What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cycling

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Not a good start for the Aussies, crashed in training.

Australian track cyclist rushed to hospital after Team Pursuit squad crash just three days before big race
44bcffa73d9b8b6f3a27847fc5575232

REECE HOMFRAY, adelaidenow
August 9, 2016 10:39am
44bcffa73d9b8b6f3a27847fc5575232

AUSTRALIAN track cyclist Melissa Hoskins has been taken to hospital in an ambulance after the women’s team pursuit squad crashed at training in Rio just three days out from competition.

173e29ba2fb244faea0ed4257ba11140

Hoskins was tended to on the track before being taken away to hospital.
Annette Edmondson was the only rider to avoid the crash at the velodrome while Hoskins, Ashlee Ankudinoff, Amy Cure and Georgie Baker all fell and hit the track.

While some suffered skin grazing, Hoskins is the only one who has gone to hospital as a precaution according to the team.

Hoskins has endured a tough year after she contracted pneumonia early in the season and missed the world championships in March.

They are due to start qualifying when the track competition begins on Thursday.
Doubts will be raised over whether Hoskins will be fit for the competition.
The crash happened as riders were coming into the bend before the home straight.

While the other riders got up, Hoskins lay on the track for about five minutes and was taken out of the velodrome on a stretcher and was conscious.

It is the third crash that has affected the Australian team in Rio after Rohan Dennis fell during training and Richie Porte broke his shoulder in the men’s road race.

Hoskins is a former world champion and one of the most important cogs in Australia’s TP which is considered a gold medal contender in Rio.

Cycling Australia high performance manager Kevin Tabotta hopes to know more about Hoskins’ condition this morning and described the team as “a bunch of fighters”.

He said Hoskins was feeling pain mostly in her hip but she did not lose consciousness at any time and was not in a neck brace. The crash happened after a touch of wheels.

ac5cd5a42068080db60edb4d2beb570f

Hoskins looked in serious distress when she was wheeled away from the track.
“At this stage of the four girls that went down, three appear to be superficial (injuries) with a little bit of bruising and skin off or splinters, but they’ve headed back to the village now and are working on their recovery.

“Mel Hoskins fell the hardest of the four, and she’s been taken to hospital and is with our chief medic for cycling, she’s in good hands, the hospital she’s gone to is an excellent facility so we’ll know more in the next half-hour and from there we’ll know what we do next.

“She was in a little bit of discomfort around the hip, but that’s not unusual for that sort of impact.

“I’m not going to draw any conclusions because often after two, three, four hours the situation is quite different.”

It is a cruel blow for Hoskins who missed this year’s world titles while recovering from pneumonia but Tabotta does not know whether the crash will stop her from racing in Rio this week.

10e24a8d9332ddc77b10f15e8eb229be

“She’s had a rough start and has actually been moving really well, she made a big return fitness wise from the earlier stuff in the year and has been travelling really well,” Tabotta said.

“She’ll be disappointed, this is not ideal, I’m not going to lie, these girls have worked hard for four years to be here but I don’t want to jump to conclusions.”

The Australian track team is expected to train twice more before racing starts on Thursday.

At the track when the crash happened was road cyclist Richie Porte who has his arm in a sling as he recovers from a broken shoulder in the men’s road race on Saturday.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...e/news-story/44bcffa73d9b8b6f3a27847fc5575232

BuffaloRules

Coach
Well, a slow start for the Poms thus far in the Olympics, but now that the Track Cycling has started, they will no doubt zoom up the medal table....

Pommy

Coach
Well, a slow start for the Poms thus far in the Olympics, but now that the Track Cycling has started, they will no doubt zoom up the medal table....

I think we always start slow. We're not swimmers really. The last two days I think we've won 11 medals.

JJ

Immortal
Bit disappointed the Poms beat us in the team sprint - didn't have our best race in the final,, unfortunately

roughyedspud

Coach
Cracking final that..dunno about the aussie game plan,blasted out and dropped a man very early..and then it was just a matter of time till we clawed back the time....good race though

magpie4ever

First Grade
Just watched Anna Meares interview after her sprint race - what a great Aussie, makes me as proud as.

I still remember the sprint final in London 2012, when she took down Queen Victoria - it was up there with Perkins win in Atlanta.

Definitely an Aussie Olympic legend.

Pommy

Coach
Cyclists in Team GB.......trouble in years to come. They are winning everything. Suss?

Just butt hurt I suspect. I could believe there maybe doping going on but an entire team? It's not very discrete is it? We're not Russia.
Seems to me the choice to cut funding in sports we were useless at to increase it in others is paying off.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kenny could finish his career as the second most successful Olympian of all-time.

GB has dominated cycling in three straight Olympics now (whilst the Aussies dominate the World Championships as we taper to the only event that matters lol sound familiar?)

We've also dominated the Tour de France for 5 years. So given our success, I'd suggest that cycling could become somewhat of a cultural institution in Great Britain, with overwhelming success becoming a regular occurrence.

Bazal

Post Whore
Cyclists in Team GB.......trouble in years to come. They are winning everything. Suss?

Just in the track squad they have a Tour de France winner and olympic and world time trial champion with a swag of gold medals across both road and track (Wiggins), the fastest straight up sprinter in the world and former road cycling world champion (Cavendish), and Kenny is a track racing freak, on top of more funding than anyone else in the cycling world for road or track (Chris Froome's Team Sky utilise an estimated $30 MILLION). Cycling is big in the UK, it's well funded and attracts great athletes and they've consistently produced champions on the road and the track for quite a few years now...so, no, not suss in the slightest.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I remember after a games probabaly about 16 years back, the poms announced they would be greatly increase their funding when we were by far the best at most games, they even poached our best coaches.

Look at them now, its paid off pretty well.

Shorty

Staff member
Yep....good luck to Team GB but go back and look at the quotes from the East Germans in the 70s.
I would be thinking that 'other' western country with swimming looks more like the East Germans did than the UK.