What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
The crowds this week have been OK, considering most of the round has been slaughtered by bad weather.

It's very encouraging that despite all the rain none of the games produced a sub 10K crowd - this would not have been the case a few years ago.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Kudos to the brave souls that turned out tonight, I've been to Shark park in the rain and its no fun! At least they won which makes getting soaked more bareable

I have to smile, every year it starts raining and every year poor crowds are blamed on the weather. Here's an idea, build some frickin decent stadiums!

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
The crowds this week have been OK, considering most of the round has been slaughtered by bad weather.

It's very encouraging that despite all the rain none of the games produced a sub 10K crowd - this would not have been the case a few years ago.

Bloody oath.

If you look at the sub 10k crowds over the years, there are a lot less in the last 3 seasons compared to before, seeing as the memberships have been pushed in the last few years, it'll only get better over the coming seasons.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Kudos to the brave souls that turned out tonight, I've been to Shark park in the rain and its no fun! At least they won which makes getting soaked more bareable

I have to smile, every year it starts raining and every year poor crowds are blamed on the weather. Here's an idea, build some frickin decent stadiums!

Money mate, and a government not stacked with mexicans and septics would help.

Perth Red

Post Whore
when I see places like Doncaster, Widnes and Hull in the UK manage to build decent RL stadiums it amazes me that we struggle to find the $'s. These places are hardy dubai!

KC
335611069_f0fbc682b6.jpg

Doncaster
56-1.jpg

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
when I see places like Doncaster, Widnes and Hull in the UK manage to build decent RL stadiums it amazes me that we struggle to find the $'s. These places are hardy dubai!

KC
335611069_f0fbc682b6.jpg

Doncaster
56-1.jpg

Pretty f**king sad isn't it considering we are 1 of the 2 biggest sports in the country.

blukablu

Juniors
I was thinking Panthers/Sharks this Saturday but surely with them both being last start winners that won't happen.

Round 3 predictions with "wet" predictions if rain strikes prior to the game

Eels/Rabbitohs @ ANZ = 16,000 (11,000 wet)

That would be a shocking crowd for them. The Rabbits and Eels have about 20,000 season ticketed memberships combined considering both get into this game for free there has to be something wrong not to draw more than 20,000.

Their last three games at ANZ have got 25,152, 19,098 and 20,871.

Also Broncos/Titans should draw at least 25,000.

Raiderdave

First Grade
all of these are based on fine weather
they'll be less in its raining

Parra V Souths 20,000
Titans V Broncos 25,000
Penrith V Sharks 12,000
Tigers V Raiders 16,000
Warriors V Dragons 15,000
Bulldogs V Roosters 20,000
Manly V Newcastle 16,000
Cowboys V Melb 12,000

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
That would be a shocking crowd for them. The Rabbits and Eels have about 20,000 season ticketed memberships combined considering both get into this game for free there has to be something wrong not to draw more than 20,000.

They do have about 20k season members between them but they both also have a huge bunch of fans who don't bother turning up if they aren't playing good footy. I dare say there's probably also a small chunk of members who don't like going to ANZ.

I don't know, just seems like an uninspiring clash. Hopefully I'm wrong and both sets of fans will see how bad the other side is travelling and think "this is our week".

Azkatro

First Grade

Did you purposely forget the dismal Friday night crowd of 10,670 between these two teams in 2009?

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/matches/Custom/Ny0tLS0tMjAtLS0tLS0xMi0tLS0tLS0=

dragondad

First Grade
Parra V Souths 24,000
Titans V Broncos 22,000
Penrith V Sharks 12,000
Tigers V Raiders 15,000
Warriors V Dragons 15,000
Bulldogs V Roosters 22,000
Manly V Newcastle 15,000
Cowboys V Melb 12,000

CMUX

11k is a disgrace to the game, we had the same conditions out at ANZ and managed to pull 18k.

All Sydney teams minimum crowd should be 15k.

The roosters drew 28k against the Rabbits.

But of course your excuse will be weather and the fact it wasn’t a dogs home game. Well luckily for you guys, you play Souths in round 7 again so you should have no problem getting 30k plus...

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Thanks Az, I knew I wasn't far off the mark. Both teams fanbases can be quite fairweather.

VictoryFC

Bench

KC
335611069_f0fbc682b6.jpg

Doncaster
56-1.jpg

Except those grounds weren't built for RL (in the case of Doncaster and Hull), they were built for soccer primarily, which is why they justify it. There is a sense of 'keeping up with the Joneses' in stadia construction in England, everyone has been doing it so they follow suit. It (erroneously in most cases) supposedly gives the local team a better chance of climbing up divisions and sustaining success.

Naturally, in this country, we are far more concentrated in population. We already have large and (mostly) modernized stadia in areas where the teams play. There is no justification for any outlay.

VictoryFC

Bench
Who's talking about St Helens? Or Salford? Or Widnes (as Red mentioned). They're all legit RL grounds, especially St Helens who will have a ground comparable to the best in soccer. Unfortunately, they're the exception, not the rule. There's a reason why the stadium explosion in England has largely been restricted to one sport. Councils have a much harder time justifying spending money when soccer isn't involved. Australia is very conservative with stadia development compared to pretty much anywhere else in the world bar Africa, but we have the disadvantage of being restricted to 5 major population centres. Once you have one decent stadium in a region, what incentive is there to build something new?

St.John

Juniors
Who's talking about St Helens? Or Salford? Or Widnes (as Red mentioned). They're all legit RL grounds, especially St Helens who will have a ground comparable to the best in soccer.

The new Saints ground will be a tidy little place, that's for sure (and wow, how we needed it!) - but it's hardly comparable to the best in soccer. It's really not.

VictoryFC

Bench
The new Saints ground will be a tidy little place, that's for sure (and wow, how we needed it!) - but it's hardly comparable to the best in soccer. It's really not.

Wasn't comparing it with the Emirates, but its definitely comparable to the standard stadia so prevalent across all the divisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.