What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

crowds 2015

doyen

Bench
People aren't attending games in 2015!
For the first time the average crowd per game looks like dropping below 15,000.This is very concerning.

The game of RL is becoming a pretty boring spectacle--is this the reason????

Average over the AFL for 2015 is 32,705 per game!

rabbitohs95

Bench
Yeah I thought there'd be way more people there today. Looked like about 20,000.

I think people just can't be bothered going through the grind after we won it last year. Happens with every team that wins the comp. Should still get massive crowds during the finals though.

doyen

Bench
Yeah I thought there'd be way more people there today. Looked like about 20,000.

I think people just can't be bothered going through the grind after we won it last year. Happens with every team that wins the comp. Should still get massive crowds during the finals though.

That 15,000 figure is for all teams & every game played in the NRL this year.

A very poor result compared with other codes.

I have genuine concerns for RL[for want of a better name].I don't consider it RL anymore & I reckon many of the fans feel as I do!!

In general it is poorly administered,refereed poorly,too structured in the way it's played[boring just about covers it] & attended poorly.

alien

Referee
i believe ticket prices are the main reason. even if you buy the ticket on the day at the stadium, it shouldn't ever cost more than $20, unless it's a rep game, or a finals game

Rabbits20

Immortal

To me it looked like there was about 16-17k there not 13k. It is hard to tell at ANZ though.

Even though there was only 13k on about the 40m line where I was sitting it was very loud and a great atmosphere. The crowd today imo made it feel like there was double the amount of people there was all the chanting etc..../yelling at the idiot referee Cecchin!!

It's disappointing though only 13k and we should have got more there.

alien

Referee
there was track work on the line between penrith and granville, so that would have turned away a lot of penrith fans, and a lot of rabbitohs fans live between those 2 stations as well.

Rabbits20

Immortal
That 15,000 figure is for all teams & every game played in the NRL this year.

A very poor result compared with other codes.

I have genuine concerns for RL[for want of a better name].I don't consider it RL anymore & I reckon many of the fans feel as I do!!

In general it is poorly administered,refereed poorly,too structured in the way it's played[boring just about covers it] & attended poorly.

You make very good points doyen.

I want to highlight something inparticular that you mentioned, the refereeing.

The refereeing just gets worse and worse every year and I honestly don't think they know what the rules are. Either that or they're completely bias and showing favouritism/hatred to certain teams.

The video refs are now a lottery too.

When a team takes a quick tap it nearly always gets called back so they tap it on the blade of grass they were meant too. What's the point of a quick tap then?

Referees still talk to players and stop momentum of other teams when penalties get blown.

Now the ref Cecchin is a complete goose who has it in for Souths. He made lots of bad calls our way today including standing right near GI when he was taken out trying to contest an attacking bomb Reynolds put up. Of course it should have been a penalty but wasn't.

Cecchin let Penrith stand offside the whole game and let Penrith take 1min and 10secs to take a drop out and listened to 6 Panthers players who approached him at once to slow our momentum. When Penrith flopped on us in tackles he didn't penalize them.

Doyen in the bay I was sitting in at the game we all started chanting we hate Cecchin with 10-15mins left.

Lucky the other ref was Maxwell and he gave us penalties for the Panthers obvious ildiscipline.

Rabbits20

Immortal
there was track work on the line between penrith and granville, so that would have turned away a lot of penrith fans, and a lot of rabbitohs fans live between those 2 stations as well.

Yep good point alien.

Imo there was only about 200 Penrith supporters there.

alien

Referee
Yep good point alien.

Imo there was only about 200 Penrith supporters there.

yes i was a bit surprised. it was a very important game for them, and now that they lost, they are 4 points out of the top 8, and will probably miss the finals. track work effects attendance but it shouldn't have made that much of a difference because they still have the rail buses replacing the trains and sometimes they get you to your destination at around the same speed if it's an express bus

doyen

Bench
I forgot to mention that the game of RL is poorly coached.

Coaches have much to answer for in the destruction of what should always be an entertaining game played in an expansive,creative manner.

Maguire is a leader in this regard along with plenty more--most coaches seem to be swept along into this over-structured,highly disciplined,mind-numbing approach-- to the long-term detriment of the game!!!!

I rarely watch any other match than a Sth's one.

I have some time for the Broncos & the Cowboys as they make some attempt to play an expansive brand!

Last edited:

doyen

Bench
are teams really scoring less points than they used to though???

The points are probably still there.
What bothers me most is the mindless bash & barge for what seems like 50+% of the game at least--mostly one off the ruck stuff with no urge to look for an off-load for fear of making an error.
I suppose I have been spoilt as I've experienced RL within 7 decades----from the mid 50s until now.
Ball-playing by forwards was an art form in the 50s,60s,70s & even the 80s with every team carrying creative forwards ala Beetson; & encouraged to play without fear of being punished for showing some initiative.
Smart forwards today are almost extinct---Corey Parker is old school & good to watch!

Jack Gibson was the[very successful]coach who came up with the defensive approach to the game & the no-frills style;depending on the cattle the team had,of course!!When Gibson was at Sths he didn't have the cattle so his methods failed & he was punted!
I think the game started to lose its true meaning & soul with Gibson & the coaches who have continued to follow his manual!!

Last edited: