What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Them crazy merkins seem to think it's a good idea to have real time reporting of all political donations over a coupla bucks.

Lucky the majors stopped that one in it's tracks eh.
That should definitely happen.

But it was about as likely as the prospect of any changes coming from the 2015 inquiry into whether tax deductible donations to conservation groups are used for the purpose intended and expected by the community.

Glad I wasted my time writing a submission on that one.

Gronk

Staff member
Here’s another scam designed to raise political donations.

The Minister, The Liberal Party Donor, And The Printing Company That Doesn’t Own A Printer

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/alex-hawke-liberal-donor-printing

A merkin in Bella Vista receives $500k (tax payers money) in printing and graphic design work from the liberal party. He inflates what would be a competitive price and subcontracts the work, maybe to China.

Said merkin takes the profits, with a chunk going into his pocket and coincidentally a chunk going back to the liberal party in donations.

Isn’t this how salary cap TPA rorts happen ?

84 Baby

Referee
That should definitely happen.

But it was about as likely as the prospect of any changes coming from the 2015 inquiry into whether tax deductible donations to conservation groups are used for the purpose intended and expected by the community.

Glad I wasted my time writing a submission on that one.
Not as glad as me when I wrote a submission to the inquiry into whether submissions to inquiries are used for the purpose intended and expected by the community

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Them crazy merkins seem to think it's a good idea to have real time reporting of all political donations over a coupla bucks.

Lucky the majors stopped that one in it's tracks eh.

probabaly because they dont have any to report

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...d/news-story/32ff73081dce501e6feb848ee789b470

Bill Shorten at Chinese fundraiser behind NSW ICAC’s raid

Bill Shorten was present with other senior party leaders at a Chinese Friends of Labor fundraising dinner in Sydney that is believed to be the focus of a raid on the NSW ALP’s headquarters by the Independent Commission Against Corruption.

Officials from the NSW corruption body swooped on the ALP Sussex Street offices early yesterday in search of financial records related to an investigation into allegedly undisclosed or illegal party donations in 2015.

The raid took place while Labor officials were out of Sydney, attending the party’s national conference in Adelaide. Its timing, three months before the NSW election, also caused internal consternation about possible damage as the state party seeks to make itself electable after two terms in opposition.

The ALP’s head office said yesterday the investigation triggering the raid was linked to “historical” political donations received in 2015, but claimed the NSW Electoral Commission had already fully investigated the matter with the full co-operation of NSW Labor.

The organiser of the Chinese Friends of Labor dinner, attended by 650 people, was NSW Labor MP Ernest Wong. Another prominent attendee was Chinese property developer Huang Xiangmo, a NSW Labor donor who later came to public attention over his financial and personal links to disgraced former Labor senator Sam Dastyari.

A group photo from the fundraising dinner, held shortly before the NSW election in March 2015, shows Mr Shorten standing close to Mr Wong and Mr Huang, along with federal colleague Chris Bowen, then state party leader Luke Foley and state front bencher Adam Searle.

Among others in the photo are state MPs Chris Minns, Shaquette Moselman and Sophie Cotsis and party candidates Edwina Lloyd and Simon Zhou.

The Australian last night sought comment from Mr Shorten about his dinner attendance, and whether he was aware of details of the ICAC investigation into the 2015 party donations that prompted the raid. His office did not respond.

Donations to all state parties in NSW from property developers were banned at the time of the 2015 dinner following a clampdown by former Labor premier Nathan Rees six years earlier. Mr Rees also moved to cap individual donations in NSW to $2000.

Disclosure details for the NSW ALP issued by the NSW Electoral Commission show the dinner held on March 12, 2015, was listed as “Chinese community dinner to raise fund (sic) for state election — 12/03/2015”. Officially it raised $88,930 on the night.

Seven months after the NSW election, in October 2015, Mr Huang paid $55,000 to have lunch with Mr Shorten. This sum was later disclosed to the Australian Electoral Commission as a political donation to the federal ALP. In March 2016, Mr Shorten visited Mr Huang at his Sydney mansion, reportedly to seek funds for Labor campaign ads for the coming federal election.

After allegations were aired about Mr Huang’s possible links to Chinese government officials, and ASIO briefings to major parties about alleged Chinese government interference in Australian politics, Mr Shorten requested in mid-2017 that the ALP not accept any further funds from Mr Huang and some other donors.

Mr Wong, who was given a seat by the NSW party two years before the 2015 dinner after his big fundraising efforts for the NSW ALP, was a close associate of Mr Huang at the time.

Labor has since dumped him from a winnable spot on its upper house ticket for the NSW election next March, a move some insiders believe reflected party discomfort about his continued place as an MP in the midst of controversy over foreign donations and possible connections to the Chinese Communist Party government in Beijing.

Before entering parliament, Mr Wong was a Burwood councillor in Sydney’s inner west. He was given the seat of retiring MP and former Labor treasurer Eric Roozendaal. Mr Roozendaal then went on to work for Mr Huang’s property development company, Yuhu Group. One senior party figure familiar with annual Chinese Friends of Labor gatherings said they were arranged by Mr Wong to secure large donations, and billed as an opportunity for the Chinese community to meet Labor leaders.

Mr Foley, recently forced to resign as NSW Labor opposition leader, did not return The Australian’s call. Mr Wong, believed to be in Hong Kong, was not available for comment.

The boss of the ALP at the time of the 2015 dinner, Jamie Clements, also did not return calls.

The ICAC declined to provide information about the raid. A spokeswoman said the corruption investigator did not comment on operational matters.

The NSW ALP did shed light on the matter, saying it was aware “of an investigation into historical donation matters”. A statement issued by the party said: “The donations in question were received in 2015 and have been fully investigated by the NSW Electoral Commission with the full co-operation of NSW Labor, including the provision of all documents.”

Gronk

Staff member
I think it would be cheaper and far more transparent for the Electoral Commission to give each major political party $20m and just ban political donations and fundraisers.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think it would be cheaper and far more transparent for the Electoral Commission to give each major political party $20m and just ban political donations and fundraisers.

So All Taxpayers give political donations, instead of the 0.001% of the population who cares gives the political donations.

Why would the electorate think that is a good move?

Gronk

Staff member
So All Taxpayers give political donations, instead of the 0.001% of the population who cares gives the political donations.

Why would the electorate think that is a good move?

Those political donations unfortunately influence policy. Albeit from unions, mining companies or even the far reach of the NRA. Wouldn’t the elimination of corporate and lobbyist donations minimise these problems ?

Also it seems that it would also eliminate much the shenanigans like the liberal party dodgy printing scams.

After all $40m is nothing in the scheme of things.

Chipmunk

Coach
Those political donations unfortunately influence policy. Albeit from unions, mining companies or even the far reach of the NRA. Wouldn’t the elimination of corporate and lobbyist donations minimise these problems ?

Also it seems that it would also eliminate much the shenanigans like the liberal party dodgy printing scams.

After all $40m is nothing in the scheme of things.

Would the Labor Party even bother existing if the Union movement couldn't provide influence?

Chipmunk

Coach
That’s an experiment that is worth running imo.

I think it probably sounds good in theory, but the equivalent in the NRL world would be that Parramatta Leagues Club wouldn't be able to have influence or provide finances to the Parramatta NRL Team. Would there be a Parramatta NRL Team if that was the case?

Gronk

Staff member
I think currently each party gets around $2.73 per every eligible vote.

Correct.

Entitlement to election funding
A candidate or Senate group is eligible for election funding if they obtain at least 4% of the formal first preference vote in the division or the state or territory they contested. The amount to be paid is calculated by multiplying the number of votes obtained by the current election funding rate. This rate is indexed every six months to increases in the Consumer Price Index.

Amount paid
The amount of election funding payable is calculated by multiplying the number of first preference votes received by the rate of payment applicable at the time. The rate is indexed every six months in line with increases in the Consumer Price Index.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Representatives/public_funding/index.htm

Last Federal election the majot two parties recived approx $23m (votes were close). Greens $6m and One Nation $1.7m. The lowest payment was to the Australian Sex Party with $6,500.00.

TheRam

Coach
I think it probably sounds good in theory, but the equivalent in the NRL world would be that Parramatta Leagues Club wouldn't be able to have influence or provide finances to the Parramatta NRL Team. Would there be a Parramatta NRL Team if that was the case?

Not quite the same mate. The political parties would just have to spend what they have. If they can't manage their own finances, why would we let them run the finances of our nation?

But more importantly, it would hopefully allow them to focus on US instead of the donating entity.

Gronk

Staff member
Would the Labor Party even bother existing if the Union movement couldn't provide influence?

I think the Labor party of 2019 are a different than 30 years ago. They are centrist and in cetain ways right of centre than their traditional left. Border protection is one example.

Some people still link Labor with the Greens, however that relationship has changed as well. On numerous occasions the Greens have sided with the Government in the house.

Bill Shorten actually said of the Greens a days ago in his soeech at the Labor Conference.. “The Greens assembled in a tree house somewhere exhibiting all the elements of a cult (except leadership)”.

The big difference between LNP and Labor these days seems to be renewables and employment equity.

So the separation of Labor from union funding won’t change things much provided that the funding hole is filled elsewhere.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Correct.

Entitlement to election funding
A candidate or Senate group is eligible for election funding if they obtain at least 4% of the formal first preference vote in the division or the state or territory they contested. The amount to be paid is calculated by multiplying the number of votes obtained by the current election funding rate. This rate is indexed every six months to increases in the Consumer Price Index.

Amount paid
The amount of election funding payable is calculated by multiplying the number of first preference votes received by the rate of payment applicable at the time. The rate is indexed every six months in line with increases in the Consumer Price Index.

https://www.aec.gov.au/Parties_and_Representatives/public_funding/index.htm

Last Federal election the majot two parties recived approx $23m (votes were close). Greens $6m and One Nation $1.7m. The lowest payment was to the Australian Sex Party with $6,500.00.
In all honesty, that was me who paid the $6500 to the Australian Sex Party. Needless to say I didn’t get what I thought I was paying for :disappointed:

Last edited:

Chipmunk

Coach
I think the Labor party of 2019 are a different than 30 years ago. They are centrist and in cetain ways right of centre than their traditional left. Border protection is one example.

Some people still link Labor with the Greens, however that relationship has changed as well. On numerous occasions the Greens have sided with the Government in the house.

Bill Shorten actually said of the Greens a days ago in his soeech at the Labor Conference.. “The Greens assembled in a tree house somewhere exhibiting all the elements of a cult (except leadership)”.

The big difference between LNP and Labor these days seems to be renewables and employment equity.

So the separation of Labor from union funding won’t change things much provided that the funding hole is filled elsewhere.

You appear to be indicating that all unions are 'left'...I'd suggest that presumption would be grossly incorrect.

The main "right" unions are the Australian Workers' Union, the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees' Association, the National Union of Workers and the Transport Workers Union.

Whereas the main "left" unions include the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, United Voice, the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union and the Community and Public Sector Union."

I'd suggest these "left" unions are all right of the Greens though...

Gronk

Staff member
You appear to be indicating that all unions are 'left'...I'd suggest that presumption would be grossly incorrect.

The main "right" unions are the Australian Workers' Union, the Shop, Distributive and Allied Employees' Association, the National Union of Workers and the Transport Workers Union.

Whereas the main "left" unions include the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union, United Voice, the Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union and the Community and Public Sector Union."

I'd suggest these "left" unions are all right of the Greens though...
Do you think that any of the “right” unions are to the right of centre ?

Latest posts