What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dakuitoga is new Bati coach

kiwileaguefan

Juniors
Dakuitoga is new Bati coach

Friday, November 16, 2007

FORMER Fiji Bati rep Jo Dakuitoga will coach the national team to the Rugby League World Cup next year.

Dakuitoga replaces Arthur Kitinas who withdrew his services following differences in protocol during the Fiji Bati tour to Tonga last month.

The Fiji Rugby League Board met on Wednesday night to elect a new coach from several applicants.

FNRL boss Peni Musunamasi said Dakuitoga, a former Penrith Panthers star, had proven his allegiance to the Fiji Bati.

Dakuitoga coached the Bati side to beat Samoa during the World Cup qualifiers and win gold at the South Pacific Games.

"He has been with the players for a long time and was part of our development efforts," Musunamasi said.

"He knows the players in the team so there should not be a problem in communication."
Musunamasi said preparations for the world cup would not be affected by the new appointment.

"We will continue with our preparations with the local-based players. We need to work on our combinations now."

nadera78

Juniors
Not exactly overwhelmed by this appointment. I think I'm right in saying he coached the team a few years back and they didn't do much. Thought they might be able to pick up someone with a bit more oomph.

ucantseeme

Juniors
Kitinas gone because of "differences in protocol", what does that mean. He got them to the WC.

Maybe its one of those officials with, "i told you to pick my nephew in the team and you didnt" types of protocols.

BatiFan

Juniors
Dakuitoga has been an assistant to Kitinas over the past few years and has been the driving force behind the development domestically in Fiji so I dont see it as being a bad thing. The only concern I have is whether there is any bad blood now between the FNRL and the Australian Fijian organisations. I hope not for the sake of the Fiji Bati team for the WC next year, as Fiji will need these overseas based players to be competitive.

SouthsvsNRL said:
Will be an uphill battle for the Fijians . Think they will be entertaining but will get beaten by the French.

Will be interesting to see. I am absolutely STOKED that they are playing France at WIN. Can't wait.

I think it is disappointing they've lost someone with such extensive NRL and AUstralian RL experience.

BatiFan

Juniors
The only fear I hold for Fiji now is that some of the OZ based players will side with Kitinas in this fallout and boycott the national team as a result. I know Kitinas had strong support from a number of players including former NRL player Wise Kativerata. For Fiji to be competitive they need the likes of Kativerata, Wes Naiqama, Semi Tadulala, Namila Davui, Darryl Millard, Ashton Simms, John Sutton, Tabua Cakacaka passionate about representing Fiji. This will encourage the younger brigade like Akuila Uate, Kevin Naiqama (both Newcastle), Peni Tagive (Wests Tigers), Ryan Millard (Bulldogs) to get on board with the Fijian cause.

brendothejet

First Grade
I've met a lot of Fijian footy players and had the pleasure of playing alongside several who have represented fiji in 7's, International and Full Test level.

They are the most passionate blokes I've seen. They are proud. They will play for Fiji.

I was sitting in the pub one night and having a chat with W. Naiqama when a bloke lobbed over, a little drunk and started talking away as people do when they see an idol. Eventually the fella said "Wes you should be playing State of Origin for the Blues."

Wes turned and said "no way mate, I'm Fijian!"

That my friends says it all.

Fiji will be there and they will do International RL proud!

Latest posts