What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Darren Senter Retires

Famous1

Juniors
Senter announces retirement: official statement

5 August 2004

Wests Tigers captain Darren Senter today announced his retirement from the game at the end of the season.

After 10 years and more than 200 games with Wests Tigers and Balmain Tigers, Senter has decided it is time to hang up his boots.

“Football has been a huge part of my life, and I’m going to miss it, but it’s time to take the next step. I’m looking forward to more time with my family and taking on a new challenge,” he said.

“At this stage, I am in discussion with the club regarding my after footy career and am very excited about the new challenges that may be available for me. Remaining with the club is important to me as it’s been part of my life for so long.

During Senter’s career with Wests Tigers he has represented City Origin twice (1997,2002), and was part of the 2004 winning World 7s Side.

“Darren’s contribution to the club has been invaluable, both on and off the field. It is rare to see players stay with one club for so long, but Darren’s leadership, determination and attitude have made him one of the greats of the game and this club”, CEO Stephen Noyce said.

Senter is one of the few remaining players still with the club since the joint venture took place five years ago.

“Seeing the two clubs evolve into one was certainly an interesting time, and while it has been a challenge I wouldn’t have changed a thing,” Senter said.

“I’m now looking forward to playing out the season and saying farewell to all the loyal and dedicated fans who have supported me throughout my career.

“Hopefully I can play a role in the club achieving their first ever final series appearance.”

:cry:

It's been good darren..

through the good times and bad, you shown the heart to lead us and inspire alot of young juniors at the club

Suzie

Juniors
:( Even though I was expecting this, I'll miss watching Daz play. Good luck for the future, after the Tigers nail a possy in the top 8 :clap:

NOW will WTF organise something for Sunday at Leicchy?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
Its a shame to see such a dedicated and loyal player leave the playing ranks but I somehow doubt his pressance will remain around the club for some years to come.

All the best to a great champion :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Suzie said:
NOW will WTF organise something for Sunday at Leicchy?

I think they will the problem was they where actually awaiting a definate response from Darren regarding if he was going to retire or if he was going to come back next year on match payments

If the do or don't either way I know that both Brook and myself will be at the Den on Sunday to cheer a very loyal champion off the park win, loose or draw!!!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Fine career from the Lakemba boy.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Well done Darren I always knew you had in you.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
He will probably take up a position on the coaching staff in some capacity.

Great clubman and a player who gave his all every time he stepped out onto the field.

Congratulations Darren, your loyalty, work ethic and attitude will be sorely missed.

Wrighty79

Juniors
Farewell Hollywood. Let's get out to Leichhardt on sunday and give him a BIG Tigers farewell from Leichhardt!

Tigerpete

Juniors
Yeah its not surprising but still a bit of a shock to know he's retiring. He's been an inspiration not only to the players and coaches but for us fans too. His presence on field will be missed sorely and we'll certainly be worse off with out him but in saying that, it now offers the chance for a young player to make his mark and fill the void.please take it with 2 hands Robbie Farah.

ozcrusader

Bench
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Was never a fan of his dirty tactics, constant niggling, underhanded playing style and conceding stupid penalties.

Please go and join the bulldogs in some capacity with Terry lamb.

jy

Juniors
you're a chump goangod :roll: :roll: :roll:

well played daz.

thanks for some good memories. you deserve a great send off at leichhardt

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Eddie.

Bench
goangod said:

Was never a fan of his dirty tactics, constant niggling, underhanded playing style and conceding stupid penalties.

If you dont have anything good to say about a guy who has been as loyal and spirited as Darren has been thats dissapointing. Senter has never really been my favourite player but anyone who wears the black and gold for ten years and plays every game at 100% deserves recognition.

menacer

Juniors
goangod said:

Goangod,
Darren Senter was/is an inspirational player who players love playing with, and hate to come up against. Tenacity like his is very rare, and he will be a great loss to your club. I cant see where your vitriol would come from.
If he did choose to join the Bulldogs, Im sure the Dogs would welcome his work ethic, integrity, dedication, and committment with open arms.

Even as an oppositon supporter, your attitude surprises me. I cant imagine what fellow Tigers Fans think.

menacer

Juniors
Eddie. said:
Well said Menacer.

But mate he rarely has anything good to say so its no surprise.

I just cant understand it, thats all. Imagine being a player, putting all your sweat and effort in for your team week-in week-out, knowing that theres a "fan" out there that spits on that effort and committment... all because of some petty personality issues.

Eddie.

Bench
Its alright, Darren will get a great response from 99% of the Tigers fans on Sunday, well all the real Tigers fans anyway.

BJ

Juniors
not always a fan of darren's.. mainly due to where he has been selected every week.. imo better suited to the 2nd row..
but i must congratulate him on a loyal career.. he's one player that everyone didn't like to come up against but from all reports his team mates and the fans loved him..
he's done the wests tigers proud.. let's hope he can go out on a high..
:clap: :clap:

tiger8989

Juniors
Well, I think he has retired at the right time.
Ive always respected him as a tough player and good defender and I hope he can go out in GRAND FINAL FASHION. ;-)

Now im hoping that this means we will keep Mears for another season or two.

Mears and Farah alternating as hooker next year is the way to go!

Latest posts