What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowboys robbed clear as day

jono

Juniors
When you read posts across the entire LU forum and find such a widespread multipartisan condemnation of officialdom , it makes you wonder just how far into the sand the NRL , ARLIC and Bill Harrigan can stick their collective heads in the sand.
Not just over last night , but for so many inconsistencies and outright f**kups over the years!

Earl

Coach
Regardless of the result and whether or not the decisions decided the game, the incompetent refereeing ruined the match.

The warning signs have been there all year, not a week has gone by where players, coaches, the media and fans have not had to have decisions explained to them.

The standard of refereeing has drastically declined under Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper, and since the introduction of 2 referees the standard has dramatically declined.

Someone with some balls needs to fix it, cause it isn't going to fix itself.

I have absolutely no doubt that this years Grand Final will contain some sort of Referring controversy.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Maybe I need to have my eyes checked too.....I just watched the replay in slow motion several times, and I saw Foran's hand going toward the ball but Thurston's hand being the one that flicked it away.

This is essentially what happened, but if you focus very closely on Foran's index finger you will see he does touch the ball. However, I am convinced most people have been fooled by a bit of an optical illusion into thinking Foran got a much bigger touch than he actually did. It was basically Thurston who knocks the ball away with a couple of Foran fingertips.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
Benefit of the doubt should be removed and 'refs call' more widely used. The video ref should be there to assist in making decisions on what refs miss, which in a fast paced game is only natural, rather than assist refs in teaching them the rules.

Any ref who says 'I just want you to have a look at the whole thing' or similar or refers to the VR every time a try is scored is incompetent and should be sacked.

firechild

First Grade
Benefit of the doubt should be removed and 'refs call' more widely used. The video ref should be there to assist in making decisions on what refs miss, which in a fast paced game is only natural, rather than assist refs in teaching them the rules.

Any ref who says 'I just want you to have a look at the whole thing' or similar or refers to the VR every time a try is scored is incompetent and should be sacked.

No dramas with that but would it have changed anything? In Taufua's case, Clarke was pretty satisfied it was a try and just wanted it all checked. In the Oldfield try, he ruled that Thurston touched it (on the run it certainly looked that way as Thurston was closer) and ruled 6 again.

gronkathon

First Grade
Tigers could've made the finals still, but couldn't manage to even beat the Roosters the next week, can only blame themselves

I agree WT had their chances to win that game.

However to follow through the scenario where that game is won by WT before Golden point you also have to factor in farah breaks his hand in the first few minutes of Golden Point and that was officially the end of our season

coolsteve

Juniors
Regardless of the result and whether or not the decisions decided the game, the incompetent refereeing ruined the match.

The warning signs have been there all year, not a week has gone by where players, coaches, the media and fans have not had to have decisions explained to them.

The standard of refereeing has drastically declined under Bill Harrigan and Stuart Raper, and since the introduction of 2 referees the standard has dramatically declined.

Someone with some balls needs to fix it, cause it isn't going to fix itself.

I have absolutely no doubt that this years Grand Final will contain some sort of Referring controversy.
this

firechild

First Grade
Hasn't stopped others from STILL complaining about the GI try. I can't speak on the behalf of others but in isolation that call is fair albeit it was still a 50/50 that went the Sea Eagles way. It's hard to take, just like the Taufua 'he didn't intentionally ground it' farce but that's what happens when the rules are as messed up as they are.

Cowboys drew level on the back of a strip call but the difference here is that it didn't take the referees over ten replays to come up with the wrong call. It wasn't apparent that the call was wrong until their was a replay. I wouldn't say they came back into the game on the back of that call because they were the better side during that 30- 50 40-50 minute period.

Nothing wrong with pointing out that the reffing wasn't all one sided but given the circumstances you'd surely understand why fans are blowing up.

Doesn't really make any difference to the scoreboard whether the decision was on the run or after 15 looks by the video ref. Fact is, tries were scored by both teams that should not have been awarded.

As far as the Cowboys being the better side for a 10 minute period. Besides scoring off a forward pass, the only time they looked like scoring all night was when Tamou put in a solo effort. Their attack was flat and they just didn't look dangerous. Maybe they would have scored but I would back Manly's defense to hold up against a pretty poor attack.

gUt

Coach
Re: the Taufua try. I thought at the time it was a fair enough call but that was without his foot/sideline coming into the equation. If you look at what he's saying to his team mates after, he himself thought it was a double movement. Neither here nor there I guess but generally the players know better than anyone what actually happened.

Grapple

Bench
Benefit of the doubt basically absolves any responsibility of the video ref by enabling them to hide behind the grey area of "doubt" and not adhere to any objective standard or set of rules.
It really seems like the criteria is: If all else fails - just award BOTD try.
Maybe we could have a new criteria: When in doubt, don't award it.

Didgi

Doesn't really make any difference to the scoreboard whether the decision was on the run or after 15 looks by the video ref. Fact is, tries were scored by both teams that should not have been awarded.

As far as the Cowboys being the better side for a 10 minute period. Besides scoring off a forward pass, the only time they looked like scoring all night was when Tamou put in a solo effort. Their attack was flat and they just didn't look dangerous. Maybe they would have scored but I would back Manly's defense to hold up against a pretty poor attack.

So we didn't look like scoring when Tate ignored Graham on the right edge?

Ladmate

Bench
I thought the first try was ok. Defender knocked it out, he regathers and score so there is no double movement. 2nd try was a joke though.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
Doesn't really make any difference to the scoreboard whether the decision was on the run or after 15 looks by the video ref.

Of course it does. It is much easier for a ref to get a call wrong on the field than it is for a video ref watching replay after replay with all the time in the world.

firechild said:
Maybe they would have scored but I would back Manly's defense to hold up against a pretty poor attack.

Those two decisions robbed us of the chance to see what would have happened.

firechild

First Grade
Of course it does. It is much easier for a ref to get a call wrong on the field than it is for a video ref watching replay after replay with all the time in the world.

Good comprehension skills Frank. I said it makes no difference to the scoreboard regardless of whether the mistake comes from the on field ref or the video ref. If you disagree, explain how.