What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys forward Scott Bolton pleads guilty to common assault

jc155776

Coach
So found guilty of assaulting a woman.

Never stood down by the NRL at the time.

Chose to stand himself down as he didn’t want the media scrutiny.

What punishment should the NRL hand out to a player found guilty of assaulting a woman? Or is a little bit of assault against women ok?

TheFrog

Coach
Problem is that "attempted indecent assault" is not a chargeable offence in QLD.
Except it happened in NSW. Not sure it is here either. He'll get a wee sit down I expect, in the order of four weeks. The game cannot afford the bad press if it doesn't do anything.

Never stood down by the NRL at the time.
I think they learned their lesson in this regard from the Brett Stewart incident.

Last edited:

AJB1102

First Grade
Heard the result of this on the TV, the "I was too drunk to remember" defence is such a bad look and doesn't help the bogan moron perception of NRL players.

Works great though. From snorting cocaine on CCTV in Canberra, to home invasions in New York.

some11

Referee
Would you have taken ten weeks or six with a tour of you being a dickhead on camera?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/break...n/news-story/6e633b188f54f0a5e4296fc6ca57cd7c

The NRL will begin the biggest crackdown on misbehaving players in its history on Thursday by imposing a bizarre and embarrassing punishment on Cowboys prop Scott Bolton.

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Wednesday that Bolton, who assaulted a woman last year, will have to visit all 16 NRL clubs to educate players about the consequences of misbehaving by showing them the CCTV footage of the incident. He will also cop a six-week suspension.

Xcalibre

Juniors
Would you have taken ten weeks or six with a tour of you being a dickhead on camera?

https://www.news.com.au/sport/break...n/news-story/6e633b188f54f0a5e4296fc6ca57cd7c

The NRL will begin the biggest crackdown on misbehaving players in its history on Thursday by imposing a bizarre and embarrassing punishment on Cowboys prop Scott Bolton.

The Daily Telegraph revealed on Wednesday that Bolton, who assaulted a woman last year, will have to visit all 16 NRL clubs to educate players about the consequences of misbehaving by showing them the CCTV footage of the incident. He will also cop a six-week suspension.

Just when you think the NRL cannot get any more ridiculous...

Is this their idea of punishment for a bloke whom just avoided the new rules brought in today? Whatever the reason, it is pretty bizarre.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Just when you think the NRL cannot get any more ridiculous...

Is this their idea of punishment for a bloke whom just avoided the new rules brought in today? Whatever the reason, it is pretty bizarre.
The punishment has not been decided. This is just speculative reporting from the Tele at the moment.

Xcalibre

Juniors
The punishment has not been decided. This is just speculative reporting from the Tele at the moment.

Thanks for the clarification.

If it were to become real, it’s actually not that weird. It means a player can give a first hand account to the majority of other players in the comp of how something you may think is minor at the time, can actually be a serious issue that can have major impact on your life.

jc155776

Coach
If Bolton has agreed to the punishment to shave four weeks off I think it’s fair enough.

Maybe wake a couple younger kids up in other clubs the dangers of acting like a f**k head on the piss.

I’d actually say the length of suspension seems fair based on a prior clean history etc.

Vee

First Grade
Thanks for the clarification.

If it were to become real, it’s actually not that weird. It means a player can give a first hand account to the majority of other players in the comp of how something you may think is minor at the time, can actually be a serious issue that can have major impact on your life.
Agree. I think it's great outside-the-box thinking and a good way to get through to these knuckleheads. "It happened to me, it can happen to you."

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
I actually think the Bolton idea has merit.

To us it does.... not to footy players. No matter how many NRL scandals there are in the game, the average player will still get absolutely wasted and find themselves in the news for the wrong reasons.

I think many of them think 'it would never happen to me' or are simply missing a few screws (a lot more screws after the boos).

To us it does.... not to footy players. No matter how many NRL scandals there are in the game, the average player will still get absolutely wasted and find themselves in the news for the wrong reasons.

I think many of them think 'it would never happen to me' or are simply missing a few screws (a lot more screws after the boos).
The vast majority are well behaved. This idea it’s all NRL players is a gross exaggeration composed by an agenda laden press.