What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Mortimer for Gold Logie

Captain BF

Juniors
I can't find the story online, but it is reported in todays (24/6/11) Daily Telegraph, page 41 that Morts has been selected in the preliminary squad for the NSW Residents team which plays before Origin #3. Reni Maitua and Tom Humble have also been selected in the squad.

Gronk

Staff member
I can't find the story online, but it is reported in todays (24/6/11) Daily Telegraph, page 41 that Morts has been selected in the preliminary squad for the NSW Residents team which plays before Origin #3. Reni Maitua and Tom Humble have also been selected in the squad.

Well done Morts. Proves what we always thought - you are a very good reserve grader. Hehe

Ike E Bear

Juniors
With Mitchell gone, I think it's only a matter of time before Mortimer finds his way back onto the bench.

I think Reni will be putting pressure on Horo and Lassalo at this stage.

yy_cheng

Coach
I'd say Webb more than Horo or Lasalo.

Don;t agree coz

8. Mannah
9.MK
10. Fui
11. Hindy
12. Reni
13. Benny

14. Horo
15. Lasalo
16. Shack
17. Allgood

Basically, Reni will take Webb's spot and if SK wants 2nd hooker (not saying that he can pass left to right well anyway), Mortz will get the 15. replacing imho, lasalo.

If SK does want the 2nd hooker, it would probably rotate to:

Casey Hooker
Robbo right side
Mortz left side.

But then that just brings us back to the days when we were playing bad.

So I wouldn't stick Mortz at 14,.

Instead, probably, Casey to hooker, Reni to take the left side attack and Horo to replace Reni in the 2nd row.

wittyfan

Referee
England ruled out as Mortimer waits for NRL recall

art-353-469989935-200x0.jpg

Happy to play the waiting game ... Mortimer. Photo: Steve Christo

THE manager of Daniel Mortimer has effectively ruled out England as an option for his client, maintaining the 22-year-old still feels he has a future in the NRL.

After Mortimer was given permission to negotiate with other clubs last week by Parramatta, he was quickly linked to Super League, particularly Salford. But manager Steve Gillis said Mortimer still had much to offer in Australia.

''We pretty much ruled out England straight away,'' Gillis said yesterday. ''He's got plenty to offer here. You'd never say never, but it's unlikely.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

Gillis admitted that the timing of the Eels' decision to set the five-eighth loose would make it more difficult for him to find a contract in the NRL, given most rosters have been all but filled for next year. That being the case, he said Mortimer was prepared to see out the remainder of his contract with the Eels, even if it meant playing in NSW Cup.

But his preference was for Mortimer to find opportunity elsewhere in the NRL. ''I've always found that the best way to do things, in these situations, is to resolve,'' Gillis said. ''[But] if he has to sit for 12 months until an opportunity comes along, he'll sit around for 12 months. I will say it would have been a lot easier if they had given us a head start.''

Parramatta chief executive Paul Osborne said the Eels would not force Mortimer to leave the club if he chose to stay, even though he is on a reported $220,000-a-season contract.

''That's not a problem,'' Osborne said. ''There was never an issue for us in terms of honouring his commitment.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-nrl-recall-20110727-1i0e6.html#ixzz1TMgyjm8J

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...imer-waits-for-nrl-recall-20110727-1i0e6.html

True EEL

Bench
i hope Morts gets a final chance with Parra before the year is out.....can anyone legitimately say he will give less than what Robson (and to a lesser extent McGuire) will, i mean come on....????

Eels Dude

Coach
i hope Morts gets a final chance with Parra before the year is out.....can anyone legitimately say he will give less than what Robson (and to a lesser extent McGuire) will, i mean come on....????

I think he'd offer less. Robson is playing horribly but at least he has a long kicking game and defends strongly. Morts offers neither despite trying hard. And we don't need a support player in the halves with the style of play we're using.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm not finished: Mortimer

NICK MCGRATH
29 Jul, 2011 04:00 AM
ORANGE CYMS junior Daniel Mortimer is confident he still has what it takes to match it with the best in the NRL - he just needs an opportunity to prove it.The 22-year-old has been granted permission by Parramatta to negotiate with rival clubs after being left stranded in the NSW Cup with the Eels’ feeder side, the Wentworthville Magpies, for the last two months.
A recent move to five-eighth by 2009 Dally M medallist Jarryd Hayne, along with the solid form of Casey Maguire in the halves, has put a dampener on Mortimer making any sort of return to the top-flight.
Add to that the signatures of Chris Sandow and Ben Roberts for next year and Mortimer’s opportunities at the club look limited.
He, however, hasn’t given up.
“Absolutely not. My main intention at the moment is to stay with Parramatta and make it back into first grade this season,” Mortimer told the Central Western Daily yesterday.
“But I’ve got to be realistic and we’ve got to see whether there are other opportunities out there for me. We’d be silly not to have a look around. We’ve been given permission to look around and my manager (Steve Gillis) is out seeing if we can get any nibbles.
“I just want to be back playing in the NRL. Whether that’s with Parramatta or somewhere else, I still feel like I have a lot to offer.”
Since being granted a licence to find new home, the diminutive half has been linked with rival western Sydney clubs Penrith and the Wests Tigers, along with English Super League club Salford.
He ruled out a stint in the UK at this stage of his career.
“That’s all talk at the moment. My manager is talking to a few clubs and we’ll sit down together next week and talk it through,” he said.
“I haven’t heard anything as yet, I just want to focus on training well with Parra and finishing the season well.”
And hard work is something the young playmaker is not afraid of.
Mortimer has been one of Wenty’s best since being left out of the Eels’ round 11 clash with Cronulla.
He believes he is again finding form.
“I actually feel like I have that spark back,” he said after dominating in the No.7 jersey for Wentworthville of late.
“I’m getting my hands on the ball more and I feel like I have that spring in my step.
“I’ve got the confidence back. I just hope I’ll have the opportunity to work my way back into first grade with Parramatta.”
Mortimer’s career started in whirlwind fashion.
He helped take the Eels to the 2009 grand final and was narrowly edged out for rookie of the year honours by giant Canterbury centre Jamal Idris.
He said expectation hasn’t gotten the better of him.
“People can expect what they want but it’s all about what I want to achieve,” Mortimer said.
“I’ve enjoyed my time at Parramatta. You enjoy it a lot when you’re winning, but things haven’t been going that well over the last year-and-a-half. I still love my footy and I know in myself what I’m capable of.”
The Eels take on the Storm on Monday night, with Jarryd Hayne and Jeff Robson named in the halves for Parramatta.
Mortimer and the Wenty Magpies take on Windsor tomorrow.
http://www.centralwesterndaily.com....ot-finished-mortimer/2241541.aspx?storypage=0