What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

Timbo

Staff member
Mark Waugh was one of the laziest batsmen I’ve ever seen.

How on earth could a bloke who’d chuck it away so he didn’t miss the jump on the 5th at Doomben ever be in consideration?

Bazal

Post Whore
I think Waugh's laziness is overstated because he just made it look so easy....

That said I don't think he's the man for the job. I'd love to see someone like Mike Hussey in the role personally.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
good call Baz but I have to query why we need a batting coach when we already have Langer as head coach and he was a top order batsman

Simmo never used a batting coach, he did it all himself and he was our best coach ever

Not sure why we have to have so many hangers on around the coaching group

Bazal

Post Whore
good call Baz but I have to query why we need a batting coach when we already have Langer as head coach and he was a top order batsman

Simmo never used a batting coach, he did it all himself and he was our best coach ever

Not sure why we have to have so many hangers on around the coaching group

I suppose it's the modern game.

I mean, if we were batting like shit and we were the only side without one, we would all be up in arms about that.

There are probably too many coaches but that's just the way it is, and I don't dislike the idea of having a specific coach for batting (or bowling/fielding for that matter). It's not a bad idea to have someone who can dedicate more time to each role and spend a few hours with blokes who feel they need pointers, the head coach has to look after everything.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
So we have Hads, Hick and I'm sure we have a bowling coach.

So what does the garden gnome actually do ? He seems to be just all about the head space he hasn't got much to do if he has all these other hangers on

Bazal

Post Whore
So we have Hads, Hick and I'm sure we have a bowling coach.

So what does the garden gnome actually do ? He seems to be just all about the head space he hasn't got much to do if he has all these other hangers on

He's the head coach. He runs the whole setup and makes sure it follows with whatever direction he has in mind. Each coach for each individual discipline is there for a mor targeted and perhaps technical approach.

I mean, do you reckon JL could do much with the bowlers on the technical aspects of their actions?

I'm not sure we can criticise the setup when it's the status quo for world cricket. The issue isn't the roles, it's the people in them

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I mean, do you reckon JL could do much with the bowlers on the technical aspects of their actions?

No, but I also don't think our bowling coach would either. Generally that has to happen at 12-16 years of age, once they are mature players their action is pretty much set, Mitchel Johnson tried for years to get his left arm up in his delivery stride but just couldn't

I remember when Bing had issues with overstepping and Phil Hughes had issues with his technique, they both sought outside help, Bing went to Dennis Lillee and Phil Hughes went to another bloke, forget his name, so when it comes to technical issues I dont think all our hangers on are very helpful

Bazal

Post Whore
No, but I also don't think our bowling coach would either. Generally that has to happen at 12-16 years of age, once they are mature players their action is pretty much set, Mitchel Johnson tried for years to get his left arm up in his delivery stride but just couldn't

At this level I think totally rebuilding a technique is a different thing to what I mean. I;m talking about the little tweaks all cricketers need at times over a season. Especially when searching for form. Maybe a bowler has started falling away in an effort to find a bit more pace. Maybe he's changed his wrist position, maybe he wants to work on a slower ball or perfect a yorker. Those are the sort of things these dedicated coaches deal with, and they happen to most cricketers at some time or another. Form or fitness or just a run of bad luck can lead to players doing little things that need correcting.

I remember when Bing had issues with overstepping and Phil Hughes had issues with his technique, they both sought outside help, Bing went to Dennis Lillee and Phil Hughes went to another bloke, forget his name, so when it comes to technical issues I dont think all our hangers on are very helpful

Then that just demonstrates that there is a need for them, but we have consistently had the wrong people in those positions, I would have thought?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Then that just demonstrates that there is a need for them, but we have consistently had the wrong people in those positions, I would have thought?

completely agree with this bit

case in point, when Phil Hughes kept hitting the ball off the middle of the bat to Guppy at second slip, the garden gnome was our batting coach, no wonder he went to some one else

roofromoz

First Grade
Mark Waugh will be just telling them all to hit the ball on the full anyway. Stop making it so complicated.

Incorrect

Coach
Just heard Gilly on fox say the test side is being picked tomorrow
Watch them name an extended squad of 48 because they haven’t got a clue who to pick. It will be reduced to a squad of 44 on Test match eve with the final XI being named 10 minutes before the toss after 3 hours of furious Rock-Paper-Scissors by all in contention...

TheParraboy

Staff member

From the link above

Possible Australia squad:
Aaron Finch, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Marcus Harris, Josh Hazlewood (vc), Travis Head, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Mitch Marsh (vc), Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (c,wk), Mitchell Starc, Chris Tremain, Peter Siddle.

TheParraboy

Staff member
When Gary Sobers (who is admired and respected globally) was interviewed by Crash in cricket legends and the chat went into his 6 x 6s of Nash in one over in county cricket.

Sobers says that is the one thing that people ask him about all the time and his response ?

"That is not cricket"

Bazal

Post Whore
When Gary Sobers (who is admired and respected globally) was interviewed by Crash in cricket legends and the chat went into his 6 x 6s of Nash in one over in county cricket.

Sobers says that is the one thing that people ask him about all the time and his response ?

"That is not cricket"

Sobers also said he much prefers the modern attacking approach to batting to anything he saw as a player in the same interview...

When he said "that is not cricket" he was talking about the game being so much more, and his time in the game being so much more, than one six-ball over that people remember. Not that hitting tonnes of sixes isn't cricket.

That being said I agree that T10 is only useful for carnival weekends and exhibition,