What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Danny Wicks Quits the Newcastle Knights

TooheysNew

Coach
Danny Wicks Quits the Newcastle Knights
By: Newcastle Knights Media Release
December 23rd, 2009 12:15pm[z]3176[/z]

Danny Wicks today announced he has voluntarily terminated his playing contract with the Newcastle Knights.

In a statement released through his lawyer this morning, Wicks said: “I have a very high regard for the Club, its supporters and its sponsors. Importantly, the players have been put under enormous scrutiny and pressure which they do not deserve. It’s the right thing for me to do so the club can move forward.”

“The Knights have a strict code of conduct which I have always supported and I feel obliged to disassociate myself from the Club until my matter is resolved.”

Wicks’ solicitor, Mark Hanlon said his client would strenuously defend all charges. “Danny maintains his innocence and will defend the charges,” Hanlon said. He said Wicks would not be commenting further on the matter.

Newcastle Knights CEO, Steve Burraston said Wicks’ decision is in the best interests
of himself and his former club.

“We support Danny’s decision and understand that this is in the best interests of all
involved,” said Mr Burraston. “Danny has many challenges ahead and we understand the reasons behind his decision.”

Mr Burraston reaffirmed the club’s position following more media reports this morning
quoting unnamed sources and fuelling further speculation.

“As I said in a statement earlier this week, some very serious allegations have been
reported in the last week. There is an ongoing police investigation and we have no intention of hindering their investigation in any way.”

“We don’t act on rumours and innuendo and until such times that we are presented with solid evidence we won’t be taking matters into our own hands. It is a matter for police and they are much better placed to deal with such matters.”
From http://www.leagueunlimited.com/article.php?newsid=18736

perverse

Referee
good.

grab your torches and pitchforks everyone, it's time for an old fashioned running-out-of-town.

The Colonel

Immortal
Both a big step and a huge gesture to the club...... probably the only time you'd say well done throughout the whole episode.

Johns Magic

Referee
Not sure if this is too much specualtion, but terminating his own contract screams guilty to me...

Fein

First Grade
I have to applaud this action, good to see a footballer thinking about the game first for a change.

Sure, he may not really have had a choice but this is a first to my knowledge.

roopy

Referee
The massive thing he could do would be to plead guilty so the whole thing would be over, but if he feels he has a defence it is obviously too much for us to ask of him.
This frees up his contract money for the club, but does nothing else for us.
It's a nice gesture, but doesn't help much.

stuke

Bench
I have to applaud this action, good to see a footballer thinking about the game first for a change.

claiming that he 'thought of the game first' is probably stretching it a bit there.

Don't rule out the possibility a settlement may have been negotiated between Wicks and the club - give me $xxx and I'll go quietly.

Yosh

Coach
What happens if he isnt't guilty guys? Just what if he is innocent and really just quitted the club even though he knows he is innocent. Makes him a saint!!!

But odds are he is guilty as charged and as things are we ain't really need another prop...

Chook Herron

Juniors
What happens if he isnt't guilty guys? Just what if he is innocent and really just quitted the club even though he knows he is innocent. Makes him a saint!!!

But odds are he is guilty as charged and as things are we ain't really need another prop...

Do you/Did you use to ride the short yellow bus to school or something?

Alex28

Coach
The massive thing he could do would be to plead guilty so the whole thing would be over...
Unless of course if he is actually innocent...

It's a big stretch I know...but I wouldn't be doing anything for the club first if I felt I was innocent. He has to put himself first in this situation.

I don't think that resigning from the club is an admission of guilt at all. It is a nice gesture and an attempt to distance him from the club. It wont work of course, but it is a nice thought...

Big Tim

First Grade
Congrats.

This was happening outside of the Knights control, so I am glad to see Danny step down. Its basically a statement saying the Knights Football Club is/was not involved.

In no way an admission of guilt IMO.

Latest posts