from the Broncos."
The first person Costigan called after learning of his selection was his father, John.
He then called Debbie Rolfe, the mother of his best friend who helped raise him in his mid-teens.
"They were over the moon. They are as shocked as I am."
Costigan said Raiders coach Neil Henry had helped motivate him and get his career back on track.
"At the Broncos I think I got into a comfort zone. My first goal this year was to become a regular starter. State of Origin is a bonus."
Henry, the Queensland assistant coach, said he had confronted Costigan about his fitness when he arrived in Canberra.
"As I said to him, it's very hard to get selected for Queensland if you're coming off the bench for your club team, so he set a goal of being a starting player at the Raiders," Henry said.
"Nev's worked hard at getting more minutes in his game. He played 66 minutes against Souths last weekend and that's the kind of time we need ... every week."
Costigan has been suspended twice this season and next Wednesday's series opener will be his first confrontation with NSW five-eighth Braith Anasta since he slapped the Roosters' star in the face in round five.
"He probably will [try to get me back], but it won't worry me too much," Costigan said.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/de... league&story_id=585122&category=Rugby League

Well done nev it's deserved the effort and the animal in you will go well at origin

Paullyboy

Coach
I personally think he's done little to earn this selection. I am ecstatic to see a Raider in the Maroons side again, but I think this more goes to show that the selectors dont really go on form - rather they just go for players they've heard of somewhere along the line.

Mal's Milk

Juniors
Paullyboy said:
I personally think he's done little to earn this selection. I am ecstatic to see a Raider in the Maroons side again, but I think this more goes to show that the selectors dont really go on form - rather they just go for players they've heard of somewhere along the line.

U r kidding aren't you?

Granted, players like Crocker would have been picked ahead of Nev if match fit. But to say he's done little and the selectors may have heard his name without seeing him play is naive in the EXTREME.

Chachi

Bench
Paullyboy said:
To some extent I agree. I think we've had players show the same level of form on a more consistent basis over a longer period of time than Nev and not get a look in.

He is a little fortunate that QLD are a bit thin in the forwards (in comparison to their backs), but in saying that I still feel he is good enough to play origin. He also fits a certain style that QLD will need to dominate the NSW pack.

His selection is certainly not in the same class as Mullen or Lyon IMO.

Macko8

Juniors
Chachi said:
To some extent I agree. I think we've had players show the same level of form on a more consistent basis over a longer period of time than Nev and not get a look in.

He is a little fortunate that QLD are a bit thin in the forwards (in comparison to their backs), but in saying that I still feel he is good enough to play origin. He also fits a certain style that QLD will need to dominate the NSW pack.

His selection is certainly not in the same class as Mullen or Lyon IMO.

I dont know what your talking about when you say Costigan is a little fortunate.
Thats absolute shyte, he deserves to be there than anyone else in origin imo.

He and webb would of been my two starting backrowers for QLD.

Mullen haha are you serious????
The only reason mullen was selected for origin is because of johnsys retirement and the selectors fought it was only fair to give the number 7 to a newcastle counterpart.

Todd carney is MILES ahead of Mullen but todd will never be selected for rep duties anytime soon with the bias shown towards the newcastle club, and if f**king stinks.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Quote;
Todd carney is MILES ahead of Mullen but todd will never be selected for rep duties anytime soon with the bias shown towards the newcastle club, and if f**king stinks.

I agree with your bias call. I fuggin hate the Newcastle influence in the media. they don't even try to be impartial. That Murkin M. Johns & that half witt Harragon might as well have a tattoo of Joeys c**k on their foreheads.

Having said that joey did plump for Carney as five eighth if you saw that interview. Secondly, he'll be the NSW 6 for the next 5 years after this one regardless of where he's playing.

Mal's Milk

Juniors
Ronnie Dobbs said:
Quote;

Having said that joey did plump for Carney as five eighth if you saw that interview. Secondly, he'll be the NSW 6 for the next 5 years after this one regardless of where he's playing.

I've heard mention of John's endorsing Carney, but haven't actually seen the interview anywhere. Anyone?