What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cowgirls to Cairns?

Vee

First Grade
Not sure where to put this...

‘Silly not to look at it’: Cowboys’ top brass confirm discussions to move NRLW team to Cairns​

Tight-lipped North Queensland Cowboys officials have finally tipped their hats, confirming plans are afoot to send the club’s Townsville-based NRLW team 350km north to Cairns.

Samuel Davis
August 20, 2024 - 2:44PM

Tight-lipped North Queensland Cowboys officials have finally tipped their hats, confirming plans are afoot to send the club’s Townsville-based NRLW team 350km north to Cairns in a bombshell move that could transform rugby league across the region.

But one of the game’s pioneering stars has flagged that players’ welfare must come first with development, recovery and access to a high performance facility highlighted as key issues for the squad.

The Cairns Post first reported the NRL powerhouse planned to relocate the women’s team to the Far North by 2026 in July, with team bosses already in discussions with Cairns Regional Council and the Queensland government. A hastily arranged crisis meeting with Cowboys’ NRLW players, who had yet to be informed of the plans, was held soon after with “an advanced relocation proposal” tabled to the playing group, sparking criticism from the league’s players union.

The club had refused to comment for the last three weeks but in a scheduled appearance on ABC Grandstand at the weekend, general manager Micheal Luck acknowledged discussions were underway to head north.

“We want to make sure that our footprint, which is from Sarina all the way north to the Cape, is well and truly covered,” Mr Luck said. “If there’s opportunity there for one of our teams to have a better facility in an environment that’s purpose built for them then we’d be silly not to look at it.”

After inspecting Jones Park in Westcourt as a possible home base for the women’s program, it’s understood team officials are committed to playing at Barlow Park, subject to a major upgrade of facilities.

“We’ve looked at what our footprint looks like with facilities and with the Olympics coming to Brisbane in 2032 there is state and federal money available for elite sport and development,” Mr Luck said. “When there’s something to tell, I’m sure that (CEO Jeff Reibel) ‘Reibs’ and (chair) Lewis (Ramsay) will get on the front foot and be open and transparent about it.”

NRLW legend Heather Ballinger, who started playing rugby league in Cairns, said she hoped the game’s power brokers had considered the challenges a standalone women’s team would face in the Far North.

“The first couple of years is going to be hard because there’s not much in Cairns,” Ms Ballinger, who won a premiership with the Brisbane Broncos in 2018, said. “It’s a tourism town. When you think about moving the girls to Cairns, they’ve got a $40m high performance centre and Cairns hasn’t got all that. Barlow Park would be small (compared to Queensland Country Bank Stadium).
“Then you’ve potentially got to ship the whole family. Some (players) may have kids. You’d be asking, ‘What’s the education system like?’”

Access to medical staff and coaches would also come into consideration for the players, the legendary Jillaroos and Maroons prop said.
“One of the biggest things for me when I started was they didn’t just sign us up for the sake of having a women’s team and that they would look after us,” Ms Ballinger, who is currently managing a pool in Longreach, said. “When I was at the Broncos we had the old changing rooms and we did our workouts with all their old gear. Their priority was the blokes.”

Ms Ballinger recalled touring the Broncos’ men’s state of the art training facility at Red Hill, just across the road from the NRL team’s spiritual home where the women were based.

“I just thought, ‘Geez, these boys are so lucky,’” she said. “I don’t know what other clubs offered their girls. I was just very grateful for the opportunity. It was never about the money. It was about playing for the Broncos.”

Mr Luck said the Cowboys’ women’s team would retain its name, even if it is based in Cairns.

When contacted Cairns Regional Council and the Cowboys refused to comment.It’s understood that the council’s interim CEO John Andrejic has grown increasingly frustrated with information related to council matters being reported on publicly.

jim_57

Staff member
Barlow Park is set to get a new 5k grand stand for the Olympics, then they’ll have 15k in temp seating to bring it up to 20k. How hard would it be to keep that temp seating handy for NRL games I wonder.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Barlow Park is set to get a new 5k grand stand for the Olympics, then they’ll have 15k in temp seating to bring it up to 20k. How hard would it be to keep that temp seating handy for NRL games I wonder.
Depends if they are hiring it or buying it I suppose. Cowboys arent taking home game away fromm their beut stadium. Best bet would be to try and get Cairns council to buy Sydney club home games and play Cowboys up there.

Say Sharks v cowboys only gets 10k in Sydney, getting ticket revenue from 20k in Cairns plus $200k sweetener from Council might be enticing for Sharks to move the game up there.

MugaB

Coach
I think its more they don't care about the women's game. Which is pretty dumb as its the fastest growing area of the NRL
It's funny, I said a few years back the cowboys had been neglecting Cairns as part if their region for a while, one token game here of there wasn't enough, now they've realised that they need to do more there, it's a great idea to get the women team up there, as long as its fully funded properly not half arsed, could be a lightning rod for other women's teams to branch away from the men's shadows and own there own slice of territory, albeit 350 kms away, but atleast its a start, hopefully they've really thought about the logistics, like the article has suggested, the tourist town angle suggested, probably was what the Pasifika team was hoping to be (hotel/resort based), not sure we'll see the cowboys prosper up there if they mess this up

jim_57

Staff member
Depends if they are hiring it or buying it I suppose. Cowboys arent taking home game away fromm their beut stadium. Best bet would be to try and get Cairns council to buy Sydney club home games and play Cowboys up there.

Say Sharks v cowboys only gets 10k in Sydney, getting ticket revenue from 20k in Cairns plus $200k sweetener from Council might be enticing for Sharks to move the game up there.

Yeh obviously doesn’t need to be a Cowboys home game, Rabbitohs were the most recent club with a deal at Cairns. If they can get it to 20k again with some corporate facilities in that new stand I wouldn’t rule out Cowboys taking a home game there either really, obviously depends on the deal they have with Stadiums Queensland and what Cairns offer.