What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Von

Juniors
Diesel and Undertaker...well said.

I concur with everything you have both said.

Good to read some mature comments on here for a change.

undertaker

Coach
Agree 100%. I don't watch the second Friday game and maybe catch 50% of Sunday arvo games. If its not live I am not interested, I suspect that the accessibility of social media makes delayed games even more unattractive as its so easy to stumble on the score.

Agree with you on the social media point. Back in 2007 when the 2 Friday night game format was introduced, social media wasn't as ubiquitous as it is today. Nowdays, all these media outlets will more often than not even quote from ppl's twitters for a story.

And regarding your preference of watching games, I only watch the Sunday game (live online if I'm near my computer) if my team - Knights - are playing. I will save the extended reason for this most likely for the Chris Close thread but in a nutshell, 1) inept refereeing and 2) wrestling in the ruck are the two reasons I barely watch regular season matches involving neutral teams compared to 10 years ago. I used to watch nearly every game back in those days during high school, even Fox Sports' delayed Saturday night and Sunday arvo games!

9 have paid a lot for the 5 years and they are really shooting themselves in the foot by not broadcasting this great game with respect. If they continue to want 2 Friday games and delay the Sunday game while at the same time pick teams that finished 14, 15 & 16th that's their stupid fault and more so if it continues.

After Rd 16 (which is when Rds 21-26 were determined), Parramatta had only won 3 games. They were nowhere near the top 8 and were never going to make a run for it like they did in 2009. Yet, Ch9 rewarded them with more FTA matches. The good thing about the Broncos going crap this year (besides the fact broncos2010 and SLRBRONCOS have both been made to eat large doses of humble pie:lol:) is that hopefully this will force Ch9 to even its FTA game distribution next year (assuming it will still be a fixed schedule), rather than stacking it in the same usual suspects. This hopefully has taught them a huge lesson.

it seems like NRL are allowing 9 to dictate the terms

Thank you Wally!:lol:

Last edited:

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
They have moved it before and with a bit of negotiation could do it again.

I can remember a Sunday Roosters v Cowboys prelim final absolutely rating it's knob off in Sydney. A Tigers v Broncos Sunday arvo final doing MASSIVE numbers.

That 2005 Broncos v Tigers semi got 36k too.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Roosters got 43K in 2004 against the Cowboys...

2004 Penrith V Bulldogs was also a sellout... The crowd was 37,868 (About 5K Penrith BTW), however the members didn't turn up, it's all on the members (Roosters playing will attract a good percentage of them unlike a Western Sydney club).

Wasn't Roosters v Cowboys at ANZ?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Seriously - why can't we have a flexible fixed schedule? It seems to work for EPL - the networks reserve the right to alter what games are played and when anywhere up to a couple of weeks ahead.

seanoff

Juniors
Yep, the NRL need to grow a pair and schedule the games that best suit the teams playing and the fans, not CH9.

Just had a peek at the ratings and the AFL game saturday was the highest rating football game on FTA all weekend (1229000) and did ernomous numbers on fox (402000). So that kills the myth that friday night is the magic thing.

People will watch finals on tv whenever you play them. So play them at the best time, ie sunday arvo for nrl.

Side note, the nrl really stuffed it by not having fox broadcasting all the games. 504 has been a huge success for fox. Iirc its easily the highest rating channel during the footy season and is up by close to double digit % this year.

Cliffs, play finals games on fri night, sunday arvo. People will watch and you might even get better crowds.

Big Sam

First Grade
Seriously - why can't we have a flexible fixed schedule? It seems to work for EPL - the networks reserve the right to alter what games are played and when anywhere up to a couple of weeks ahead.

The EPL has 6 of the 10 weekly matches kicking off at 3pm Saturday. So fans know that there's a 60% chance their team's home matches will be at this time. If not, they are moved to earlier or later on Saturday, or to Sunday.

Because we don't have one main timeslot like the old days (with Sunday arvo matches), a fixed flexible schedule will not work for us.

yobbo84

Coach
50k for Souths-Manly is a pipe-dream. Last year there were 70k at the Souths v Bulldogs match, and that was pretty much 50-50. So given the same number of Souths supporters turn up (35k), plus somwhere between 5k and 10k Manly supporters you're looking around 40-45k IMO.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Don't turn into that dickhead haynetrain again, the Wazn loving one is better.

I think we're getting into semantics with whether it will be capacity or a sellout, 41237 or 42137 is still a great crowd. I'm thinking 35000 which is still a great crowd.

Wazn racing in race 3 a Rosehill this Saturday,get on

Springs

First Grade

I wouldn't be very happy if I had locked in a time to go to an Eels match at a perfect time of Friday Night only to find out a few weeks before it was changed to a Sunday or Monday.

I think this year we found out that fixed/flexible scheduling isn't the problem. We are still seeing Broncos every Friday night and we are still seeing games in timeslots where they shouldn't be. People thought fixed scheduling was the answer but then complained that this team or that team was on Friday Night in Round 19. Well what do you expect when the rounds are chosen 25 weeks before?
And then people complained that Eels/Tigers/Dragons got Ch9 games after R20. It's a legitimate complaint but well, when we let Nine do what they want so we can say we got a billion dollars, what do we expect?

At the very least NRL should have stood firm and said if Nine want a night GF then we get to have Sunday arvo matches in weeks 2 and 3. No one's going to miss Friday matches and honestly, more people would have a chance to watch Sunday arvo games on TV. I'm missing out watching Friday's game because I have a thing on that was planned 6 months ago. I have nothing on Sunday however, as local footy has finished for the year.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Exactly. 9 holding onto 3 exclusive games is archaic.
I wouldn't have a problem with the above if they were all live. Having 3 exclusive games and delaying 2 of them is inexcusable in this day and age.

But 9 is not to blame. They'll obviously do what is best for them. The NRL is blamed for geniused negotiation.

Everybody focused on the nice big number and completely ignored a lot of other f**ked factors in the deal.

Von

Juniors
50k for Souths-Manly is a pipe-dream. Last year there were 70k at the Souths v Bulldogs match, and that was pretty much 50-50. So given the same number of Souths supporters turn up (35k), plus somwhere between 5k and 10k Manly supporters you're looking around 40-45k IMO.

agree.
I reckon around 40K...Souths 30k, Manly 10K

Chooks v Knights I predict will be around 37K, based on current Ticketek sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts