What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch 2014 part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger Lee

Bench
This is 100% right. Full stop.
The biggest thing I notice living in Melbourne is how easy it is to get to the grounds. (This includes aami park)
They are both city edge stadiums (easy walk from the two busiest stations) and serviced by innumerable public transport options between train and tram (and bus for that matter at the mcg as a couple of services run down punt road)
Because they have centralised their games all games in Melbourne are easy to get to.
Contrast this with getting to nearly any stadium (or suburban ground) in Sydney. Campbelltown and parra are the only ones I can think of that are even close in terms of accessability.

Maybe kogarah? it's about 500m from a train station :p

agree with your comments about melbourne and easy access.

Valheru

Coach
Has AFL ever had to share class space with another code that has similarities? No.
There is rugby union and rugby league in Sydney. Melbourne is just AFL and more AFL. All sections of society follow it. The same can't be said for the rugby codes in Sydney.
There is a big difference in the make up of footy codes in Sydney which ultimately affects crowds.

Yeah that?s true but you will get advocates of the above opinion saying that RU is dead and buried in NSW and is only a slight blip on the radar.

So which is it? Is RU a viable competitor to RL thereby reducing crowds or is it a non-issue and the comparison with AFL is fair?

Brutus

Referee

Yeah that’s true but you will get advocates of the above opinion saying that RU is dead and buried in NSW and is only a slight blip on the radar.

So which is it? Is RU a viable competitor to RL thereby reducing crowds or is it a non-issue and the comparison with AFL is fair?

Has rugby union been dead and buried since 1908??, No. It is going through a tough patch at the moment, but it is entrenched in private schools and universities. Interest may be low at the moment, but there are large sections of town who have been taught to believe that rugby league is for boneheads. Whether or not these same people attend union games is irrelevant. There are no private schools in Victoria frowning upon AFL last time I looked. Union has a firm hold on the top end of town and shit crowds and tv ratings won't stop certain sponsors from getting on board. Sponsors that league will never get.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Our Home ground should we get one in the finals is ANZ while the finals are different and most will go. It's rumoured we are moving a home game there next season either Tigers or Parra a Sunday works any other day a disaster

Yeah, this is reasonable. Blacktown would probably be better for the Panther re: centralising (but thats just personal opinion)

DSmiths "Right game, Right ground" is going to be all about this. If the panthers do have to centralise a few games, they will probably be played in good slots (Sunday arvo probably).

And all the terrible Monday night crowds (if MNF is even around in the next TV deal) will stay out in Penrith....

oikee

Juniors
While the government continues to waste 10 million on Manly, our code will always have 10 thousand crowds. Nobody wants to turn up to Manly boghole , now compare that to MCG in a city that knows what fans need.
Sydney is a backward shithole. Brisbane with 1 team kicks it's head into the ground, the nrl ARE SCARED TO PUT ANYMORE TEAMS INTO bRISBANE, THEY KNOW THE CROWD WILL KILL THEIR SO-CALLED HEARTLAND FIGURES, AND EMBARRASS THEM EVEN MORE.

Until the NRL build a stadium out west (Parra area), we will never be taken seriously as a competitor to the AFL.
Sydney needs a 50 thousand stadium, the 80 thousand white elephant is killing our atmoshere and support. Is that really that hard to see, are our leaders that blind.
Second teams in Brisbane and NZ are needed now, not in 5 years time.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Has AFL ever had to share class space with another code that has similarities? No.

There is rugby union and rugby league in Sydney. Melbourne is just AFL and more AFL. All sections of society follow it. The same can't be said for the rugby codes in Sydney.

There is a big difference in the make up of footy codes in Sydney which ultimately affects crowds.

Tahs crowds are crap.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeah, this is reasonable. Blacktown would probably be better for the Panther re: centralising (but thats just personal opinion)

DSmiths "Right game, Right ground" is going to be all about this. If the panthers do have to centralise a few games, they will probably be played in good slots (Sunday arvo probably).

And all the terrible Monday night crowds (if MNF is even around in the next TV deal) will stay out in Penrith....

I think June long weekend Monday is the perfect slot to move the game. I see both making the 8 this year and as such ch9 may want this game. NRL has no balls and wont say no this is a Monday game. Until the NRL does that the policy is just crazy

Lockyer4President!

First Grade

Yeah that?s true but you will get advocates of the above opinion saying that RU is dead and buried in NSW and is only a slight blip on the radar.

It's not an either/or situation. Union is a laughing stock now but it wasn't always like this.

Brutus

Referee
Reds crowds this year smoked the Tahs. Tahs largest regular season home game was 24k, Reds smallest crowd was 23k. If the Tahs were playing like the Reds the crowds would have been 12-15k.

So the league-union divide is strong in Brisbane.

Surely manly will sell out brookie for one of there games, all that success and little crowds. What gives manly supporters, you got a successful team show up. If any other team had manly's success eg parra crowds would be big.

pHyR3

Juniors
Surely manly will sell out brookie for one of there games, all that success and little crowds. What gives manly supporters, you got a successful team show up. If any other team had manly's success eg parra crowds would be big.

parra would have moved to ANZ and been averaging 30k if they had manlys success.

stragglers crowd wise are raiders, tigers, manly and titans.

Penrith are on the up, and cronulla can be excused given just about everything.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I think June long weekend Monday is the perfect slot to move the game. I see both making the 8 this year and as such ch9 may want this game. NRL has no balls and wont say no this is a Monday game. Until the NRL does that the policy is just crazy

This TV contract was all about money, and they gave away a lot of power to get back into the black...

By the next deal they will have $200mil in the bank. The TV quality may not get any better (i have a bad feeling that 9 will just be so desperate again they will hang on), but you can be damn sure the ARLC will get a better deal for people attending games.

Can dogs v pennies get 25k ?/?

If they can, then it will be a record for a regular season match between these two teams.

Biggest ever crowd for a regular season Bulldogs v Panthers match is 21,644 for the match that was played at ANZ Stadium in 2004.

Funnily enough that match was played on a Friday night and the teams positions on the ladder were similar to this years.

Bulldogs went into that match in 2nd position and the Panthers were in 4th position.

Fact is, any game on a school/work arvo/night is f**ked for families, especially if you have to travel. I don't know where everyone gets the idea that Sunday games are easy for families.

You are never going to be able to please everyone, but Sunday's are definitely more convenient for most people.

More people tend to work on weekdays than on the weekend.

Last edited:
I see the swans are playing tonight and will get a bigger crowd than 2 nrl games. It's mind boggling that the swans have the highest attendance in nsw and not a nrl team. That's unacceptable for league heartland, the likes of souths or bulldogs should be the top draw not the swans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts