What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dan Tolar - Now Limited

Matt23

Staff member
Thanks for everything, Dan, good luck with your future endeavour's :nwave:
Newcastle Knights front rower Dan Tolar has today announced his retirement due to ongoing knee and Achilles tendon injuries.
The Central Charlestown junior made his debut for the Knights in Round 12 in the 2004 season and went on to play 101 games. In 2010, he was honoured to captain the Knights when Kurt Gidley was on State of Origin duties.

The 28-year old is naturally disappointed to be retiring from the NRL.

“I have been at the Club a long time now, I came here as a 15-year old, and it is just disappointing that injuries have forced me to pull the pin earlier than I planned,” Tolar said.

“I take with me a lot of great memories and now look forward to the next chapter of my life.”

Knights CEO Matthew Gidley praised the one-team player for his service to the Club.

“It is unfortunate that injury has brought about Dan’s early retirement,” Gidley said.

“He is a popular member of the team; he will be missed as a great team man and mentor to the younger players coming through.

“Dan should be proud of what he has achieved. He was a committed and professional home-grown talent and you knew he wouldn’t let you down.

“We thank Dan for his contribution to the Knights and we certainly wish him and his family all the best in whatever he chooses to do next.”

Tolar will take part in the tribute to the retiring players at the NRL Grand Final later this week.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
Dan's far from the most intimidating prop in the world but he tried hard.

Good luck Mr. Unlimited.

Good luck in retirement Dan. You were born 20 years too late... back in the late 80's, when all our props were blokes with limited talents and tonnes of heart, you would have been a hero.

Sean18

Juniors
Good luck to him in the future. This should free up some money to sign Cuthbertson now.

perverse

Referee
im glad he's gone. i think he has a lot of you suckered that he played with heart... i can remember many truly gutless performances quite vividly. that isn't to say that he never had a dig, that is to say that he didn't always have a dig. i suppose it often looks like a bloke is having a dig when he's not quite good enough and struggling. some of his better games did show what he was capable of (something between tolerable and useful) when he was actually having a good dig at it.

whatever, though, i'm just glad i don't have to suffer his ineptitude any longer. i'm sure he'll kill it for whatever local side gets him. like any player, he did have his games... but they were sparsely spread out. see ya later, Mr Unlimited.

... and billy's comment above reminded me quite clearly of the phrase "pay peanuts, get monkeys".

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
im glad he's gone. i think he has a lot of you suckered that he played with heart... i can remember many truly gutless performances quite vividly. that isn't to say that he never had a dig, that is to say that he didn't always have a dig. i suppose it often looks like a bloke is having a dig when he's not quite good enough and struggling. some of his better games did show what he was capable of (something between tolerable and useful) when he was actually having a good dig at it.

whatever, though, i'm just glad i don't have to suffer his ineptitude any longer. i'm sure he'll kill it for whatever local side gets him. like any player, he did have his games... but they were sparsely spread out. see ya later, Mr Unlimited.

... and billy's comment above reminded me quite clearly of the phrase "pay peanuts, get monkeys".

Time for a new forum banner: League UnTolarable

B-dos

Referee

well said pervey

'he tries hard' is about as poor an excuse for ineptitude as it gets in the NRL.. it works for 12 year olds, not professional players being paid to be there

Johns Magic

Referee
More to the point, it seemed like there was a general lack of purpose to most of his runs. They were soft and submissive.

Best of luck to him in his post footy life.

That being said, that feeling of rage I got when seeing him on the team sheet wont be missed!

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
More to the point, it seemed like there was a general lack of purpose to most of his runs. They were soft and submissive.

Yeah exactly. Anyone saying that he played with heart is talking out of their arses. Paul Harragon played with heart, Martin Lang played with heart, some of Fa'aoso's runs demonstrated that he plays with heart. I reckon 99.9% of Tolars hit ups he was thinking of how he would submit in the tackle, rather than using his run as an opportunity to lift the team around him.