What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd at Kogarah Yesterday

Ritzley

Juniors
Were there really only 15,700 at the ground yesterday - looked and sounded like a lot more on the TV....

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
At the ground too. Would not be surprised if it were underquoted.

conspiracy theory

League wants to do away with the week one suburban grounds. want games at the good staduiums for more revenue.

how do they do that? lie about the crowd. puts "media pressure" on the league and the clubs to do away with it and move games.

the penrith crowd was piss weak. 16k for a semi. western sydney lol.

however theres no way there were only 15 thousand there yesterday.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Probably close to the mark if true, Russell.

Seriously though, the atmosphere yesterday was amazing.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
"League wants to do away with the week one suburban grounds. want games at the good staduiums for more revenue.

how do they do that? lie about the crowd. puts "media pressure" on the league and the clubs to do away with it and move games."

Why would they understate the crowd figure if they wanted the game at a bigger stadium? Wouldn't you want more hard luck stories like the Mason's who couldn't get a ticket into a packed suburban ground?

Sounds ridiculous to me.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Great atmosphere. When we were camped on our own goal line, the crowd was cheering every tackle. The chants, the spontaneous singing... good times.

If that was 15,000, I'd like to know where they'd fit another 3,000 in. Over 18,000 were there. IMO it was 19,000+.

I think the regulars have a good handle on the crowd figure. I always look at the South East stand, it's always the last to fill. There were a few empty seats there but not many. Over in the North East area on the hill (normally for away supporters), there were a few empty spaces, but again not much room to spare. It's not guesswork, you can gauge the crowd pretty well by knowing where to look. So buggered if I know where they got 15K from.

BigNormProvan

Juniors
I thought I spotted a little lair of empty seats in the N/W corner before the kickoff. I was stunned with the reported crowd figure and was thinking it could have been a gee up by the NRL. Which they could have followed with 'fans were expecting a sellout, so 1000's didn't try to get a ticket and thus the expected sellout didn't eventuate'.

Big Norm

Dragon Dave

Bench
Great atmosphere, I was up the back of the SWUPPER and we had chants and Oh When the Saints going all game.

The Army looked great with the big jersey, Home Sweet Home Banner behind it and Rays new Marchin In banner in front. Well done guys.

saintzrule

Juniors
No way, it had to be 18000plus. It reminded me of the 60s&70s when midway through the 2nd half the ground announcer would give the crowd figure and everybody would laugh, always 3 to 5 thousand under what was there! In those days we all understood why:D

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
conspiracy theory

League wants to do away with the week one suburban grounds. want games at the good staduiums for more revenue.

how do they do that? lie about the crowd. puts "media pressure" on the league and the clubs to do away with it and move games.

I'm sure you're right...I saw a few extra people on the grassy knoll

Willow

Assistant Moderator
conspiracy theory

Don't know about the theory that something underhanded is going on.

For a start, no one with any smarts is buying the 15K figure.

Plus, IF we get a home semi next year, I expect it to be in Wollongong. The upgrades means home games will be there in the latter part of the year, and that should satisfy opposition supporters in the anti-Kogarah brigade.

More likely they just stuffed up the figures.

gregstar

Referee
there were 15,000 normals at the ground.

i'm assuming that's the new counting regime.

50uffs had a crowd of 2 at their clash against the raiders this season.

Saintsman

Juniors
Great atmosphere, I was up the back of the SWUPPER and we had chants and Oh When the Saints going all game.

The Army looked great with the big jersey, Home Sweet Home Banner behind it and Rays new Marchin In banner in front. Well done guys.

That's where I was seated. Was fantastic. Agree with others here, you can tell how big the crowd is by judging it to other weeks. That Northern End is rarely that full and the hill looked great. Away supporters section of the hill could of had more but only a couple of hundred.

dragonlady53

Juniors
I was also in the SW Upper grandstand and you can see ALL the ground from there. It looked pretty packed to me, with maybe a bit of space at the southern end. Ray Hadley also commented that he didn't know how another 3 000 could be fitted in. It certainly looked about as full as I've seen it this season and we've had some pretty good crowds.