What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crisis rocks Parramatta club as director quits

Tony Bongo

Bench
regardless, all directors appointed outside an ellection should go to a ballat to members..

I completely agree with this Stagger. I know that this is a pain, but we should change the constitution to have a bye-election whenever a board member's position becomes vacant. If we had absentee/online voting as well this wouldn't be a difficult process.

Bazal

Post Whore
Why would you hope it's true? Are you that bitter?

If Osborne gets the arse I'll believe he deserved it, and I'll join you in kicking his arse down the road. But until then he's the CEO of my footy club and I'll assume a bunch of losers have it in for him for political/personal reasons.

Which is far more likely.

Yeah, that's it. It's got nothing to do with wanting the incompetent loudmouthed fool gone because I believe he's rubbish at his job, it's just that I'm bitter :roll:

eels81236

Bench
Why not? Didn't your parents lend you their car occasionally when you were a teenager, or give you driving lessons?

This whole affair is pretty unsettling and the answers given aren't really explaining anything. I do believe it's a beat up to a point, but only to a point. I was glad when Fitzy and his mob got ousted and we needed a breath of fresh air. Not sure this new air is that fresh though.

My parents certainly did. They also owned the car.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When I was 18 my mate and I used to thrash his dad's company car all weekend.

Brand new Subaru Liberty with all the bells and whistles. Chicks were impressed. Only we could never get them to believe my mate owned it.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Duncan was a sponsor then became a board member. Pirtek was appointed whilst Fitzy was in charge.

Regardless of how dodgy it looks, we're definitely not getting the $$ value from our major sponsor that we ought to be.

A club like ours should be bringing in $1mill per season minimum.
Manly managed to bring in a $1mill per season deal, and they're not on TV as often as us NOR in the public eye anywhere near as much.

If losing Duncan means losing Pirtek I won't be that fussed. Should open the doors to bring in the cash value we're worth in sponsorship

[[and don't forget Spags has sponsors queuing out the door :sarcasm:]]

strider

Post Whore
Regardless of how dodgy it looks, we're definitely not getting the $$ value from our major sponsor that we ought to be.

A club like ours should be bringing in $1mill per season minimum.
Manly managed to bring in a $1mill per season deal, and they're not on TV as often as us NOR in the public eye anywhere near as much.

If losing Duncan means losing Pirtek I won't be that fussed. Should open the doors to bring in the cash value we're worth in sponsorship

[[and don't forget Spags has sponsors queuing out the door :sarcasm:]]

here comes "the bank" :clap:

i just hope our next sponsor doesn't get a board seat aswell - cos then we'll never get our money's worth

oldmancraigy

Coach
here comes "the bank" :clap:

i just hope our next sponsor doesn't get a board seat aswell - cos then we'll never get our money's worth

So I should decline the seat on the board I was offered?

It might have been a conflict of interest anyway - I was hoping to vote to only pay $10/year to have 'oldman' written on the front of the jersey.

Pirtek may have started their sponsorship with the Eels while Fitzgerald was in charge, but their last contract extension was last year in March, a few months before Duncan was given a place on the board. The last deal had nothing to do with Fitzy.

http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=35502

Indeed Tony, and when it was struck, most were happy with the insider mail that we were now getting "our true worth" with some rumours of $1m a year.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
There's no way we would knock back sponsors who want to put more my in than Pirtek. Regardless of whether Duncan was on the board.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There's no way we would knock back sponsors who want to put more my in than Pirtek. Regardless of whether Duncan was on the board.

It's not that we would knock them back but would we chase them for a better deal while the current sponsor's Managing Director is on the board?

bartman

Immortal
regardless, all directors appointed outside an ellection should go to a ballat to members..

I agree with you there Stags. Fat chance we've got of getting a constitutional change through that reduces the "power' of an incumbent Board - whether it was the old lot, or the new lot. Slef-interest is very strong in politics, and in corporate governance (such as mutli-million dollar club Boards).

Gronk

Staff member
Parramatta executive denies owing player money as new claims surface of unpaid debts

Kate McClymont

Be debt free-get out of debt fast Proven advice from caring experts

THE Parramatta Eels chief executive, Paul Osborne, who owes money to the club's chairman, has denied he owes money to a senior player who was promised a lucrative deal to join the club in recent years.
When asked about the matter yesterday, the player said he was on holiday and: ''I'm not getting involved in any of this crap.''
Mr Osborne denied through his lawyers yesterday that he owed any money to any player.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The Herald can also reveal Mr Osborne, 45, was investigated over fraud allegations when a member of the ACT Parliament.
A builder, Barrie Morrison, claimed yesterday that Mr Osborne still owed him $29,500 for work done building a house on the outskirts of Canberra.
Although the Australian Federal Police cleared Mr Osborne of wrongdoing in relation to Mr Morrison's claims he had forged his signature and stolen a cheque, an internal review of the initial police investigation was scathing.
It found that Mr Osborne, a former NSW police officer, was in daily contact with the investigating officer, had been leaked other witnesses' statements which enabled him ''to anticipate the scope of the investigation''.
This was the first investigation into a ''serving member of the Legislative Assembly'', the 2001 internal affairs report said. ''That being the case, the conduct of the investigation should have been second to none. This was not the case.''
The Parramatta Rugby League Club board is in turmoil after director Glenn Duncan quit last week over the way the board was handling allegations involving Mr Osborne's financial dealings.
The board was told that, apart from Mr Osborne having to repay $35,000 in personal expenses he accrued on his club credit card, he had been slow in repaying $9000 in cash collected from the sale of football jerseys in December 2009.
The board was told when Mr Osborne was asked to repay the money he claimed he had given $5000 of it to a senior player. The money was finally repaid in March last year in $100 notes.
Club chairman Roy Spagnolo told a recent board meeting he believed money he had lent Mr Osborne may have been used to repay the amount.
When confronted by Mr Duncan at a board meeting recently, Mr Spagnolo admitted Mr Osborne still owed him money. Mr Spagnolo later sent an email to directors saying, ''Having reflected on the matter, and in the interest of probity,'' he would not deal ''with Paul's future employment while Paul is personally indebted to me''.
Days later, he told the Herald that Mr Osborne would be staying with the club. Mr Duncan has since resigned.
In addition to his financial problems, which Mr Osborne blamed on soured property deals, the CEO is also the subject of a bullying claim by a woman employee.
Both Mr Osborne and Mr Spagnolo told the Herald the woman's complaint had been ''dealt with by the board''. However, last Friday, the woman was still in settlement negotiations with the club's lawyers.
Mr Duncan is the chairman of Pirtek, the Eel's major sponsor which has a contract until 2013.
''The recent decisions of the board go against all my business principals which place me in a position of no longer being able to meet my expectations and duties as a director,'' Mr Duncan said of his recent resignation.
kmcclymont@smh.com.au
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...npaid-debts-20111016-1lrkk.html#ixzz1ayZgnSJz

Latest posts