What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

fanatique

Juniors
:lol:

I agree people go over the top when comparing NRL crowds to AFL crowds but to say there's not that much difference is just a complete and utter delusion.

It is totally pointless to compare. Apples with oranges.

AFL basically gets attendances twice as big as NRL. There are dozens fo reasons for this.: historical, geographic, etc etc

Denying this is silly. Harping on about it is equally so. They are different sports.

papabear

Juniors
1 - theres going to be more fans there then they can hold in brookvale.
2 - Theres going to be more sharks fans there then manly fans. Despite manly having had 10X the success of the sharks and manly being about 15 ks from the city or a 30 minute ferry and cronulla being 30ks.

Manly fans are a f**king joke.

Valheru

Coach
again
your comparing week 2 NRL Finals crowds with week 3 AFL Finals crowds
their week 2 finals total was 90K ....at the 2 biggest sporting venues in the country that hold 184K combined.
it aint that impressive
next week we should get 90K to 95K to our 2 prelim finals
60K to ANZ & ova 30K to Allianz
they'll get about 125 to 130K all up to theirs this week.
its not that much difference
people just need to calm down a bit.

I said it wasn’t a direct comparison because it is week 3 vs. week 2. The reason I compared was because the AFL are having an all Victoria game and an out of state game and we are having an all Sydney game and an out of state game and the differences in attendance is glaring.

You are dreaming if you think Souths will get 60k for their prelim. The perfect storm happened in round 26, you could not have dreamt of a better scenario crowd wise and it didn’t hit 60k. It will be lucky to get 40k, might get 45k if the Sharks are there. The other game won’t get 30k if it is Melbourne, it should do if it is Newcastle.

So we are realistically looking at 60-80k for our prelims. As you said the AFL is looking at 130 to theirs. We could have a 3rd game and still not reach that figure.

Yes I understand the history of crowds and blah blah blah but we should be doing more to create an attendance culture, the membership push of the last few years is a great start.

LatK7

First Grade
Maybe the NRL is fixing the wrong Sydney teams to make the 8.

Next year we should try Parramatta, Wests, St George, Canterbury and Souffs. They'd pull at least 40k tonight.

Now let me remove this tin foil hat.

Xfactor1979

Bench
The point being a few years back

What was the bloody point of massive crowds at these 'events' anyway?

Sure it looks good on tv

But the hassle of getting to and from the games?

Needing to sit next to someone you don't know for 2 to 3 hours (if you follow the Victorian game)

I can have fun playing my own sport and watch (when im fatigued) to see the exploits of my mates

Its a common thread of thought going to Victoria that the afl actually is a better atmosphere/ environment when its only 30k people at the games at the mcg. Contrary to the belief the vics boast about their giant crowd numbers at their so-called 'blockbusters'

Heritage XIII

Juniors
AFL better live? I think it looks just as bad at the game. Honestly, looks like chooks without heads running around everywhere, the constant fumbling, the whistle blowing every 5 seconds, interchange running on & off constantly throughout the game. AFL is just as poor at the ground as it is on TV.

guyver78

Juniors
I see David Perry whinging in the herald that they should be playing at brookvale

at the moment with walkups, scgt members and pre sales tomorrow it should still get 25k-30k. Not good enough imo

I saw that in the paper today too

"While the NRL will argue they need to uphold the integrity of the competition, they've got Melbourne playing at their home in Melbourne and we're forced to play at Allianz," Manly boss David Perry said. "Clearly it's not a level playing field. Where is our advantage in finishing fourth? We don't get one genuine home [finals] game at Brookvale Oval. There needs to be some flexibility to relocate matches into markets that are suitable."

"Imagine how much better the atmosphere would be if we were playing at Brookvale tomorrow night," Perry said. "We're in the entertainment business, and rightfully we'd get the advantage for coming fourth in the competition. I understand a decision has been made and we need to respect that, but I believe it has to be reviewed and addressed at season's end."

Please tell me that Perry is only pulling the piss with these comments and really isn't serious...

1 - theres going to be more fans there then they can hold in brookvale.
2 - Theres going to be more sharks fans there then manly fans. Despite manly having had 10X the success of the sharks and manly being about 15 ks from the city or a 30 minute ferry and cronulla being 30ks.

Manly fans are a f**king joke.

Manly the suburb is closer sure.

But Manly dont play out of Manly, they play out of brookvale.

And the fans come from all over the northern beaches and in my experience the upper north shore.

Also, the other massive difference which isnt given enough recognition is that most other teams fans have the benefit of mass transit to the game.

Its much easier to travel from cronulla to the SFS tonight than from the northern beaches.

Most cronulla fans can jump on a train and walk up from central.

Most manly fans would need to either go

Bus - ferry - bus

Or Bus along military road ( a nightmare on a friday night) then change buses in the city.

I think they should do better, dont get me wrong.

But if you think its easier to get to the SFS from the northern beaches you're kidding.

Last edited:

leaguelover

Juniors
Just bought 2 tix from last tix. $22 for cat 1. Hate both sharks and Manly but had nothing else on.

That is an insult to the true fan that snapped up their tickets in the first day or 2.

NRL have lost touch.

I agree! They should start the sale for the first 5000 for example so that true fans get a shot at a cheap tix too...

It looks like a massive last minute panic due to low tix sales i guess!

papabear

Juniors

And the fans come from all over the northern beaches and in my experience the upper north shore.

Also, the other massive difference which isnt given enough recognition is that most other teams fans have the benefit of mass transit to the game.

Its much easier to travel from cronulla to the SFS tonight than from the northern beaches.

Bus - ferry - bus

Or Bus along military road ( a nightmare on a friday night) then change buses in the city.

But if you think its easier to get to the SFS from the northern beaches you're kidding.
meh you can walk from circular quay to the SFS its just a good hearty walk. make a pub crawl of it if you will.

Manly fans can jump on a ferry and have a beautiful boat ride into the city. then decent walk. Obviously if they dont live near manly then they have to either get to manly or go a different way.

Cronulla fans get a shit train trip but a smaller walk. Obviously if they dont live near a train line they have to find a different way.

IMO there is no excuse for the patheticness of manly fans.

guyver78

Juniors

Bus - ferry - bus

Or why don't we accept the fact that Manly just don't have anymore then 16,000-18,000 supporters that can attend a Manly game at any given venue be that the SFS, Brookie in it's current state or Brookie re-developed with 30,000 seats...

Saint Doc

Coach
meh you can walk from circular quay to the SFS its just a good hearty walk. make a pub crawl of it if you will.

:lol: :lol:

It's a 45 minute walk uphill!

That would make it 2 hours door to door for most people on the northern beaches!

You're off your head

Manly fans can jump on a ferry and have a beautiful boat ride into the city. then decent walk. Obviously if they dont live near manly then they have to either get to manly or go a different way.

Cronulla fans get a shit train trip but a smaller walk. Obviously if they dont live near a train line they have to find a different way.

IMO there is no excuse for the patheticness of manly fans.

I really think you're underestimating the importance of trains.

Most cronulla fans live on or near a train line.

And then its an easy walk from a direct train trip.

And really? Walk from circular quay?! Its 5 km. Fine if you're reasonably fit, but if you have kids with you or someone older it would be very difficult.

papabear

Juniors
if you are fat and unfit all the more reason for the lengthy walk!!

arent there free shuttle busses from the leagues club which makes this argument redundant anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts