What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daniel Vidot WWE SmackDown! Thread

some11

Referee
http://www.foxsports.com.au/us-spor...ter-tryout-in-us/story-e6frf6ju-1227580743646

RUGBY League star Daniel Vidot says he has secured a contract with WWE.

The Australian-Samoan said on his Facebook page that he has been offered a three-year-deal by the sports entertainment giant, having successfully completed a three-day trial at their famed Performance Centre.

The former Brisbane winger is set to give NRL away to take up a short term deal in Rugby Union before relocating to the US to chase his pro wrestling dream.

“WWE trial finished and they said ... Yes,” Vidot posted on Facebook on Saturday morning.

“They’re keen to sign me. Three year deal, is what it’s looking like but won’t be til a couple of years away.

“But first (I must) finish off my rugby contract)... Then (I) am looking to do the big switch.”

Vidot added: “To all the young youth out there, don’t doubt your dreams.

“Don’t listen to the haters talking behind your back. They are all behind you for a reason.”

The 25-year-old has spent the last three days in Orlando, Florida trailing for a contract with the wrestling giant.

During that time he was taught basic wrestling moves with his fitness the key component tested. He also worked on his interview skills, something Vidot is well versed in due to his years in NRL.

This is not the first time WWE has signed a football star.

The company is well known for transforming those with an athletic background info household names.

Dwayne Johnson, better known as The Rock was a failed football player before he turned to wrestling and took Hollywood by the throat, becoming the highest grossing actor in 2014.

Vidot is an actor who performed in several plays early in his career when he was at Canberra.

Vidot is the fourth Australian male to sign a deal with the WWE. Nathan Jones was briefly contracted, while two young wrestlers from Melbourne are currently in the development system.

ellskimore

Juniors
I'm going to say this is a massive premature beatup. They have so many indie organisations and development pathways where a very select few actually appear on the WWE product. The way it's reported makes it seem like he's just going to jump straight onto WWE television and wrestle guys like Triple H. I doubt he'll ever appear on WWE TV.

some11

Referee
I always thought it was a bit childish, even before I found out about "kayfabe".

It's a big business though with plenty of money to throw around so I don't begrudge Vidot for taking a shot at it.

Cloud

Juniors
Vidot better watch himself. WWE is known for being very stringent with social media from its employees. Having articles written down here from tweets of his could be trouble.

DiegoNT

First Grade
I thought the only way a wrestler makes it in the wwe was on the back of their personality. Athleticism or skill has nothing to do with it, it all depends on whether they make a good villian, or if they have the personality to become popular. Of the many adjectives used to describe Vidot through his career, charismatic isn't one of them.

WellsNZ

Juniors
I thought the only way a wrestler makes it in the wwe was on the back of their personality. Athleticism or skill has nothing to do with it, it all depends on whether they make a good villian, or if they have the personality to become popular. Of the many adjectives used to describe Vidot through his career, charismatic isn't one of them.

There's lots of components to it, personality, athleticism, how good you are in the ring, look, politics.

Some are better at some elements than others. Some guys end up getting a shot because they are just big bad ass looking dudes, some get a shot on personality, some get a shot because they are great in ring performers. Some are a mix, but saying athleticism or skill has nothing to do with it definitely misses the mark entirely.

Aside from huge guys like Big Show or Mark Henry, the people in WWE are very athletic.

DiegoNT

First Grade
There's lots of components to it, personality, athleticism, how good you are in the ring, look, politics.

Some are better at some elements than others. Some guys end up getting a shot because they are just big bad ass looking dudes, some get a shot on personality, some get a shot because they are great in ring performers. Some are a mix, but saying athleticism or skill has nothing to do with it definitely misses the mark entirely.

Aside from huge guys like Big Show or Mark Henry, the people in WWE are very athletic.

So who are the successful wrestlers who have no personality at all?
I'm sure there's thousands of young athletic/acrobatic men who for whatever reason don't make it to the wwe.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So who are the successful wrestlers who have no personality at all?
I'm sure there's thousands of young athletic/acrobatic men who for whatever reason don't make it to the wwe.

Chris Benoit
Goldberg
Roman Reigns
Sandman
Austin Aries
Jeff Hardy

The list goes on.

Last Week

Bench
Chris Benoit
Goldberg
Roman Reigns
Sandman
Austin Aries
Jeff Hardy

The list goes on.

All of those guys, except Roman Reigns, made it in a very different time of wrestling for different reasons.

Roman made it because he has a unique look and he's also related to the Rock. Most of the Rocks family make it if they want to.

Last Week

Bench
I'd find it quite surprising that they would offer him a contract now if he's not going to be available for over a year. When Brock Lesnar was in development, before he got the chance to move up to WWE he had things he needed to do first (I think amateur wrestling) and I'm sure he wasn't given a contract until he was ready to go.

beave

Coach
WWE???bahahaha, Who watches that utter shit, seriously????

if I want to watch a bunch of 'athletes' make dickheads of themselves by faking their way through life, I'll go watch a replay of a Parramatta game....

Evil Homer

Staff member
WWE???bahahaha, Who watches that utter shit, seriously????

if I want to watch a bunch of 'athletes' make dickheads of themselves by faking their way through life, I'll go watch a replay of a Parramatta game....
I'll never understand why people like this give wrestling such a hard time, do you also have a problem with TV and movies which are also 'fake'?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Apparently, Ellskimore, Last Week, WellsNZ, Elementary

edit: and Evil Homer
I don't really watch it but that's mainly because WWE is not very entertaining, not because it's 'fake' or anything like that. I just don't understand why some people have such a superiority complex when it comes to wrestling, you don't for example see people sitting in a movie theater talking about how it's all fake and how people aren't really getting shot or whatever, laughing at all the people who are watching and enjoying the movie and seemingly believing that they're more intelligent for pointing out something that everyone already knows. It's just weird to me that people react in this way towards wrestling.

kdalymc

Bench
Because a movie, is a movie. Wrestlers want you to think it's real, when it's clearly not...
People support it like it's a sport, when it's also not...

Last Week

Bench
Apparently, Ellskimore, Last Week, WellsNZ, Elementary

edit: and Evil Homer

I used to when I was in my teens regularly. Gradually watched less and less before stopping completely about 9 years ago.

After that I only watched episodes sporadically when The Rock came back and Sting recently as he was my childhood favourite.