What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D/N Test history - Do we want more of them in the future?

TheParraboy

Staff member
I like the idea of two D/N tests for the ashes, only possible this summer cause Perth test got covid canned

We have had double D/N tests in the past in one summer, couple of times, but it is against different opponents in a 2-3 test series.

No reason why we cant play 2 x D/N tests every summer. Especially against India and Poms :sunglasses:
I suspect India will object

For the record we have played 10 x D/N test (all in Oz) won them all :)

There have been another 8 x D/N test played combined in the rest of the world.

Teams
Match DateVenueResult & Scorecard
1Australia vs New Zealand, 3rd Match27-11-2015AdelaideAustralia won by 3 wickets
2 Pakistan vs West Indies, 2nd Match13-10-2016DubaiPakistan won by 56 runs
3Australia vs South Africa, 3rd Match24-11-2016AdelaideAustralia won by 7 wickets
4 Australia vs Pakistan, 1st Match15-12-2016Brisbane Australia won by 39 runs
5England vs West Indies, 1st Match17-08-2017EdgbastonEngland won by an innings and 209 runs
6Pakistan vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Match06-10-2017DubaiSri Lanka won by 68 runs
7Australia vs England, 2nd Match02-12-2017AdelaideAustralia won by 120 runs
8South Africa vs Zimbabwe, 1st Match26-12-2017Port ElizabethSouth Africa won by an innings and 120 runs
9New Zealand vs England, 1st Match22-03-2018AucklandNew Zealand won by an innings and 49 runs
10West Indies vs Sri Lanka, 3rd Match23-06-2018BridgetownSri Lanka won by 4 wickets
11Australia vs Sri Lanka, 1st Match24-01-2019BrisbaneAustralia won by an innings and 40 runs
12 India vs Bangladesh, 2nd Match22-11-2019KolkataIndia won by an innings and 46 runs
13Australia vs Pakistan, 2nd Match29-11-2019AdelaideAustralia won by an innings and 48 runs
14Australia vs New Zealand, 1st Match12-12-2019PerthAustralia won by 296 runs
15Australia vs India, 1st Match17-12-2020AdelaideAustralia won by 8 wickets
16India vs England, 3rd Test24-02-2021AhmedabadIndia won by 10 wickets
17Australia vs England, 2nd Test
Ashes Series 21-22
16-12-2021Adelaide OvalAustralia won by 275 runs
18Australia vs England, 5th Test
The Ashes Series 21-22
14-01-2022HobartAustralia won by 146 runs

Fangs

Coach
I think you have it right. If its 5 or 6 tests then have x2 d/n games.

We have a great record in these matches but they are all at home. Touring teams might be against the idea. You'd have to ensure they get a d/n warm up match in as well I think. Need some time under lights against the pink ball.

Bazal

Post Whore
Absolutely for the home summer there should be more of them.

I'd love to see either a 5 test series with two, or 2 X 3 test series with one each.

Maybe a situation where we try and schedule alternating series? Eg one summer we have a 5 test series at the main grounda, the next we have 6 with the 6th being a D/N at Hobart or Manuka (also alternating...)

JamesRustle

First Grade
I enjoy the D/N tests, but they are throwing up a high number of beltings. 50% of the results are basically winning by an innings (6x an innings, 2x 275+ runs and 2x 8+ wickets). I hope these results even out as more teams are exposed to D/N tests, but I think some touring teams will baulk at facing us in 2 D/N matches in a series.

Valheru

Coach
Brisbane and Adelaide tests should be D/N every year. Pert, Melbourne and Sydney traditional time slots.

That gives the broadcasters 3 tests in prime time every year.

In the event of a 6th test, if Hobart I would go day, if Canberra D/N

We’ve talked scheduling before but for India and England should be a 5 test series. Even SAF.

Summer is mid-November in to early/mid February - there is plenty of time for 6-7 tests in Australia.

Year 1
England 5 tests ( 2 D/N )
Afghanistan or Ireland 1 test ( maybe D/N )

Mid year
Bangladesh 2/3 tests - Darwin / Cairns

Year 2
SAF 3 tests ( 1 D/N )
SL or Pak 3 tests ( 1 D/N )

Mid year
England Ashes

Year 3
India 4 tests ( 1 D/N )
W/I 2 tests ( 1 D/N )
Ireland or Afghanistan 1 test

Year 4
SL or Pak 3 tests ( 1 D/N )
NZ 3 tests ( 1 D/N )
Zimbabwe 1 test

Venues:
SCG, MCG, Perth, Canberra - day only.
Adelaide, Brisbane, Hobart D/N
Cairns, Darwin mid year

Bazal

Post Whore
I really like the idea of a DN test in Canberra once every 3-4 years tbh.

Big APS population, we can all piss off from work on flex at 3pm and head out. Plus they often give us a late summer test match, where the pitch is pretty unavoidably a road most years cos it's so hot and dry. DN test kinda balances that.

Of course if it's a year like it's a green monster still right now I think, but anyway

King-Gutho94

Coach
Great thing about D/N test cricket is i finish work at 3 and basically the days play is just starting so by the time i get home only missed 30-40 mins.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I really like the idea of a DN test in Canberra once every 3-4 years tbh.

Big APS population, we can all piss off from work on flex at 3pm and head out. Plus they often give us a late summer test match, where the pitch is pretty unavoidably a road most years cos it's so hot and dry. DN test kinda balances that.

Of course if it's a year like it's a green monster still right now I think, but anyway

I thought this was originally what it was all about, getting more bums on seats after work.

I'd like to see the numbers of bums on seats V traditional games in say Adelaide to see if it's working, because we need to stack that up against the issues caused by the pink ball, although the pink balls seem to be holding up better now than they originally did..

TheParraboy

Staff member
I enjoy the D/N tests, but they are throwing up a high number of beltings. 50% of the results are basically winning by an innings (6x an innings, 2x 275+ runs and 2x 8+ wickets). I hope these results even out as more teams are exposed to D/N tests, but I think some touring teams will baulk at facing us in 2 D/N matches in a series.

This is true, but its still a relatively new concept globally. I think across a summer where we are playing 5-6 tests, its bloody brilliant to have two of them D/N, to compliment the day tests.

But if say, India knew it was the norm to play 2 x D/N it shouldn't be an issue. Its up to them how they prepare. No different when we go over there and have to play on spin minefields. We know its coming.

I thought this was originally what it was all about, getting more bums on seats after work.

I'd like to see the numbers of bums on seats V traditional games in say Adelaide to see if it's working, because we need to stack that up against the issues caused by the pink ball, although the pink balls seem to be holding up better now than they originally did..

Id say prime time coverage (after 630pm) gets seriously looked at in terms of viewership, and how much revenue/ sponsorship generated in this marquee space

bazza

Immortal
Brisbane and Adelaide tests should be D/N every year. Pert, Melbourne and Sydney traditional time slots.

That gives the broadcasters 3 tests in prime time every year.

In the event of a 6th test, if Hobart I would go day, if Canberra D/N
that would be most broadcast friendly
Sydney and Melbourne in holiday mode so daytime gets the viewers
Perth timezone means it is a day nighter anyway for normal people

Latest posts