What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Tele: Raper - Keep me out of it

By BARRY TOOHEY

November 13, 2003

STUART Raper, widely touted as the man to replace Chris Anderson if he is sacked as Cronulla coach, has revealed it was Anderson who appointed him to the assistant's job at the Sharks.

Anderson will meet with the Sharks board when he returns from the Kangaroo tour on November 26 where his future at the club will be thrashed out.

Sources say the Sharks will attempt to terminate the Test coach's contract and hand over the coaching reins to Raper.

The feuding between Anderson and the Sharks hierarchy has been festering for some time.

It gathered momentum when Anderson issued a "sack me or back me" ultimatum to the board midway through last season and reached fever pitch when the coach reacted after his son Jarrod was cut from the playing ranks at the end of the season.

Anderson promptly did some sacking of his own, getting rid of long-term assistants Theo Burgess and Greg Pierce, the son of Cronulla president Barry Pierce.

But Raper, caught in the crossfire through no fault of his own, is steering well clear of the controversy.

"I'm staying right out of it and not getting involved," Raper said.

"At this stage, I am the assistant to Chris and overseeing things while he is in England.

"What happens when he gets back is up to the club and Chris to sort out."

Raper, a former successful lower grade coach at the Sharks who has strong ties to the club, has spent the past seven years coaching in England.

He had four seasons with Castleford and three with Wigan. He was sacked as Wigan coach prior to his return to Australia.

Raper, who lost out to the Kangaroo coach when Cronulla appointed a coaching replacement for John Lang more than two years ago, said Anderson was responsible for providing him with the opportunity to rejoin the Sharks.

"I didn't really know Chris but when he knew I was coming home, he offered me the assistant's job through a mutual friend," Raper said.

"With him going to England on the tour, he obviously thought I could help out here while he was away. He had everything in place as far as the training schedule goes before he left."

Asked was he ready to step into a first- grade coaching role in the NRL, Raper was again careful not to push his own barrow.

"I was head coach at two clubs in England for seven years but I'd rather not say any more than that at this stage," he said.

millersnose

Post Whore
it is just another story in what will be a frenzy of stories happening right up until the matter is settled

i think the most likely scenario will be raper as "caretaker" until a new coach is found and if he does well they will stick with him

(my opinion only)

imasharkie

Coach
I agree with you millers this scenario you speak of would probably be the best we can expect.
Geez I'm agreeing with you a lot at the moment millers

millersnose

Post Whore
blueboatboy2 said:
I agree with you millers this scenario you speak of would probably be the best we can expect.
Geez I'm agreeing with you a lot at the moment millers

gee BBB

i come here to argue

please dont agree

my desire for confrontation continues unabated

Latest posts