What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cronulla have ticker, Roosters are chicken-hearts

NagesJnr

Juniors
Cronulla have ticker, Roosters are chicken-hearts

Greg Prichard | May 18, 2009

SYDNEY Roosters are ahead of Cronulla on the competition table, and beat the Sharks the only time they met this season, but the Roosters are more deserving of criticism than the Sharks.
At least Cronulla have a red-hot go every week. They might have proved to be inept in some key areas, but they continue to try hard to break their losing streak - even though their confidence must have taken a battering. The Roosters turn up to play sometimes, and at other times they don't. Or, if a game is getting away from them, they don't seem to want to fight hard to at least try to minimise the damage.
Saturday night's double was a case in point. The Roosters played early, and were smashed 38-6 by Newcastle at the SFS. The Sharks played late, and refused to give in against Penrith, taking the game down to the wire before losing 26-22 at CUA Stadium.
The Knights led 22-0 at half-time, and the second half was one in which 40 minutes seemed to take 80, so predictable was the outcome. There was a look of resignation on the faces of the Roosters players, and a couple of the breaks the Knights made as the second half wore on were the result of sheer lack of effort from the defence.
The Sharks trailed 20-6 in the second half, but came back to cut the deficit to two points and give themselves a realistic chance of winning. They might not have been good enough to get that win, in the end, but the fact they were prepared to go in search of it was a positive thing. The Cronulla players were clearly devastated by the loss.
There are big holes in both sides, but the Roosters look better on paper, and they did to register a 19-12 win over the Sharks in round eight. But the Roosters, who have a win-loss record of 3-7, have now lost five games by a margin of 13-plus. The Sharks, who are 1-9 and have lost eight in a row, have only lost by a 13-plus margin once.
This is not meant to excuse an eight-match losing streak. It's just meant to point out that when you look at results on a win or loss basis, it doesn't always tell the full story.
The story at the Panthers is that while the team is heading in the right direction, they need to develop more of a killer instinct. Playing at home and leading by 14 points during the second half, they should have been able to go on and beat the Sharks comfortably. Maybe they didn't pay the commitment of the Sharks enough respect; whatever the case, they have to learn from that close shave.
Penrith are good to watch. They have power and excitement, but they're still trying to learn how to tie it all together for 80 minutes.
Newcastle's development as a team that is rising again after a few lean years is more enhanced. They announced they were on the way back last season, when they narrowly missed the finals, and now they are one of four teams on 14 points at the top of the competition table. The Knights had admonished themselves for only winning "ugly" a couple of times recently, and looked very attractive in disposing of the Roosters.
This is an even competition, and Newcastle have a genuine shot at winning it.
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/lhq...e-chickenhearts/2009/05/17/1242498639233.html

I hope all our players read this and take heart - might be just the thing to tip the balance in our favour. There's no doubt we're in the middle of a horrible run, but I take some pride in the effort from our team. You could see how much they were trying and hurting. Barrett in particular. I thought losing Hughes was great - although I know others disagree. Feel strangely optimistic that something good might came out of all this adversity.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
My roosters mate is spewing about the teams performance and the non performing willie mason who's in the sh*t again.

Goose Gould will find this article to be an outrage!

I think Freddy needs help.

Gould what do you think?

Or do you still think the sun shines out of his arse?

Frenzy.

Immortal
Roosters are easy to sum up and I'm surprised no one else talks about it much

Compare

Nathan Brown inherits a St George Illawarra side chock full of superstars. Nathan is new to coaching and just out of the game as a player.

Freddie inherits a Roosters side chock full of superstars. Freddie is new to coaching and just out of the game as a player.

Both Nate and Fred could be described as "one of the boys"

The water boy never had player respect IMO as he was too close to them

I reckon Freddie's in the same boat.

If Freddie wants a coaching career he's got a lot of rust to cut at the Roosters and would actually probably be better off leaving.

Last edited:

Latest posts