What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

covell stays with the sharks, raiders miss out

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
raiders miss out on covells services. bad news for rugby league in canberra.

----------------------

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html

THE Sharks have received a major boost on the eve of the finals, with point-scoring machine Luke Covell about to sign a new one-year deal. While Covell's unlikely rise to NRL top scorer doubles as one of this season's feel-good stories, his protracted contract talks have given Sharks fans a headache during an otherwise positive season.
But The Daily Telegraph can reveal Covell is poised to sign a new deal in coming days after fruitful talks between his management and Sharks officials.

The 26-year-old winger's agent Steve Gillis met with Cronulla CEO Tony Zappia on Thursday to finalise the deal, which will tie up the winger for a further season.

Preparations for tonight's clash against North Queensland at Toyota Park prevented Covell from agreeing to terms yesterday. He will re-sign Monday.

Gillis said Covell had attracted interest but had always expressed a desire to remain with the Sharks.
"His family lives in the area and he doesn't want to move away,'' Gillis said. "I had a good talk with Zap and it was all very positive. We are happy with a one-year deal but with an important match coming up, I'd thought I'd wait until afterthe game to talk the offer through with Luke.''

The Sharks have always wanted to retain the New Zealand international, but his emergence as one of the form wingers in the NRL translated to salary-cap pressure on the club's 2009 plans.

Cronulla have already spent up big, attracting internationals Trent Barrett and Anthony Tupou and leaving little room to move.
With Covell staying put, it is now inevitable that fellow winger Misi Taulapapa will be joining Bryson Goodwin elsewhere next season.

The Daily Telegraph understands Penrith have already expressed interest in Taulapapa, another unlikely 2008 success story at the Sharks. Goodwin signed with the Bulldogs several months ago.

Cronulla head into tonight's final premiership game needing a minor miracle to deliver the club's first minor premiership since 1999.
As well as victory over the lowly Cowboys, the Sharks need both Manly and Melbourne to stumble against Penrith and Souths respectively because of their inferior points difference.

Bay56

First Grade
Besty will be sorely missed next season ... I'd like to think one of the 20's could step in but there is nothing like a tall centre who can break the line that gives you strike power out wide ... we've got that on both sides this year, one of the reasons for our recent sucess.

I'm just wondering if the Raiders should earmark Joel Thompson for the centres next year ... he can break the line and has a good off-load that a flying winger can take advantage of.

SOO

Juniors
Good news for covell but i think he might be in the same situation this time next year seem as though he only signed for 1 year.

Big_Bad_Shark_Fan

First Grade
Good news for covell but i think he might be in the same situation this time next year seem as though he only signed for 1 year.

With all the money that would be thrown at him by Rugby Uion i think hes just leaving the door open. Plus if the NRL expands then theres obviously going to be cash to go around for high profile players.

Cryptic

Juniors
I don't know about Covell anyway... He is a strange player... Does some amazing things which shouldn't even be possible... Then f**ks up the simple stuff and stuffs it up really really well... Very hot and cold and it doesn't even appear to be a form thing sometimes... Overall I'm happy with our lot as long as we can keep some of them fit, we also have a few of the Toyota cup players who will be going to Souths/Logan next year and once they hit the 20's they often start on full weights training which will make a massive difference to their size and ability to play in the top grade.

Sydney_Raider

Juniors
I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but I can't help feeling disappointment at the losses of both Hinchcliffe and Costigan. I doubt if we would of gone for Flanagan if we knew how well both Hinchy and Buttriss were going to perform this year. Costigan is showing as he gets more game time just how valuable he can be. Adds another dimension to our pack as he has skill to match his punishing defence. Obviously there is more than meets the eye with the Costigan decision but I doubt there is a better alternative on the market.

Don't really care about Covell but I will say our lack of depth in the backs is a huge concern. Sure we have some promising juniors but they may be at least another 12 months away from being ready for the NRL. Watching Picker and Smith yesterday didn't fill me with great confidence about are halves either. We need to sign at least 2 NRL standard backs ASAP. From where is the question.

Cryptic

Juniors
Yeah I wasn't overly concerned about losing Costigan at first but he has really come back great guns once his fitness level returned and he had some game time and confidence back... With the money we have spare you would have thought we could have pushed a bit harder to keep our only other rep star left...