What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily Telegraph/Courier Mail bullsh*t

Goddo

Bench
Surely someone needs to hold these merkins to account

Yesterday they had this story, all speculation, that the Titans were going to move games to PNG and let the PNG bid buy into the Titans. Only person quoted or questioned in the story was some minor person from the PNG bid. I guess you can publish any sort of tid bit of information and build a story around it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-png-to-coast-in/story-e6frexnr-1226196067718

Then today they run another story where they aproach the Titans who deny any sell off or moving of games, except maybe a trial. They had been talking to the PNG bid, but it was about a sponsorship/community program endeavour.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...o-michael-searle/story-e6frexnr-1226197197906

Now to my point - they run crap like this where they make something up, then rescind it almost every second day. They do exactly the same thing with political stories, where they are very fond of charicter assasination as well.

Surely there should be some sort of regulation of this behaviour, especially when they have so many vested conflicting interests in Rugby League.

The story may not be correct but the ambition of the PNG people to buy an existing side is correct. I put a post about this on the international section last month when the prime minister of PNG made such a statement.

firechild

First Grade
Not to mention that Brett Stewart successfully sued them for erroneous reports made in various News Ltd papers that people still take as gospel. Interestingly when Slothfield made comments in the past week about how his court costs left him $350k out of pocket he failed to mention what Brett recouped in payouts from News Ltd.

The amount of rubbish published by News Ltd has been on the increase over the past 5-10 years and it seems that noone wants to do anything about it.

Goddo

Bench
Not to mention that Brett Stewart successfully sued them for erroneous reports made in various News Ltd papers that people still take as gospel. Interestingly when Slothfield made comments in the past week about how his court costs left him $350k out of pocket he failed to mention what Brett recouped in payouts from News Ltd.

The amount of rubbish published by News Ltd has been on the increase over the past 5-10 years and it seems that noone wants to do anything about it.
Exactly.

And its not confined to the sports pages. The whole organisation is riddled with biased, suggestive made up crap.

And I am not trying to make political comment, but the way they charicter assasinate anyone from the left of politics is aweful. They completely lack integrity.

There was a good bit on hampster wheel last night about it:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/hamsterwheel/pages/s3368069.htm
From 5th minute - having a go at the media, News in particular.
and again at 14th minute - having a crack at John Hartigan.
and 18th minute - James Murdoch.
and again at 22 minute - "made up news"

Last edited:

firechild

First Grade
I pay very little attention to the DT in general, only reading the odd RL article (though I'm not sure why) and it seems that all they are interested in doing is using their newspaper as a war vessel against their opponents, be they political or just someone they've had a dispute with. The DT are still very pro-Super League clubs and anti-ARL clubs, especially Manly, who were their main opponent through the legal battles. They're very quick to talk up Melbourne and Brisbane in particular despite the damage that both have done to rugby league over the past 15 years or so. Articles in the DT are based on agendas rather than facts.

God-King Dean

Immortal
That's what I despie about the media; they can get away with anything.

All they have to put in is one 'alledgedly' or 'an anonymous source told us', & they can say whatever they want.

Hutty1986

Immortal

All they have to put in is one 'alledgedly' or 'an anonymous source told us', & they can say whatever they want.

Sources claim I made sweet, sweet love to your mother last night. I can neither confirm nor deny this.

Goddo

Bench
Quick someone interview God King Deans mum.

If she said she didn't sleep with Hutty, run a "GKD Mum too good for Hutty" story.

If she did, run a "GKD mum is a sl*t - GKD furious" story.

And thats how they do it. Make any old sh!t up and run with it.

Valheru

Coach
Rothfield needs to publish these types of stories to get people to stop thinking about Carney.

I can only imagine how many cab drivers with photos he has had to knock back lately.

gUt

Coach

Media Watch often makes this point.

Green Machine

First Grade
The qualification for being Chief Rugby League writer is pretty low at the Tele. Even a Union fan like Andrew Webster could walk into the job,

PJ Marshal

Coach
the courier mail is the worst paper in the world

xavier doherty the new king of spin ... ffs headlines like that galore in that piece of crap paper

firechild

First Grade
The Curious Male is an abomination of a newspaper, even worse than the DT. If Queenslanders read nothing but that newspaper, they'd have no clue that there was a world outside the Queensland border except enemies that were out to steal all their money. It is the biggest piece of propaganda driven dribble going round.

no name

Coach
Exactly.

And its not confined to the sports pages. The whole organisation is riddled with biased, suggestive made up crap.

And I am not trying to make political comment, but the way they charicter assasinate anyone from the left of politics is aweful. They completely lack integrity.

There was a good bit on hampster wheel last night about it:
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/hamsterwheel/pages/s3368069.htm
From 5th minute - having a go at the media, News in particular.
and again at 14th minute - having a crack at John Hartigan.
and 18th minute - James Murdoch.
and again at 22 minute - "made up news"

I watched the hamster wheel last night. The story on Hamish and Andy typifies today's media.

Brutus

Referee
Was Mike Colman's book Superleague really worth reading, considering he's been a News LTD man all his life?

snoozer

Bench
what worries me is that people read the daily t.

if it's better than the courier m, man that paper must suck balls and arse.