What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Furner says 'no thanks', Jennings to Penrith as well

thickos

First Grade
Former sons want Raiders job Collins, Walters confirm interest
Peter Fitzgerald
Tuesday, 21 February 2006

Two former Canberra Raiders players have put their hands up to take over from departing coach Matt Elliott next season. Former 1989 premiership players Kevin Walters and Wayne Collins signalled yesterday their intention to apply for the job made vacant by Elliott's shock move to the Penrith Panthers from 2007.

Collins told The Canberra Times yesterday he felt "up to the challenge" of stepping out of an assistant coaching role to take on a senior position.

Collins is the Raiders' co-assistant first-grade coach alongside David Furner.

Despite some media reports suggesting otherwise, Furner will not apply for the vacant head coach position.

Former Brisbane assistant Kevin Walters, who played 35 games at five-eighth for Canberra between 1987 and 1989, was keen to return to his old club.

"Definitely. I'll go through my manager Wayne Beavis and we'll make moves to make sure it's done in a proper way," Walters said.

"It does interest me but it's Canberra's interest that means the most, who they want to have as coach.

"I'd like the opportunity to coach in the NRL, that's my passion and my desire. I've had some good times down there with the Raiders.

"I don't know about me being a favourite son but I've played and have some history down there."

Elliott announced on Sunday his shock decision to quit the Raiders at the end of the 2006 season to take up a three-year deal with the Penrith Panthers.

The decision came days after he knocked back a three-year, $900,000 offer to replace the outgoing Michael Hagan at the Newcastle Knights.

Most had then expected Elliott to honour his pledge of meeting with Raiders chief executive Simon Hawkins yesterday morning to discuss his future in Canberra.

But in a shock move, Elliott instead accepted a three-year contract with the 2003 premiers, leaving Canberra without a leader for next season.

Canberra's strength and conditioning coach Carl Jennings will join Elliott in Penrith.

Hawkins confirmed the club would honour its contractual commitment to Elliott this season and not stand him down immediately.

Collins wants the job in 2007, after spending the last eight seasons in a range of coaching roles in Britain and Australia, including two years in charge of the Queanbeyan Blues in the Canberra Raiders Cup competition. He then joined the Raiders and took charge of the Premier League side from 2001-2004 before being promoted to co-assistant of Elliott's first-grade side.

"I definitely want to coach at the NRL level. I wouldn't have done this for so long if I didn't, so if the [Canberra] administration approached me, I'd be interested," Collins said.

"It's up to the club. It's a very good opportunity and I'd definitely have a go at it. I think I could handle it."

Raiders general manager Don Furner said he hoped to fill the coaching vacancy within five weeks.

The club's monthly board meeting was set down for Friday week but would more than likely be bought forward to this Friday as a result of Elliott's decision.

The Raiders have traditionally struggled to attract high-profile players to the club, largely because of Canberra's location and cold weather.

Club chief executive Hawkins said it would be "easier with a high-profile coach", but he would not rule out any interested candidate.

"I've had a fair few phone calls both last night and this morning," Hawkins said.

"There are plenty of people who are not contracted next year with an NRL club who would love to coach an NRL club."

dubby

Bench
Well its a relief that Dave won't get it. I'm not sure Snoopy has the profile to pull some name players to the ACT either. I saw Simon Hawkins on the news last night saying he had a fair bit of interest in the position. I hope they weren't all nuffies like Kevin Walters.

woodgers

Bench
dubby said:
Well its a relief that Dave won't get it. I'm not sure Snoopy has the profile to pull some name players to the ACT either. I saw Simon Hawkins on the news last night saying he had a fair bit of interest in the position. I hope they weren't all nuffies like Kevin Walters.

That is my only concern with Snoopy too. The thing he has though is the respect of all the young guns that he has brought through. He has won a premiership with most of the up and comers

Dave Furner is the biggest surprise....in fact shocked is the word i'd use. I was certain he would have been in the top 3 favourites to get the job.

I can't blame Jenno, he is obviously a team with Elliott ala Sheens and Brian Hider, that part is fine with me. We are next door to the AIS, there must be people prepared to take on the role. Does Gary Belcher know enough about the science of it all if we wished to 'nab' him? I would love that.

I still don't think Kevin Walters is a nuffy at all. I'm desperate to get him here in some capacity, even if it is as a part time halves coach. Don't forget, he is one of the best 5/8's of the modern era.

Panjabi

Juniors
From reading the media reports of this morning and the last week, Walters and Collins seem to be the men most likely, both have merit as Collins has been instrumental in the success of our Premier League teams and Walters was an understudy to Wayne Bennet at one of the most successful coaching setups in the NRL.
But the man for the job and John McIntyre seems to agree which may be instrumental, is Chris Anderson, sure he may not be everyone's cup of tea but his success at National and International levels has to be taken into account. We need a high profile coach that players will respect and increases our chances of signing some Medium-High Profile players in the future.

legend

Coach
I don't think the club will go down the path of using an untried coach. I think it will be a coach with previous NRL experience and will come down to :

Lang
Anderson
Smith

Timbo

Staff member
I'm glad Dave isn't applying. I think he probably knows he doesn't yet have the skill to take us all the way.

Shame about Jenno.

Paullyboy

Coach
Jenno wasnt going to get his contract renewed again at the end of this offseason anyway, so it had nothing to do with Elliott leaving.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Jenno was always a good chance of leaving, which saddens me as jenno is awesome

BTW good on dave, top work mate, good to see he understands he needs a little more time doing his apprenticeship :D

jed

First Grade
Gotta feel sorry for all the Panthers players that will suddenly have to figure out his West Yorkshire accent. As anyone that's ever had a chat with Jenno can attest, it's not the easiest of accents to come to terms with ;-)

jed

First Grade
Where's your old man from?

I'm used to the accent now, there's a lot of nuances to get used to when you're starting off though :p

woodgers

Bench
jed said:
Where's your old man from?

I'm used to the accent now, there's a lot of nuances to get used to when you're starting off though :p

Bradford

At first you may have nowt idea!

Latest posts