What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys dont deserve to be premiers!!

LRC

Im sorry to any cow cow fans...i do like the team and what they bring to the game...but.... really...they dont deserve to be there.
There form all year has been up and down... they have not been consistant enough and have been given a couple of floggings including one just a couple of weeks ago.

The cow cows have no where near been as good as the other 3 teams and yet are potential champions.Even the Broncos and Storm have been better most the year.

Is it time to go to a premier league system to reward the true champions who back up week in and out??
I dont know..
I do like the finals series, and the premiers and grandinalists of the last few years have been worthy ...but if the tigers arent premiers this year, then a great injustice will have been done.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....both teams turn up and play your hearts out.
Something we havent seen consistantly all season even as late as last week.

JJ

Immortal
the minor premiership rewards the team that is best week in and week out...

the premiership is more about who can stand up under immense pressure and play their best football when it's all on the line...

Parramatta and St G/Ill didn't do that last week, but the Tigers and Cowboys did... simple as that.

gaterooze

Bench
LRC said:
they have not been consistant enough and have been given a couple of floggings including one just a couple of weeks ago.

Prelim Final: Cowboys 29 - Parramatta 0

I'd say that was the most recent flogging.

Bomber

Bench
FFS.

- Brisbane lost both of their finals; not worthy premiers
- Cronulla and Manly went out in the first week; not worthy premiers
- Melbourne were beaten in an elimination match; not worthy premiers
- The Cowboys finished two wins behind the Dragons and Eels after 26 rounds, won the most games by a Cowboys team ever, and set points scoring records for the club
- Record representation in rep footy teams, and it's not over yet
- One of our players was recognised as the competition's best
- The Cowboys kept the minor premiers (who are accused of thinking they were already in the grand final) scoreless in a grand final qualifier. The same team that scored the most points in the competition this year and put 50 points on us earlier in the year. Yet in most peoples eyes this doesn't seem to count for much.

Still think we don't deserve to win?

wittyfan

Referee
LRC said:
Im sorry to any cow cow fans...i do like the team and what they bring to the game...but.... really...they dont deserve to be there.
There form all year has been up and down... they have not been consistant enough and have been given a couple of floggings including one just a couple of weeks ago.

The cow cows have no where near been as good as the other 3 teams and yet are potential champions.Even the Broncos and Storm have been better most the year.

Is it time to go to a premier league system to reward the true champions who back up week in and out??
I dont know..
I do like the finals series, and the premiers and grandinalists of the last few years have been worthy ...but if the tigers arent premiers this year, then a great injustice will have been done.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE....both teams turn up and play your hearts out.
Something we havent seen consistantly all season even as late as last week.

Booo! Sour grapes. :p

ucantseeme

Juniors
the cowboys have been incredibly lucky to get this far in the finals

Week 1: Tigers thrashed them
Week 2: They snuck passed a woeful Storm side
Week 3: They thrashed an Eels team with no pulse

they did enough to get to the GF but you must say the only in form team they played has been the tigers

JJ

Immortal
Bomber said:
FFS.

- The Cowboys finished two wins behind the Dragons and Eels after 26 rounds, won the most games by a Cowboys team ever, and set points scoring records for the club
- The Cowboys kept the minor premiers (who are accused of thinking they were already in the grand final) scoreless in a grand final qualifier. The same team that scored the most points in the competition this year and put 50 points on us earlier in the year. Yet in most peoples eyes this doesn't seem to count for much.

How the Cowboys perform in the GF will determine whether they deserve to win....

The question is whether they deserve to be in the GF, and the answer is enquivocally - YES... they've done what they had to, and turned it around after a shocking loss to the Tigers...

Sour grape thread - as Sully says.. BOO

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I agree to a certain extent, although it may sound like sour grapes, I said the same thing in 2000, when 4th played 5th in the GF.

4th playing 5th in the GF is not a true indication of who has been the better team all year, its just a pionter as to who has finnished the year off in the better form.

However I would not go to the extent of saying they don't deserve to win.

Good luck to them, and the Tigers as well. I'm sure it will be a high quality grand final.

Mr Saab

Referee
Bomber said:
FFS.

bloody well said.

The cows finished 2 games behind the Eels and Dragons on the ladder..2 games!
So what that the cows were smashed 2 weeks back...big f**king deal.
The Eels were hammered by the broncos this yr..they were down 42-0 at halftime!
If the Eels were so deserving then they wouldnt have played like a group 15 team in a prelim final.
The Dragons had 40 put on them in i think 4 of their first 5 games!
The Broncos lost their last 8
The Tigers "choked" when leading 16-0 vs the panthers in rnd 26 and were an avg team up until 10 weeks ago.

This season has been like no other. If the cows win then they are deserved winners.

Bomber

Bench
I said the same thing in 2000, when 4th played 5th in the GF.

Brisbane (1st) played the Roosters (2nd)

The only grand final in the McIntyre system not to involve the minor premiers was the 1999 decider, when 3rd placed Melbourne beat 6th placed St George Illawarraa

Mr Saab

Referee
Twizzle said:
I agree to a certain extent, although it may sound like sour grapes, I said the same thing in 2000, when 4th played 5th in the GF.

4th playing 5th in the GF is not a true indication of who has been the better team all year, its just a pionter as to who has finnished the year off in the better form.

However I would not go to the extent of saying they don't deserve to win.

Good luck to them, and the Tigers as well. I'm sure it will be a high quality grand final.

what are you talking about?
2000 was 1 broncos vs 2 roosters.

4th vs 5th has never happened since this system was put in place in 1999.
1999 was 3rd vs 6th...but apart from that, the 1st place team has always made it (this yr excluded)

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
sorry, I stand corrected, I was referring to 1999, when the Storm won from 6th

Mr Saab

Referee
Twizzle said:
sorry, I stand corrected, I was referring to 1999, when the Storm won from 6th

wrong again.
they won from 3rd place.

wanna try for a 3rd time ;-)

chunk

Juniors
JJ said:
the minor premiership rewards the team that is best week in and week out...

the premiership is more about who can stand up under immense pressure and play their best football when it's all on the line...

Parramatta and St G/Ill didn't do that last week, but the Tigers and Cowboys did... simple as that.

Agree

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
wrong again.
they won from 3rd place.

wanna try for a 3rd time ;-)

thanks Charlie, I'll check with you next time before I post

smeghead

Bench
80 minutes will decide who deserves to be Premiers this year.

Unless extra time is required. By which time my head would have surely explloded

Both the Cows andd the tigers have performed sensationally under big game pressure and the 2 heavy weights were not able to do this - so they do deserve to be in the GF.

Having said that, had we been under the AFL final system the Cows would not have got a second chance. So the question that needs to be asked is "is the system adequate? But you can't blame the cows, they have played the cards that they have been dealt and come up with a blinder of a performance on the weekend and deserve their spot.

The Colonel

Immortal
gaterooze said:
Prelim Final: Cowboys 29 - Parramatta 0

I'd say that was the most recent flogging.

That says it all. They won. They are in the GF. They are worthy. Past results don't count in Grand Finals........

Mr Saab

Referee
waltzing Meninga said:
had we been under the AFL final system the Cows would not have got a second chance. So the question that needs to be asked is "is the system adequate? But you can't blame the cows, they have played the cards that they have been dealt and come up with a blinder of a performance on the weekend and deserve their spot.

thats is wrong.
Under the AFL system the cows would have player manly up in NQ and who knows what would have happened. I dont they would have lost up there to Manly.
AFL system (used by the ARL in 1995/6) is
1 v 4
2 v 3
5 v 8
6 v 7

Latest posts