What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Mooney Departs.

Spot On

Coach
Yes, that was certainly sky falling in and absolute hysterical commentary. Just talking garbage again no doubt. Thanks for highlighting it. I'm stoked and completely honoured my highly divisive, critical, end of world comments were ingrained in your brain.

Considering Mac told us Klemmer was probably coming as far back as 6 months ago, I don't know what you are going on about?????

You aren't suggesting those two, Pezet and Canavan, are responsible for our current roster are you??? Already forgotten the hard work Mooney did to get this list together???

Be aware, if we do lose Ponga in a year or 2, you will be revisiting this and highlighting your post - won't you! :D

FMD .

Lol.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
To be fair, Mooney put this squad together bar Klemmer. You're kind of subtly implying that if Mooney were still around we wouldn't have signed Klem which I'm not sure I buy. Given the circumstances around his signing, I think Mooney would have landed him if he were still on board.
In saying that, it's good that Pezet and Canavan are quite clearly capable

Yosh

Coach
Yes, that was certainly sky falling in and absolute hysterical commentary. Just talking garbage again no doubt. Thanks for highlighting it. I'm stoked and completely honoured my highly divisive, critical, end of world comments were ingrained in your brain.

Considering Mac told us Klemmer was probably coming as far back as 6 months ago, I don't know what you are going on about?????

You aren't suggesting those two, Pezet and Canavan, are responsible for our current roster are you??? Already forgotten the hard work Mooney did to get this list together???

Be aware, if we do lose Ponga in a year or 2, you will be revisiting this and highlighting your post - won't you! :D

FMD .

Lol.

Mooney really does deserve all the praise se but you must admit the sky isn't falling down. They have continued the good work and platform laid by Mooney.
Personally I'm super proud of the direction the team has taken the past few years. I hope we continue to improve on and off the field and become one of the super clubs.

Joel-22

Juniors
Mooney really does deserve all the praise se but you must admit the sky isn't falling down. They have continued the good work and platform laid by Mooney.
Personally I'm super proud of the direction the team has taken the past few years. I hope we continue to improve on and off the field and become one of the super clubs.

Time will tell. I don't have a dog in this fight, I really hope Mooney's successors do a great job. It's early days though

Spot On

Coach

Yes that is correct - the sky isn't falling in and that was not suggested at all, ever.

Can someone point out why this is being suggested?????

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
To be fair, Mooney put this squad together bar Klemmer. You're kind of subtly implying that if Mooney were still around we wouldn't have signed Klem which I'm not sure I buy. Given the circumstances around his signing, I think Mooney would have landed him if he were still on board.

Is this in reference to me or Fred???

Frederick

Staff member
Uh I'm not implying that at all. I'm more pointing out the fact that when Mooney departed some people had very ridiculous, over the top reactions that implied they thought the club would collapse without him here when, really, they haven't skipped a beat at all

Joel-22

Juniors
Uh I'm not implying that at all. I'm more pointing out the fact that when Mooney departed some people had very ridiculous, over the top reactions that implied they thought the club would collapse without him here when, really, they haven't skipped a beat at all

That's fair. I don't know how the f**k I reached that conclusion from your post. I think it was just a combination of being tired and reading Spot On's post and reacting to what he seemed to be reacting to.
Apologies my good man!

Spot On

Coach

Well you have it completely wrong as that was not implied at all. What was implied was the fantastic job Mooney had done.

Canavan's past was questioned but at no stage was it written or implied the sky was falling due to his employment at the club. I'm not excited by his employment here and said so. But in no way should you have interpreted that sentence as you have reacted to it. Bizarre to say the least Fred.

Yours was the ridiculous, completely over the top reaction. If anything, you are implying that Pezet and Canavan were responsible for Klemmer's recruitment as the timing of your posting suggests. And we know that is not the case at all.

If anything, Klemmers signing is further kudos to Mooney due to the strength of the roster he put together. One of the reasons Klemmer has stated.

But you Carry on Fred. Don't let the sky hit you on the head mate.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
Pezet was Klemmer’s first manager, so I’m guessing he was doing quite a bit of work behind the scenes, even when Mooney was at the club and in charge of recruitment.

Well, the roster is full apart from one spot.

The strong platform Mooney put in place is being built upon and that's all we could've hoped for. It's safe to say the hard yards have been done recruitment wise. All we needed was a few big name Sydney players to come across and we all thought more would follow. The signing of Mitchell Pearce will likely prove the most important in our history for what he has done off the field as much as on it. The perception of our club has changed entirely and Mitchell is a huge part of that reason.

Big name Sydney players come here now and it's more than most of us ever imagined. The recruitment work of Mooney, Brown and now Pezet and Canavan are the total opposite of what that washed up old myth Bennett tried to do here. It's unlikely that our club will be viewed as an unfavourable playing prospect by top players ever again.

How good is this?

Pedge1971

First Grade
Open question: was Mooney pretty updated with what was going on at Cronulla when Russell self reported and left the Knights while the going was good?

Cause no doubt if he was there today he has been named and implicated in the Flanaghan scandal and would potentially be rubbed out too.

Open question for debate.

Old dog

Juniors
Open question: was Mooney pretty updated with what was going on at Cronulla when Russell self reported and left the Knights while the going was good?

Cause no doubt if he was there today he has been named and implicated in the Flanaghan scandal and would potentially be rubbed out too.

Open question for debate.
Mere speculation at this stage, prefer to wait and see.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Interesting interview from Baz Toohey with Darren Mooney on what those dark days were like behind the doors

Darren Mooney - the Newcastle Knights' former head of football who worked for years alongside coach Nathan Brown - is a somewhat enigmatic figure in the corridors of Knights HQ, but he is the person responsible for much of the current Knights identity. Our head of sport, Robert Dillon, perfectly captured Mooney's character in his 2018 profile as Mooney departed the Knights for Tennis NSW.

https://www.newcastleherald.com.au/...he-curtain-at-the-newcastle-knights/?cs=17641

Latest posts