What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Mortimer for Gold Logie

Gronk

Staff member
Eels must make most of golden opportunity

Daniel Lane

April 24, 2011

Daniel_Mortimer-200x0.jpg
Time to lift ... Eels playmaker Daniel Mortimer. Photo: Getty Images

DANIEL MORTIMER believes the rumour mill linking almost any off-contract player with Parramatta is not disrupting the struggling Eels.
Tipped during the pre-season to be one of this year's premiership forces after the recruitment of coach Stephen Kearney and hardened veterans including Carl Webb, the Eels have won only two games and must beat the Gold Coast today to stay within reach of the leading teams.
However, the fact player agents know the club's management has money to spend – and are under pressure to produce – means players are being constantly linked with the club.
Advertisement: Story continues below
Former Penrith five-eighth and Italian rugby international Craig Gower was the most recent name linked to the Eels, but Mortimer said a lot of the rumours stemmed from the widespread knowledge his club was cashed up.
“I'm not sure how that speculation affects the boys individually, but for me it just means I focus on my footy,” Mortimer said. “We don't let too much [outside talk] infiltrate our team, we do what we need to do.
“But it's not an issue for me, if I'm playing well all will take care of itself. I guess it's common knowledge that Parramatta does have some money to spend, so when a player comes off contract people would see the club as an option.”
Mortimer said his immediate concern was to fill the breach left in Parramatta's attack by Jarryd Hayne's two-match suspension for headbutting Bulldogs forward Corey Payne during last weekend's loss.
Mortimer, 21, said he had accepted that it was his job to spark the Eels in today's must-win match at Parramatta Stadium, describing it as a “challenge” he'd happily accepted. “Absolutely, it is up to me to direct the team and to take the opportunity – I'm looking forward to the challenge,” the Eels five-eighth said.
Mortimer, who was hailed as the code's boom boy during the Eels' charge towards the 2009 grand final, also viewed today as yet another important lesson in his development as a top-grader.
“I am still improving, I am glad to have the chance to be learning and I will continue to keep working on our game,” he said. “As a team, we've put together some good patches this year . . . and that's probably the best way to describe it . . . we've been patchy.
“Our first 30 minutes against the Bulldogs were really good, we should have stuck to that, but a few things happened in the game . . . it will take just a few wins to help our confidence.
“We're still learning the coach's structure and the way we play. We are getting there, and I think it will only be a matter of time before it swings around for us.”
Mortimer acknowledged that the Eels supporters expected more from him and his teammates but he insisted it would take only a couple of wins – starting today against a Titans team that boasts an in-form Scott Prince at No.7 – to be up and among the premiership's contenders.
“The way the competition is at the moment means if you're not on top of your game any side will beat you,” he said. “At Parramatta we just need two or three wins to get back.” The Gold Coast have had an equally disappointing start to the year, however, the Titans were buoyed by last weekend's come-from-behind win over the Wests Tigers and the return to form of Prince.
“It seems to be starting to turn for them,” Mortimer said of his opponents. “We know we can beat any team on our day, we just need to be on our game.”
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...opportunity-20110423-1dsdv.html#ixzz1KNTYNx2s

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The bloke would talk to the press under water with a mouth full of golf balls...... I for one and anticpating a lethal display from Morts today......

Gronk

Staff member
Daniel Mortimer learns from nightmare season

• David Beniuk
  • April 24, 2011 7:46PM
PARRAMATTA five-eighth Daniel Mortimer says he learned more from the NRL club's nightmare 2010 than its dream 2009.

Constantly under pressure as the Eels struggle for creativity, Mortimer laid on two of his side's tries in the dramatic 22-18 win over Gold Coast, while halves partner Jeff Robson had a hand in the other two.

With reports South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow is on his way to Parramatta, Mortimer said he was confident his game was moving forward.

"The first year was a dream run, I was very fortunate to be a part of that," he said of the 2009 run to the grand final.

"I've definitely learnt since then that footy's much more of a grind and it's not all roses like that first year.

"I've probably learnt more since '09 doing it tough last year.

"I think I leant more last year than the year before and I'll just keep taking that on board and keep striving to better my performances."

Mortimer has been under the microscope since Canterbury came calling, looking to reunite his famous surname with the club.

He was "rested" by former Eels coach Daniel Anderson last year, while he and Robson have borne the brunt of the criticism about the Eels' lack of penetration.

It's been one of the NRL's mysteries how the pairing which took the club to the 2009 decider has struggled since.

"We try to just keep our head in footy and we're working hard on our game and it was pleasing we got the win today," Mortimer said.

"We'll just keep working away, chipping away all the things we've got to work on and hopefully get a few more wins.

"Hopefully we'll just give more and more direction to the team and I think that's something we are improving on."

New coach Stephen Kearney has backed his playmakers to have an impact on the race for the 2011 premiership.

"I'm going to keep persevering and keep working with them," he said.

"They know they've got improvement in them and they know we have to improve to be competitive in this competition, but I'm going to give them every opportunity.

"It's not going to be a click of the finger job and happen like that."
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...nightmare-season/story-e6frfgbo-1226044157303

Gronk

Staff member
Eels must make most of golden opportunity

DANIEL MORTIMER believes the rumour mill linking almost any off-contract player with Parramatta is not disrupting the struggling Eels. Tipped during the pre-season to be one of this year's premiership forces after the recruitment of coach Stephen Kearney and hardened veterans including Carl Webb, the Eels have won only two games and must beat the Gold Coast today to stay within reach of the leading teams.
However, the fact player agents know the club's management has money to spend – and are under pressure to produce – means players are being constantly linked with the club.
Former Penrith five-eighth and Italian rugby international Craig Gower was the most recent name linked to the Eels, but Mortimer said a lot of the rumours stemmed from the widespread knowledge his club was cashed up.
“I'm not sure how that speculation affects the boys individually, but for me it just means I focus on my footy,” Mortimer said. “We don't let too much [outside talk] infiltrate our team, we do what we need to do.
“But it's not an issue for me, if I'm playing well all will take care of itself. I guess it's common knowledge that Parramatta does have some money to spend, so when a player comes off contract people would see the club as an option.”
Mortimer said his immediate concern was to fill the breach left in Parramatta's attack by Jarryd Hayne's two-match suspension for headbutting Bulldogs forward Corey Payne during last weekend's loss.
Mortimer, 21, said he had accepted that it was his job to spark the Eels in today's must-win match at Parramatta Stadium, describing it as a “challenge” he'd happily accepted. “Absolutely, it is up to me to direct the team and to take the opportunity – I'm looking forward to the challenge,” the Eels five-eighth said.
Mortimer, who was hailed as the code's boom boy during the Eels' charge towards the 2009 grand final, also viewed today as yet another important lesson in his development as a top-grader.
http://www.parramattasun.com.au/blo...-make-most-of-golden-opportunity/2147167.aspx

Gronk

Staff member
Mortimer ready to fight for spot

NICK MCGRATH
07 May, 2011 04:00 AM

1230283.jpg

PARRAMATTA five-eighth Daniel Mortimer is confident the Eels’ signing of South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow on a rich four-year deal will give the club the kick it needs to get their 2011 campaign back on track.Sandow will get first crack at the famous blue and gold No.7 jersey for the 2012 season, leaving Mortimer and half Jeff Robson in a showdown for the No.6.
Mortimer said Sandow’s signature will put pressure on a number of players - including himself - but it might just be the tonic the Eels need for 2011.
“Absolutely. It’s kind of a good thing all of the speculation is over and we can really focus on our footy now,” Mortimer said.
“It puts us under pressure to hold our spot next year but it could be a good thing. It could give us the little kick we needed. We’re still very much focused on this year and what we have to do.”
Mortimer was back in Orange this week with the Eels enjoying a round nine bye.
“Every time I have few days off I always try and get home. It wasn’t so much I needed a break or to get my mind away, it’s just I love coming home and seeing the family,” he said back at the family vineyard.
Despite the 21-year-old saying he hasn’t come home to Orange to take his mind off things, there’s no hiding the fact the Eels have been hammered for their slow start to the season.
Under new coach Stephen Kearney, they’ve won three of their opening eight matches and currently sit in 12th place - above last year’s grand finalist the Sydney Roosters and the heavily-backed Canberra Raiders.
So are things really as bad as they seem?
Mortimer doesn’t think so.
“There are a few teams doing worse but Parra seems to always be a focal point,” he said.
“There’s always a lot of interest in Parramatta, I guess, which brings about pressure. But I mean, it’s a good place to be under the microscope. A lot of people are interested in the team and how we’re going.
“We haven’t had the best start to the year but it’s only very early days. We’re confident within ourselves that we can make the eight at the end of the year.”
However, things only get tougher from here on.
The Eels travel to North Queensland to take on the fourth-placed Cowboys next Saturday night.
“We knocked them off a few weeks back which is probably one of our best performances of the year and they’ve only lost a couple of games this year,” said the CYMS junior, referring to their 22-20 win over the Cowboys at Parramatta Stadium.
“They’ll be very hard, especially up there.
“They’re a good side, we’ll have to really bounce back off this bye week. A win up there will be pretty big news.”
Mortimer will go up against Test half Johnathan Thurston in the Cowboys game.
If the diminutive Eels playmaker can get one up against Thurston next Saturday, it’ll go a long way to securing two competition points for Parramatta.
“I think (Thurston) is the benchmark of the game. He is just a freak of a player,” Mortimer said.
“It’s exciting coming up against players of his calibre, just to compare yourself. I’m still in awe of some of the players I’m up against and he’s definitely one of them.”
After bursting onto the scene in the 2009 season, Mortimer was touted as a future representative star.
But with the Eels struggling in their last two campaigns, Mortimer has, too.
He said although it was a dream to one day play for NSW Country, NSW and the Kangaroos, the Eels were his primary focus.
“Down the track if I got offered a Country jersey I’d take it with both hands but I’m still very much focused on Parramatta and what we need to do to make the eight,” he said.
The Eels take on North Queensland at Dairy Farmers Stadium on 7.30pm on Saturday, May 14.
But in the meantime, Mortimer will be relaxing back at home and enjoying his time here in Orange.
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....dy-to-fight-for-spot/2155467.aspx?storypage=0

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Nice picture of morts wandering through the vineyards.
I like the bit at the end where dreams of playing for the kangaroos.

SDM

First Grade
New NRL scandal, looks like Morts has been seeing Monaghan's bitch.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I bet he has bonuses written into his contract for when he gets chosen for the blues and kangaroos.
He's going to cost us cap space.
I'm very worried.

Captain BF

Juniors
Wow! Talk about delusional! I wonder if he actually believes that he will be good enough one day to be a rep player? I hope he does improve that much, but boy does he have a long way to go! I reckon his best chance may be if they bring back City 2nds Vs Country 2nds.

TheParraboy

Staff member
About time a Morts article, I was getting withdrawel symptoms

Another one by the end of the week please Dan

TheRam

Coach
“Down the track if I got offered a Country jersey I’d take it with both hands but I’m still very much focused on Parramatta and what we need to do to make the eight,” he said.

Oh my God...:lol::lol::lol:

yy_cheng

Coach
can't they zone off Orange as a part of QLD.

Then he can play for the maroons.

Interesting that KK is a 2 year rep player and we keep the non-rep player.

yy_cheng

Coach
BTW, hindy is on tele quite alot too. I reckon he's paving his way for post footy.

Last week, he was co-commentator on City vs Country and he was on the footy show and fox sports 2.

forward pass

Coach
BTW, hindy is on tele quite alot too. I reckon he's paving his way for post footy.

Last week, he was co-commentator on City vs Country and he was on the footy show and fox sports 2.

I am pretty sure he has earned the right. Morts on the other hand.......

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he was good in the City Country game

"good player that wotnot"

his dry sense of humour just went over Brandy's and Freddy's head

Latest posts