What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dallas Johnson

Talanexor

Juniors
The way Taumata has been playing for us and how quickly he's fit into the team dynamic im leaning more towards letting him nail down the number 6 jersey and have Thompson on the bench as utility. He can cover the halves and hooker positions while getting some more experience (lets face it, he only got a run because Rovelli was playing horrible, even Graham got a run at 5/8).

1. Matt Bowen
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Brent Tate
4. Willie Tonga
5. Will Tupou
6. Arana Taumata
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Willie Mason
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Ray Thompson
15. Dane Hogan
16. Isaac Ah Mau
17. Tariq Sims

18. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
19. Ashley Graham
20. Shannon Gallant
21. Ryan Williamson
22. Ben Harris
23. Michael Morgan
24. ????
25. ????

Good looking side on paper, but I disagree with your comments about Taumata. Taumata is an explosive, running five-eighth who is at his best when he takes the line on. Thompson is a classic organising halfback.

Thompson can organise the play, share the kicking duties and take some of the playmaking pressure off Thurston; JT can just sit back and do his thing, instead of having to be involved in everything.

Taumata, on the other hand, provides plenty of enthusiasm and has a brilliant step/running game. He'd offer essentially what Watts did off the bench. I'm not convinced Thompson would. Equally, Taumata is not the perfect halves partner for Thurston for the same reason Watts never worked there - he's too instinctive and unpredictable.

elyod138

Bench
I think Fai-Fai Loa will be there ahead of Tupou if he plays well in the trials, he is better in that position.

I think Tupou will be effective in the 2nd row (probably no room in the full strength side for him yet, but there will be injuries).

Charlie124

First Grade
With Taumata playing five-eighth against the Knights, we looked more structured and organised than any of the games we've played this season. It wasnt so much him that did all the organising (i agree that he isnt an organiser), but he just fit there and it worked so everything else flowed better.
I also think he's got a whole lot more to offer than just his explosiveness, his defence really stood out at times during that game with a few ball-and-all tackles when it looked like the Knights were getting on the outside. You mentioned his ball running and step and they're huge assets to have at our disposal too. I just think Taumata will offer more to the team than Thompson can.

elyod138

Bench
I think Thompson is the better fit too, I think we looked at our best this year in his couple of games with JT.

Taumata would be great outside someone like Kimmorley but I think for years we have been desperate for an organiser and someone with a cool head to play in the halves with JT.

carncowboys

Juniors
The way Taumata has been playing for us and how quickly he's fit into the team dynamic im leaning more towards letting him nail down the number 6 jersey and have Thompson on the bench as utility. He can cover the halves and hooker positions while getting some more experience (lets face it, he only got a run because Rovelli was playing horrible, even Graham got a run at 5/8).

1. Matt Bowen
2. Antonio Winterstein
3. Brent Tate
4. Willie Tonga
5. Will Tupou
6. Arana Taumata
7. Jonathon Thurston
8. Matt Scott
9. Aaron Payne
10. James Tamou
11. Scott Bolton
12. Willie Mason
13. Dallas Johnson

14. Ray Thompson
15. Dane Hogan
16. Isaac Ah Mau
17. Tariq Sims

18. Kalifa Fai-Fai Loa
19. Ashley Graham
20. Shannon Gallant
21. Ryan Williamson
22. Ben Harris
23. Michael Morgan
24. ????
25. ????

side looks great, but with dream i think Fai Fai Loa will get teh nod ahead of Tupou, but all depends on pre-season. Im still trying to work out wether i like Mason at Prop or second row but leaning towards him being better out wide. Id Have Taumata at 14, just so we have impact off teh bench. The 18-25 is looking very skinny, only one make-shift forward(Harris) and i think we need to put Segyaro in there. Again it all depends how pre-season goes. Really chomping at the bit for next seasons kick off

Nth-Qld-Raider

Juniors
Cowboys secure Dallas Jonhson for NRL return

The lure of playing in North Queensland with a stellar representative lineup has won the North Queensland Toyota Cowboys the signature of Atherton-born Dallas Johnson on a three-year deal.

Johnson is an Australian and Queensland State of Origin representative lock forward, who debuted as a Kangaroo in 2007 and played 12 Origin games for Queensland (2006-09) and 158 NRL games for the Melbourne Storm before joining French Super League club Catalans Dragons for 2010.

Known for his consistency and high involvement, Johnson is a seasoned grand finalist and is held in high regard by Cowboys coach Neil Henry, who worked closely with Johnson in four successful Origin campaigns.

For Johnson, who will leave the Catalans to take up his position with the Cowboys for season 2011, his return to Australia not only heralds the resurgence of his NRL career but will also be a homecoming for the North Queenslander.

Johnson played junior league for the Herberton Magpies and is keen to settle his family in North Queensland on contract with the Cowboys until 2013.

“I’m excited to be returning to the NRL after playing a season overseas,” he said.

“It was a big decision to leave, but the opportunity to play for the Cowboys and to establish our home base from Townsville was too good.

“I’m looking forward to this new start, and to playing NRL in Cowboys colours next season.”

For Cowboys Executive Director Peter Parr, securing the deal is a great result for the club and North Queensland.

“We’re delighted that Dallas has agreed to join the Cowboys from 2011 on a three-year deal,” Parr said.

“He’s a player whose outstanding record speaks for itself.

“Not only will we benefit from his tireless work rate, but his leadership on and off the field will also be a great addition to our team.”

http://www.cowboys.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=29616

Last edited:

Talanexor

Juniors
Great signing. DJ and Tate should go a long way toward fixing our defensive issues.

I reckon it'll help Hogan develop his game too. I know he's modelled his game on O'Donnell and Gallen (high work rate in attack AND defence) but hopefully DJ will be able to mentor him a bit, especially insofar as defense is concerned.

Bolton, Cooper, Johnson, Ah Mau, Hogan, Leary....our backrow stocks are looking good, with exactly the right blend of youth and experience.

Now, if only Petero Civinoceva was getting homesick, and wanted a release to return to QLD...

andrew057

First Grade
Fantastic signing for the 'Boys.

Theyve done a full 180 from the sh*t of T. Williams, Webb, Kafusi, Manakofoa and the like.

If Henry can't get this team to finals surely he deserves the axe.

You guys have picked up an awesome player...not flashy but tackles his heart out and can play 80 mins if needed.

More of these types of players are needed and he is a good experienced player to build a forward pack around IMO.

Noa

First Grade
good signimg, you know what you,ll get game in game out BUT if other players dont raise there game he will make not one iota of difference to where you finish.

Patorick

Staff member
Very unlucky to miss out on the first Origin, can't believe they didn't find a spot for him somewhere.

Charlie124

First Grade
Im not surprised at all, and id be a little dissappointed for Harrison if he was overlooked. DJ will make it back into the team at some stage im sure, but nobody (in his position) deserves to be dropped now that he is available again. Im sure DJ himself didnt expect to be handed his jersey back.

beave

Coach
He is busted, I would rather him have a week off and get right than play origin. I might sound like a clown, but the Cowboys are my priority, QLD is a distant 2nd I'm afraid.

Talanexor

Juniors
QLD have had plenty of success lately, the Cowboys have had precious little since 2007.

I'm a bit disappointed for DJ, because he's been great week in week out for us and deserves an origin spot imo.

But like Beave I'm stoked that he gets some extra time to heal those niggling injuries and should be fresh and eager to rip in against the Roosters.

juanfarkall

Coach
I have noticed the past few matches that Johnson is wearing a neck brace like Tate's.
Has Johnson been wearing this all year ?
I don't recall him wearing it when he played for Smelbourne.

elyod138

Bench
I have noticed the past few matches that Johnson is wearing a neck brace like Tate's.
Has Johnson been wearing this all year ?
I don't recall him wearing it when he played for Smelbourne.

He's been wearing it for most of this year, if not all of it.

Didgi

If I remember right he was concussed in a tackle at one point and from then on he's had it.