What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daily telegraph facts: rewriting rugby league history

hutch

First Grade
Words cannot describe! Seriously, how hard is it to actually research when a sport was formed! I'm sure Australian RL 'journos' think the sport is not played anywhere else on earth!

NRL
Cronulla Sharks oldest fan, Thelma Spencer, is older than rugby league itself

June 20, 2015 8:43pm
Barry TooheyThe Daily Telegraph

Thelma Spencer is going to the Sharks game in Newcastle on Sunday.
SHE’S the footy fan who’s older than the game itself.

And even at 108, Thelma Spencer still never misses a match.

Friday night footy, well that just rolls into the Saturday games on Fox, then the live Channel Nine game on Sunday and into Monday night footy after that..........................

Thelma, a mad Cronulla Sharks fan who celebrated her birthday last Sunday, was born in 1907.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Bless her she was wonderful. Imagine being that fit and well at 108! NRL should give her free lifetime membership and a best seat at the grand final. I'd even have her in some marketing with some little kids. Rugby league - the game for all generations.

taipan

Referee
Bless her she was wonderful. Imagine being that fit and well at 108! NRL should give her free lifetime membership and a best seat at the grand final. I'd even have her in some marketing with some little kids. Rugby league - the game for all generations.

She could be the new cheerleader for the Perth Pirates ,when they get the expansion go ahead in another 108 years time.:sarcasm:
She is exactly one of the reasons, why no club unless financially unviable should be closed or relocated.
Passion is something to be cherished not demolished.Good on her may she live many more years.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
She could be the new cheerleader for the Perth Pirates ,when they get the expansion go ahead in another 108 years time.:sarcasm:
She is exactly one of the reasons, why no club unless financially unviable should be closed or relocated.
Passion is something to be cherished not demolished.Good on her may she live many more years.

Actually, this just shows dissolving and relocating teams isnt a huge deal....

She was turning 60 when he sharks were formed and the only teams still around from 1908 are Souths and Easts.

Despite the game changing so much and despite teams coming and going, "Thelma Spencer still never misses a match"...

taipan

Referee

She was turning 60 when he sharks were formed and the only teams still around from 1908 are Souths and Easts.

Despite the game changing so much and despite teams coming and going, "Thelma Spencer still never misses a match"...

She wasn't a local that's my point.She wasn't a local junior either.:sarcasm: Hell of a difference between a local, following built up locally and a decent numbers of locals following the club locally.

Losing a club means losing support to other codes,means a reduction in juniors,and means local business then support other codes.

Apparently no one has learnt the effects of Nortn Sydneys' exclusion from the NRL.
Whiteant heartland simply to expand,dumb.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
She wasn't a local that's my point.She wasn't a local junior either.:sarcasm: Hell of a difference between a local, following built up locally and a decent numbers of locals following the club locally.

Losing a club means losing support to other codes,means a reduction in juniors,and means local business then support other codes.

Apparently no one has learnt the effects of Nortn Sydneys' exclusion from the NRL.
Whiteant heartland simply to expand,dumb.

Actually, this all just says we should only relocate teams.....

You mentioned Norths; well they are looking to come back in a new location and all their fans seem dead keen. The reconstruction that followed SuperLeague has shown us only that fans are happy to support teams in new locations as long as they maintain their traditional brand.

Mr_Ugly

Juniors

Wests and Tigers have been around since 1908 ... although to be fair, the Tigers side of the partnership died about 7 or so years ago!:cool: