What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Mortimer for Gold Logie

Avenger

Immortal
The Bulldogs!

He's a better player than KK and they just gave us their best 6 option! Surely they could use something?

Only 18 months ago they were showing Mortimer video presentations enticing him to come over. If anything they even have less options at 6 now. The dogs is where he should go and good luck to him.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Only 18 months ago they were showing Mortimer video presentations enticing him to come over. If anything they even have less options at 6 now. The dogs is where he should go and good luck to him.

The problem with Morts going to the Dogs is that they've spent big time on Hodko and KK.

Twice bitten thrice shy?

Spending $500k on a mediocre halfback and bad 5/8 might make a club a bit scared to offer anything to a bad 5/8!!

Best option for us would be the Bulldogs to show interest (even at low salary) and Morts to ask for a release for the chance to play first grade.

Gronk

Staff member
Snubbed Mortimer vows to return to NRL after 'massive off-season'

Daniel Lane

September 4, 2011

art-353-mortimer-200x0.jpg
Snubbed ... Daniel Mortimer wants a starting place. Photo: Getty Images

PARRAMATTA'S Daniel Mortimer believes his actions will get him back in first grade after he was again overlooked for a recall for last night's clash with Gold Coast.
The 22-year-old, who was earmarked as the future of the Eels when he helped spearhead the side's charge to the 2009 grand final, was sent to feeder club Wentworthville midway through the season.
However, Wentworthville coach Brett Cook described his player's form as outstanding and was adamant Mortimer was far too good a player to languish in the NSW Cup.
Advertisement: Story continues below
But the fact Eels coach Stephen Kearney selected outside back Luke Burt ahead of Mortimer to play five-eighth in last week's loss to Sydney Roosters and then snubbed Mortimer again when Casey McGuire was ruled out of last night's game against the Titans, suggests he faces a tough battle to get back next year.
''I'll let my actions and performance on the field speak for me,'' Mortimer said of the need to prove himself to Kearney.
''I've always worked hard, always given my best, because that's how I've been brought up. Whenever you get a little challenge like that, I rip in harder. I have worked really hard over the last few weeks, doing sessions here and there. I'm fit and I'll have a massive off-season.''
Mortimer was told six weeks ago he was not part of Parramatta's future plans. However, he was told at a time when it was too late to secure a contract elsewhere. After being signed to a reported $220,000 a season until the end of 2013, Mortimer's manager Steve Gillis said his client would see out the deal.
''[Parramatta] remains in Daniel's plans because he has no other plan,'' Gillis said. ''He'll be there. He has two years to go and he'll fulfil that commitment. When they told him he was no longer in their plans it was too late; the clubs had spent their money. He's focused on a big off-season and fighting for his position.''
Mortimer was stood down from Wentworthville last weekend after he missed a weights session for the Eels due to a ''mix-up''. Rumours suggested that cost Mortimer any chance of playing last night.
''Apparently four of them [missed the session], there was a mix-up on the [training] sheet,'' Gillis said.
''Daniel apologised to the club for that. However, as I said, four of them missed it. On the Tuesday, they were told they were back to Wentworthville for the rest of the week, but there was apparently a weight training session planned for them [with Parramatta] on the Thursday.'''
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-offseason-20110903-1jrmb.html#ixzz1Ww1wYnjd

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I can't believe he still has another 2 years to go after this.

His contract seems to be getting longer and longer.

Eels Dude

Coach
[Parramatta] remains in Daniel's plans because he has no other plan,'' Gillis said. ''He'll be there. He has two years to go and he'll fulfil that commitment. When they told him he was no longer in their plans it was too late; the clubs had spent their money. He's focused on a big off-season and fighting for his position.''

In other words no other club wants him for 2013 either.

He'll fighting for his position in Wenty I agree.

eel01s

Bench
I can't believe he still has another 2 years to go after this.

His contract seems to be getting longer and longer.

FMD! He signed at the beginning of 2010, for 2 years, plus apparently a one year option in his favour. So how does he still have another two years to go?

Eels Dude

Coach
FMD! He signed at the beginning of 2010, for 2 years, plus apparently a one year option in his favour. So how does he still have another two years to go?

You're obviously not very good at maths.

2011 to 2012 equals 2 years, 2013 3rd year option in his favour.

2013 - 2011 = 2

Jodeci

Bench
One of the other '4' who missed training could of been playing as well and that would of shut up a few people here whinging

bartman

Immortal
I'll have a guess that Jodeci is referring to Humble as one of the four, who might have been in the running to be called up for Maguire (instead of Sio eventually getting the nod)?

Sio did very well though, looked very professional.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I wouldn't have changed our line up on Saturday night for anything else as it turned out but it seems like a very strange 'mix-up' to me. How do 4 players get caught out by the same mix up? Did they really stuff up or was it poor communication on someone else's part ? :?
At least Ken Sio was given an opportunity and had what I consider to be the best debut by any of our rookies this season. Well done Ken !

SDM

First Grade
I have heard that the 4 blokes didn't bother going because they think SK is a giant knob.

Jodeci

Bench
I'll have a guess that Jodeci is referring to Humble as one of the four, who might have been in the running to be called up for Maguire (instead of Sio eventually getting the nod)?

Sio did very well though, looked very professional.

Bingo