What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

**Damien Martyn Appreciation Thread**

The Colonel

Immortal
Punter and Binga will join...... and I think there is a selector or two that may be up for it as well! :roll:

knights04

Bench
images
inline

Disco

Bench
In 6 months time everyone here will be gushing "awwh Martyn is the best timer in world cricket, what a champ"

u are a fickle bunch

The Colonel

Immortal
Disco said:
In 6 months time everyone here will be gushing "awwh Martyn is the best timer in world cricket, what a champ"

Believe what you will. The guy is useless and I have stood by that since the 6/1/1994 and will continue to stand by that assessment until he is finally dropped from the team.

Doctor

Bench
Disco said:
u are a fickle bunch

Key word: Fickel

The people that knock Martyn are of the same breed that rubbished Ponting when he made 17 runs in 5 innings against India in 2001 - he is now Australia's in-form batsman.

So too the Symonds bashers who this time last year I was trying to convince of Symond's abilities. He sure proved those bashers wrong.

Stephen Waugh was also under the pump from the same type of people - and he exploded in 2003 to record one of the highest averages of the calendar year.

Martyn's series hasn't been crash hot - but those with memories stretching back to the end of last year will remember a century and two 60s (one not-out) that Martyn chalked up against, you guessed it: India, in India. He sure does well for a batsman incapable of batting against India.

You may also recall he averaged nearly 60 in One Day cricket last year, against quality opposition.

Suddenly his previous form goes down the toilet because people have decided he can no longer bat. His form hasn't been great, but given Mark Waugh spent a whole career batting in such highs and lows, I really don't know what the fuss is about.

I must admit that I haven't been a big fan of the selectors over the years - but for all their mistakes they haven't exhibited such flagrant disregard for previous form as shown here.

Such capricious selections are the product of not maintaining a memory longer than one series.

The Colonel

Immortal
Oswin said:
The people that knock Martyn are of the same breed that rubbished Ponting when he made 17 runs in 5 innings against India in 2001 - he is now Australia's in-form batsman.

So too the Symonds bashers who this time last year I was trying to convince of Symond's abilities. He sure proved those bashers wrong.

Stephen Waugh was also under the pump from the same type of people - and he exploded in 2003 to record one of the highest averages of the calendar year.

I have always been a big defender of Steve Waugh and Ricky Ponting. I have had faith in the abilities of Symonds however was unsure if he could produce at the top level but was glad when he did.

However when it comes to Martyn I have no time what so ever. And have not done so since he made his debut. The fact he hasn't scored a test century in almost two years is a current factor especially as he is installed as Australia's number four batsman. Given Australia's batting performances of late have not required a huge input from their number 4 bar the last series it hasn't been a worrying factor. However the retirement of Waugh has lost us the dependable Number 5. In the next two years the bulk of the Test side will retire. He either needs to produce runs or we need to rebuild and start with the Number 4 whilst positions 1, 2 and 3 are so strong.

The fact that he remains in the ODI side is not a huge concern for me at present as his form in recent series has been good. However he either needs a rest or some time in domestic cricket to regain form instead of persisting like we did with Mark Taylor.

Anonymous

Juniors
I don't see a problem with people criticising a player and then calling him the world's best batsmen, a long as are man enough to admit they were wrong. I was critical of Ponting for a long time, but have since been proved dreadfully wrong, and I now realise he is one of the finest batsmen in the world. Does that make me fickle? Similarly if people admit they were wrong they're hardly being fickle, they're calling it as they see it.

Hoggy

Bench
I don't mind him when he plays attacking cricket.

But the main thing is....he was the one that took Deano's place in the side. :evil:

Doctor

Bench
Given Australia's batting performances of late have not required a huge input from their number 4 bar the last series it hasn't been a worrying factor. However the retirement of Waugh has lost us the dependable Number 5. In the next two years the bulk of the Test side will retire. He either needs to produce runs or we need to rebuild and start with the Number 4 whilst positions 1, 2 and 3 are so strong.

I can see that logic - Number 4 should be scoring centuries and Martyn needs to lift his game. I mainly defend him for the one dayers though - if Martyn is dropped from Test matches then there is probably sufficient cause. His ODI performances over a longer short-term period (if you follow my logic), are not sufficient to drop him - it is in the One Day game that I defend his right to his position.

It is worth pointing out that even though I defend Martyn, I do see that his form is not acceptable at present. You can't go through a summer like this, score not enough runs, and expect people to not notice. I am not ignorant of his poor form.

But my emphasis is on ensuring we don't let one series cloud overall performances. I'm not just talking about career performances either. It is worth assessing:
Has Martyn produced in the past? Yes
When did he last have a good series? The last one
How hard was the series? Pretty tough opposition in a tough environment.
Is his current form poor enough to ignore recent history? Probably not, although many seem to think so.

Martyn's One Day spot is ironically more secure than his Test spot in my opinion - this can change if his current trot continues. There may come a time in the next few weeks and months where past history no longer plays an important role in deciding if he should remain in the side. Poor form often reverses, but sometimes it just doesn't, or else the selectors feel that enough is enough.

There are some valid comments made about Martyn - I also see his poor stats but try and learn from my history of predicting sackings and realise that more often than not, these players start producing form.