What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DA's reason for Robson over KK?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I love reading your posts, i always feel pumped and keen to see the mighty blue n golds play after reading your comments.

Thanks, I express how it it feels to be true and do the best I can to create Images (thought-forms) that all Eels fans, players and staff can put their energy/power of creation into. Every thought-form we think and feel is no different to a shirt we put on to wear. Lets wear winning shirts rather than losing ones.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
so going by ando's justifcation in his decision, his commitment is that when keating gets used to combining with hayne and mateo, he WILL be the starting 7.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I'm going with KK coming on for Robbo then Robbo will replace MK

If I was coach I would want an organiser who remains calm in the heat of battle, someone overseeing the tactical side of the game, someone who directs attackers (and defenders if required) and adapts strategies and ploys spontaneously with what he sees before him, set after set. A good organiser will win the games that really matter. While great attackers like Hayne and Mateo will win games on their own, a solid foundation built around a great organiser (working well with the coach) will win all those other games when the great attackers did not create enough to win them. Kris Keating and Daniel Mortimer are a few years away from having what Jeff Robson already has in bucket-loads... A General.

It's best to let all the brilliant spontaneous attackers be free to focus instinctively on what they are good at, but also be kept in line by the General with whatever he feels going on all around him. Maturity and a team of passionate, focused and level headed team players playing for each other is what I would want as the Eels coach for the 2010 season and DA has a great balance of players to take the Eels to another GF, ONLY this time.... WIN IT.

One of the important keys for the 2010 premiership is the General and Robson is that MAN.

It seems that everyone pushing for KK and DM in the 7 roll are overlooking the roll of the General. They are both not yet ready to handle this responsibility over a whole season, maybe a few games here and there if Robbo gets injured, but GEES, without the General, particularly with what Robbo brings to the table, other players will become burdened with responsibilities which will blunt what they offer the most to this present squad.

And lets also not forget the scrutiny, pressure and attention many of our best players will receive/be under all season....

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
you sound like an ex-used car salesman who's just become his agent

Well then please explain...

1. Do the eels need an accomplished general/organiser to lead them to premiership glory this year?

2. If no, can we win the premiership just by the attacking brilliance we have in stock?

3. If yes,
a) Is KK already an accomplished general/organiser?
b) Is DM already an accomplished general/organiser?

Lets remove Robbo out of the picture and being armed with all the present capabilities of your squad of 25, please explain how we will win our way to the GF and then win the big one. What is the strategy/tactics you have in brain using the other 24 to make all our dreams come true.

To me, I am looking at every players strengths and skills as I know them best, based on what I witnessed last year..... and bringing together a campaign road map of glory for season 2010.... Yes, I am only a fan and I am dreaming, but I am pasionate about sharing what I feel, and who knows maybe just a little is rubbing off on the coaches, players and officials and maybe you too, unless your beyond total recall to decency and friendship and goodwill. And if that is the case, that ain't my doing.

strider

Post Whore
does Robson play like a "general" out there? directing all the play around? .... tbh I don't think so - but I'm not out there .... plus all I've read is that one of his best traits is he's the no frills guy who just lets hayne and co do their thing - ie. he's not really telling ppl what to do - just playing his solid game making a contribution by letting others take the reigns

Craig Johnston

First Grade

1. Do the eels need an accomplished general/organiser to lead them to premiership glory this year?

2. If no, can we win the premiership just by the attacking brilliance we have in stock?

3. If yes,
a) Is KK already an accomplished general/organiser?
b) Is DM already an accomplished general/organiser?

Lets remove Robbo out of the picture and being armed with all the present capabilities of your squad of 25, please explain how we will win our way to the GF and then win the big one. What is the strategy/tactics you have in brain using the other 24 to make all our dreams come true.

To me, I am looking at every players strengths and skills as I know them best, based on what I witnessed last year..... and bringing together a campaign road map of glory for season 2010.... Yes, I am only a fan and I am dreaming, but I am pasionate about sharing what I feel, and who knows maybe just a little is rubbing off on the coaches, players and officials and maybe you too, unless your beyond total recall to decency and friendship and goodwill. And if that is the case, that ain't my doing.

you're assuming that's the ingredient needed to get us to a grand final again.....whoopy doo!

kk is a better TALENT. who's to say that his overall ABILITY isn't going to take us one step further?

just because kk doesn't have the experience that robbo does of being a passenger, doesn't mean he has no organisational ability at all. junior kangaroo rep at all levels, and has already proven himself with massive potential in every opportunity he's been given.

rather untap our potential that have passengers riding along ANYDAY

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
does Robson play like a "general" out there? directing all the play around? .... tbh I don't think so - but I'm not out there .... plus all I've read is that one of his best traits is he's the no frills guy who just lets hayne and co do their thing - ie. he's not really telling ppl what to do - just playing his solid game making a contribution by letting others take the reigns

I watched the GF qualifier against the Dogs and it seems he was doing lots of organising. In the GF, not so much but interesting, it appears he got more into the fore of being an organiser over the last 20 minutes or so of the game. But then again, age could be catching up and I am due for an overhaul. One does have the ability of nodding off in front of a monitor if one spends too many hours in front of it everyday.

Ooohhh I better go and smell the roses tomorrow and listen to the birds sing...

caylo

Bench

1. Do the eels need an accomplished general/organiser to lead them to premiership glory this year? NO

2. If no, can we win the premiership just by the attacking brilliance we have in stock? YES

3. If yes,
a) Is KK already an accomplished general/organiser? JUST AS GOOD AS ROBO IMO
b) Is DM already an accomplished general/organiser? ORGANISES THE EDGES

IMO you are over hyping Robos influence on the team, remembering that KK improved our team 100 fold when he came in and Robo only started to play well when Hayne started to be the "general" and lead the play.

We arnt like teams such as the Knight with Johns, Cowboys with Thurston or Storm with Smith. We will play most of our footy off Hayne and Mateo after our forwards produce some second phase play, we need speed and instinct around the ruck which Robson does not contain IMO.
Our strength is our backline and we need to shift the ball outwide to our danger men for them to put on points rather then a halfback craft his way through teams so yes we can very much win without our halfback being the general but in saying that I think KK is a better overall organiser then Robson.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
you're assuming that's the ingredient needed to get us to a grand final again.....whoopy doo!

kk is a better TALENT. who's to say that his overall ABILITY isn't going to take us one step further?

just because kk doesn't have the experience that robbo does of being a passenger, doesn't mean he has no organisational ability at all. junior kangaroo rep at all levels, and has already proven himself with massive potential in every opportunity he's been given.

rather untap our potential than have passengers riding along ANYDAY

That's why KK is in the 14 position, Mortimer in the 6 and Robbo in the 7. Lets not forget that under game time = experience, Robbo has it in him to improve on what he achieved last year. Neither Robbo nor DA know how much more he can improve but I feel there is more room for improvement and is probably why DA has given the incumbent 1st shot at the 7 AND if this improvement comes about over the first 4 rounds then he will stick with him because there is no knowing at this point as to how far he will improve. Robbo has got a very good head on his shoulders and he is no slouch on the training paddock either.

Last year KK was frazzled by too many options/decisions rushing through his brain. And yes, he had a lot of responsibility on his shoulders for one so young. With experience comes maturity and settling down and KK will learn how to improve his decision making part of this game.

Mortimer has lots to develop in his 2nd year as well. He has to learn to handle the extra physical attention he is going to receive this year and how to become stronger both physically and mentally to still bust through big walls of punishing defence without giving up, trying and trying and trying no matter how many times he gets stopped or hammered. Being at 6 for another year or two will only do him good in preparation for becoming the Eels long term number 7.

As it stands having all 3 playing in the roles DA has given them has created a win win win situation for all 3 players and a huge win situation for DA, the club and the fans if these 3 players excel together, which I feel they will.

Robson is going to be the least frazzled of the 3 during these next 2 years and has the body to cope with the job of being the 7 until Mortimer is ready to takeover permanently.

If KK excels in 14 or 9 we have covered for the loss of Kingston and we have found another speed machine up the middle of the ruck or either side of the ruck which equates to points and more points and more points. KK will serve an even more important roll in the current team makeup as a 14 or 9 than he will as a 7 or 6. When Mitchell has blossomed physically then he could come in as the 14 and KK moves to 6 and Daniel to 7. This is the best of the most natural progressions we can achieve these next 2 years, thats if JR improves and improves as a 7 & general organiser

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
IMO you are over hyping Robos influence on the team, remembering that KK improved our team 100 fold when he came in and Robo only started to play well when Hayne started to be the "general" and lead the play.

We arnt like teams such as the Knight with Johns, Cowboys with Thurston or Storm with Smith. We will play most of our footy off Hayne and Mateo after our forwards produce some second phase play, we need speed and instinct around the ruck which Robson does not contain IMO.
Our strength is our backline and we need to shift the ball outwide to our danger men for them to put on points rather then a halfback craft his way through teams so yes we can very much win without our halfback being the general but in saying that I think KK is a better overall organiser then Robson.

I don't agree, the team improved with the introduction of the fast wide open expansive game which opened more corridors for the speedsters to burst through staggered defensive lines greatly enhanced by the improvement in the 2nd phase plays and the fast play the balls. Robbo had a lot to do with this improvement and in the switching to either side of the ruck and in moving the ball out much faster to the wingers and in running more attackers down small corridors with staggered defensive lines.

I am not saying that Robbo should get all the credit but I am saying that his 7 game improved in leaps and bounds which opened up more space and time for Hayne AND Inu to operate their fancy footwork at speed and their physical power game. And yes Mateo when he came back and this player and that player which overall reflected a great improvement in team effort both in attack and defense.

Overall what turned everything around for the Eels by round 16 was Robson in the 7 roll and Mortimer in 6 supporting Robbo's strengths.... "The Fast moving wide and expansive raids off the back of fast play the balls and heaps of 2nd phase plays.

And lets not forget Robbos awesome roving coverdefense shutting down so many potential breaks wide of either side of the rucks. And the perpetual 80 minute INTENSE performances he was putting in week after week.

There is more to say but I covered all this in Casper's posts late last year.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
The other huge plus having KK at 14 & 9 for now is the physical hammering his body has to learn to endure and the toughening up process he will need to achieve to become a powerful long-term 6 or 7. The game is getting faster and faster and the big men are getting bigger and faster as well and with interchange, is changing the physical characteristics required of a 7 or 6.

We don't have an endless production line of Langers and Tooveys coming through and even for small body sizes they were no match-sticks. Neither was Terry Lamb.

I think we will see the evidence of this with matchtick size Albert Kelley having to endure the physical punishment week in week out. Yes, his natural speed and foot-work and brain-power will help but unless he gets some of his cousins growth hormones soon to strengthen up his overall body, he won't last... unless he is that "special" unique player that comes through every now and then.

Runaround Man

Juniors
I am with you Casper.

Robson is a very positive influence on THIS team. Looking at Robson separately as a Rugby League talent there isn't that much to write home about, but in this team, he plays his part perfectly.

Look at Finch and the Storm. Finch works well with that team. Robson fits nicely into the Eels pattern of play and scheme of things.

My money is on Robo staying at half all year...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
That's why KK is in the 14 position, Mortimer in the 6 and Robbo in the 7. Lets not forget that under game time = experience, Robbo has it in him to improve on what he achieved last year. Neither Robbo nor DA know how much more he can improve but I feel there is more room for improvement and is probably why DA has given the incumbent 1st shot at the 7 AND if this improvement comes about over the first 4 rounds then he will stick with him because there is no knowing at this point as to how far he will improve. Robbo has got a very good head on his shoulders and he is no slouch on the training paddock either.

Last year KK was frazzled by too many options/decisions rushing through his brain. And yes, he had a lot of responsibility on his shoulders for one so young. With experience comes maturity and settling down and KK will learn how to improve his decision making part of this game.

Mortimer has lots to develop in his 2nd year as well. He has to learn to handle the extra physical attention he is going to receive this year and how to become stronger both physically and mentally to still bust through big walls of punishing defence without giving up, trying and trying and trying no matter how many times he gets stopped or hammered. Being at 6 for another year or two will only do him good in preparation for becoming the Eels long term number 7.

As it stands having all 3 playing in the roles DA has given them has created a win win win situation for all 3 players and a huge win situation for DA, the club and the fans if these 3 players excel together, which I feel they will.

Robson is going to be the least frazzled of the 3 during these next 2 years and has the body to cope with the job of being the 7 until Mortimer is ready to takeover permanently.

If KK excels in 14 or 9 we have covered for the loss of Kingston and we have found another speed machine up the middle of the ruck or either side of the ruck which equates to points and more points and more points. KK will serve an even more important roll in the current team makeup as a 14 or 9 than he will as a 7 or 6. When Mitchell has blossomed physically then he could come in as the 14 and KK moves to 6 and Daniel to 7. This is the best of the most natural progressions we can achieve these next 2 years, thats if JR improves and improves as a 7 & general organiser

I don't agree, the team improved with the introduction of the fast wide open expansive game which opened more corridors for the speedsters to burst through staggered defensive lines greatly enhanced by the improvement in the 2nd phase plays and the fast play the balls. Robbo had a lot to do with this improvement and in the switching to either side of the ruck and in moving the ball out much faster to the wingers and in running more attackers down small corridors with staggered defensive lines.

I am not saying that Robbo should get all the credit but I am saying that his 7 game improved in leaps and bounds which opened up more space and time for Hayne AND Inu to operate their fancy footwork at speed and their physical power game. And yes Mateo when he came back and this player and that player which overall reflected a great improvement in team effort both in attack and defense.

Overall what turned everything around for the Eels by round 16 was Robson in the 7 roll and Mortimer in 6 supporting Robbo's strengths.... "The Fast moving wide and expansive raids off the back of fast play the balls and heaps of 2nd phase plays.

And lets not forget Robbos awesome roving coverdefense shutting down so many potential breaks wide of either side of the rucks. And the perpetual 80 minute INTENSE performances he was putting in week after week.

There is more to say but I covered all this in Casper's posts late last year.

just a hunch, but do you watch the game through the bottom of a an empty scotch glass

I dont care who it is, as long as they stop kicking the ball down the middle of the field, and straight to the fullback.

I pray that this year, we have a plan for some sort of kicking game. (Remember the shocker that Hayne kicked in the 1st semi against St George?) We need a reliable kicker, and not just expect that we can get away without one. Some of our last play options last year were horrific - and ended up creating more pressure than relief.

Watching the kick go down field (mainly when Robson kicked) straight into the arms of the fullback, in good field position, was cringe worthy of a first grade "kicker".