What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Culture or lack of results?

Wally21

Bench
Watching Manly play most weeks, with an interest in seeing Horo, on the whole, his performances have been demonstrably better than for us over the last 2 years. So we let him go when we are crying out for mobile back rowers who can pop a pass and all the sudden he looks solid.

So the question is, does success breed success and it is easier to play well in a team that is winning, or is it the culture that has developed at the club as a whole that seems we accept mediocrity?? interested in other people's thoughts...

Gazzamatta

Coach
Horo is obviously doing a job for Manly better than he ever did at Parramatta but even more impressive is Tom Symonds. It annoys me that he was virtually kicked out of the Roosters yet Parramatta didnt or couldnt recognise his talent. He woud be mighty handy out Parra way at the moment. Its issues like this and supposed interest in players such as Roy Asotasi that concerns me.
I thought Aiden Tolman was found wanting last night as was Frank Pritchard although I do recognise it was his first game of the season.
Mitch Brown and David Williams were impressive. Again I say Parramatta needs experienced wingers who can catch the damn ball.

eels_fan

First Grade
He almost signed Symonds for 2012. We were close to getting him & he turned around and said he wanted to stay at roosters. He then couldn't crack first grade & got injured so they sold him to get O'Donnell.

We had/did identify his talent - he just didn't want to come here

DeanPay98

Juniors
I don't think that culture is now the major problem for Parramatta. The issue is personnel, gameplans and stable combinations. There were issues with the way the board conducted itself and with the way DA was treated and with SK's clueless coaching, but those are past matters. If we see things through with Ricky then we might turn things around.

TheParraboy

Staff member
In a form side, I don't think Horo is doing anything great. Symonds, whatmough, burher, and JoeG are playing better imo. Wouldn't be surprised Horo out of the 17 when GStewart is back

EelsFan05

Bench
Horo will miss out when Stewart comes back IMO as well. He didn't impress at all last night. Symonds was one of the missed signings of the off season.

TheRam

Coach
In a form side, I don't think Horo is doing anything great. Symonds, whatmough, burher, and JoeG are playing better imo. Wouldn't be surprised Horo out of the 17 when GStewart is back

This.

In fact his performances have been pretty underwhelming actually considering the players around him.

Also how good is JoeG, he just keeps carting that ball up and virtually always gets over the advantage line. I really wish we never had to let him go.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Pretty much nailed it PB, i mean Harrison looked like hand player last year as well and can't get a crack in our backrow.

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
Any forward will loko better in a team where the other forwards are bending the line and he is also getting better service from hooker and there halves than at parra.
T rex is a good example of how manlys halves used him more to there advantage than the dogs

Gronk

Staff member
He almost signed Symonds for 2012. We were close to getting him & he turned around and said he wanted to stay at roosters. He then couldn't crack first grade & got injured so they sold him to get O'Donnell.

We had/did identify his talent - he just didn't want to come here

Symonds was shopped around to fit SBW under the cap. He was first offered to ESL, but Manly have done good.

I am impressed how Manly can build such a great side with a backrow which to be honest aint all that glam.

Horo, Symonds & Smokin Joe can't really demand anything better than fringe NRL coin.

Bigfella

Coach
Watmough although has probably dropped off a bit and Glenn Steart not glam?

Glenn Stewart at club level one of the most influential players in the comp IMO. Has the lot - great defender who not only reads well but can really sting and force a turnover; good tough grinder as required but can ball play and create in attack as a second five eighth.

They also used to have a bloke called tony williams as part of their not so glam back row - he was pretty handy.

Then they have used no frills guys to complement top liners very cleverly.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I'm with ya BigFella - the Sea Eagles backrow has been the envy of the league for a number of years. Surely it's the backbone of their success?

Having said that, I think Gronk is talking just about this season, and suggesting they aren't that 'glam'. Although I'd imagine most sides would kill to have 2 state of origin backrowers currently playing, while a 3rd is injured. Then you plug in a highly talented youngster (Symonds) and all you really need to round it out is a decent first grader (Horo?). The also bought Chee-Kam from the Raiders and he's being developed, and that kid is a gun.

Gronk

Staff member
Watmough although has probably dropped off a bit and Glenn Steart not glam?

Glenn Stewart at club level one of the most influential players in the comp IMO. Has the lot - great defender who not only reads well but can really sting and force a turnover; good tough grinder as required but can ball play and create in attack as a second five eighth.

They also used to have a bloke called tony williams as part of their not so glam back row - he was pretty handy.

Then they have used no frills guys to complement top liners very cleverly.

I was in no way saying that Watmough is crap. Was just pointing out that they are the form team with Storm and are getting good results out of the 3 players Horro, Smokin Joe and Symonds. All three would be on less than Watmough combined I'd say.

Glen Stewart is injured and not part of their 2013 campaign so far. So I didn't mention him.

Latest posts