What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Could players become free agents?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not seen it talked about so might not be an issue but if clubs are unable to fulfil the players contract are they within their rights to walk away from the contract?

I know under the eba the nrl has the right to renegotiate contracts if revenue drops by $10mill or more but that would require both parties agreement wouldn't it?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Not seen it talked about so might not be an issue but if clubs are unable to fulfil the players contract are they within their rights to walk away from the contract?

I know under the eba the nrl has the right to renegotiate contracts if revenue drops by $10mill or more but that would require both parties agreement wouldn't it?
Not sure this is such a wise idea.

I’ll let Mensa alumnus Joey Leilua explain why:

Joey Leilua: “Righteo Tigers, you need to pay me”

WT: “You need to play to get paid”

JL: “Fine then, I invoke clause 2.4 of my contract and declare myself a free agent”

next day

JL: “Hi Roosters, I’m a free agent. Can I come to your club?”

Roosters: “Sure, but we can’t pay you until you play”

JL: “Hmmmmm”

next day

JL: “Hi there Dragons, you could do with a centre like me. I’d like to join your club”

Dragons: “Sure thing, but we can’t pay you until you play”

JL: “Hmmmm”

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I love the idea of all contracts null and void.

And think it will happen.

2021 Salary cap will not be the same amount.

Cactus

Juniors

Basic contractual law would apply on this I would assume.

If a contract is breached by one party then under contractual law if that breach is identified and accepted as a breach by a court then yes the contract is then viewed as not operating and therefore any party can "walk away"

But as always with legal matters its subject to the ruling of the court to determine what (if any) part of the contract has been breached to then logically move on to then determine that that breach means one party has legally or illegally walked away or failed to comply.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
If anything the opposite will happen. Now that the players and clubs have nothing better to do for the next 6-8 weeks or more, clubs will be going hard on negotiating and discussions with their players that they know are off contract. They may not know how much salary cap they will have to work with after the shit storm has come and gone, but that won't stop them agreeing to terms under a speculatory framework.

All eyes are on the clubs themselves, because if any of them go under (Manly), there is going to be a feast of free agents all over the place.

Spot On

Coach
Players will just be hoping for any contract if this shut down for any extended period of time.

That said, this could be a massive opportunity to recalibrate all levels of RL and the amount of ridiculous $$$ the players were given in the last CBA and the clubs were given in their grants.

Hopefully V'landys fixes the mess.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

I doubt they rven need a clause. If the clubs cut wages and a player asks to leave, the club will probably say ok...

But where are they gonna go?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

JL: “Fine then, I invoke clause 2.4 of my contract and declare myself a free agent”

next day

Roosters: ...............................l

I know what the Roosters would really say to BJ:grin:

Silent Knight

First Grade

next day

Roosters: “Sure, but we can’t pay you until you play”

JL: “Hmmmmm”

next day

JL: “Hi there Dragons, you could do with a centre like me. I’d like to join your club”

A slight correction on the Dragons situation:

Mary McGregor - don't listen to the admin! Here is an 800k contract, a lifetime supply of McDonalds and a carton of Crown Lager courtesy of St George Leagues Club thrown in as a sweetener.

JL: “Hmmmm...could you also include a lifetime supply of KFC?”

Mary McGregor - fine just sign here dammit! If the team doesn't at least draw a game I won't get my contract extension!

Exsilium

First Grade

I’m confident the Dragons would be stupid enough to sign him and pay him regardless of whether he played or not :D

TheFrog

Coach
That agreement has already taken place. That is what the A in EBA stands for.