What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cursed players

moffla

Bench
News filtering through that Christian Welch has suffered another ACL injury.

He missed the 2017 premiership with the same injury, and it one of the games good guys with the stuff he does off field.

Got me thinking which other players have been cursed with injuries? One that comes immediately to mind is Joey - although still had an incredible career

TheFrog

Coach
Hard to imagine Joey's injury problems in the back end of his career weren't lifestyle related.

Greg Waddell is the player I think of as cursed. Schoolboy prodigy, murdered it in the junior reps, signed a record junior contract, was rated above Inglis, Cam Smith and Israel Folou, and never played a first grade game due to injury after injury.

Another one is Jackson Hastings, but for different reasons. He's still young enough to resurrect his career.

perverse

Referee
Brent Tate and Tautau Moga immediately spring to mind. Slade Griffin. I think Tedesco had a rough run early in his career too?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Brent Tate and Tautau Moga immediately spring to mind. Slade Griffin. I think Tedesco had a rough run early in his career too?
Tedesco had a couple of bad knee injuries. Of course he'll remain injury free at East's...
Benji's early years with his shoulder problems make it amazing that he's made 300 games as well.

EDIT: Chris Lawrence has has a few horror injuries as well.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Hard to imagine Joey's injury problems in the back end of his career weren't lifestyle related.

Greg Waddell is the player I think of as cursed. Schoolboy prodigy, murdered it in the junior reps, signed a record junior contract, was rated above Inglis, Cam Smith and Israel Folou, and never played a first grade game due to injury after injury.

Another one is Jackson Hastings, but for different reasons. He's still young enough to resurrect his career.
Lol ok Dr Frog

Valheru

Coach
Anthony Minichiello. The fact he played 300 games in the end after sitting out the best part of 4 seasons was incredible.

To this day I maintain that had he not got that terrible back injury in 2006, karmichael hunt would never have played fullback for Australia and Billy Slater would not have been the fullback at the 2008 RLWC.

Last edited:

Latest posts