What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowe's plan for the World Club Challenge

Big Picture

Juniors
From next season the MLS will have 19 teams, 20 the year after. But to compare rugby league to soccer as an argument isn't gonna fly. Soccer has insanely high participation rates, access to overseas leagues with two cable channels dedicated to soccer, most of the soccer teams own their own stadiums, they've held the WC, etc etc. Even if the country as a whole isnt receptive to soccer, people still know what it is. Rugby league for mine is starting out on such a back foot that it does almost seem pointless, but I dont begrudge Crowe for forward thinking.
MLS teams do not own their own stadiums. No pro team in North America in any sport owns a stadium, that's unheard of here. MLS stadiums are all owned either by a municpality or a unversity.
RL has a unique advantage that no other non-American sport does too, it's similarity to American football. Anyone who's grown up watching that sport (which means just about every sports fan on the continent) will find RL easy to understand and be impressed by it. It's just a matter of working out how to reach them.

VictoryFC

Bench
MLS teams do not own their own stadiums. No pro team in North America in any sport owns a stadium, that's unheard of here. MLS stadiums are all owned either by a municpality or a unversity.
RL has a unique advantage that no other non-American sport does too, it's similarity to American football. Anyone who's grown up watching that sport (which means just about every sports fan on the continent) will find RL easy to understand and be impressed by it. It's just a matter of working out how to reach them.

Maybe I should have made myself clear; a large number of MLS teams now have a soccer specific stadium. The point I was making was that they have stadiums which are solely primarily designed for them.

And I actually think your point works against League. Because its similar, why would anyone be interested in it? Look at all the animosity between League and Union fans...fairly similar sports, yet so much division.

Again, I commend Crowe, but some of you guys need a reality check. Build it and they will come is not how it works. It is a false argument that familiarity would make them more inclined to be interested in League.

Quidgybo

Bench
I prefer the current ESL v NRL premiers format to the WCC, moved to October.
While the expanded format has merit, it has various downsides.

-It would either need to cut into the club season or the international season, neither is ideal.
-It's not really the 'best of the best', we might end up seeing the 3rd best v 4th best in the final or something, undermining the finals series' of both comps.
-It lacks serious credibility, with only 2 high standard club comps in the world.

It's a mediocre idea that has been tried before, shot down since and is only getting attention because Captain Phonechucker said it.

Just play the current WCC at a sensible time.
Perhaps the better course is to do both. The current WCC as a single Super Bowl match two weeks after the Grand Finals in October - a true meeting of the crowned champions in peek form. And then the eight team Challenge Series as a pre-season exhibition in February.

Leigh

VictoryFC

Bench
That animosity is there for a good reason.

Mmm not really. Its the equivalent of saying Xbox and PS3 owners hate eachother for a "good reason". One set buys one, the other buys the other; one fan is born into one, the other into the other. And they stay loyal enough to avoid the other. It has little to do with union suppressing league, which most (the large majority of casual fans) don't know or care about if thats what you're insinuating.

Rugby is the best comparison to make because the sports are somewhat similar in appearance, at least to the uninformed casual. The point is, rugby is split down the middle. The number of crossover doesn't appear to be that high; people clearly seem to prefer one over the other. You would be better off coming in with something that doesnt resemble gridiron in the slightest, otherwise you won't make headway.

You can reject what I'm saying all you like, but Im sure Ill be proved right over time. Again, good on Crowe for being one of the few forward thinking people, but just watch how it plays out.

Last edited:

DINGb@T

Juniors
Perhaps the better course is to do both. The current WCC as a single Super Bowl match two weeks after the Grand Finals in October - a true meeting of the crowned champions in peek form. And then the eight team Challenge Series as a pre-season exhibition in February.

Leigh

That's not a bad idea. Two different pieces of silverware with one for what's essentially the World Grand Final winner and the other for the international pre-season competition winner.

DINGb@T

Juniors

Leigh

That's not a bad idea. Two different pieces of silverware with one for what's essentially the World Grand Final winner and the other for the international pre-season competition winner.

DINGb@T

Juniors

Leigh

Latest posts