What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith will make a major announcement about the Titans

Canard

Immortal
you dont think branding has an impact on business success??

So you wouldnt see any problem in, for example, the NRL going back to this for their badge....

http://www.nospam49.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/SuperLeagueWarBanner.jpg

Your proving my point way better than I did.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
For this reason is why i believe sooner or later they will let a sydney club die when the circumstances are dire.

Particularly if the events line up with the time line for the next TV deal.

Makes expansion more attractive.

Surely they won't want to be running the Titans for a prolonged period.

Agreed.

Fight for your life, Sydney clubs. Pick up your act.

With NRL in charge of Titans, I can see them going to the QLD Govt to cut a deal (lots of deals going on in QLD :sarcasm:) on getting the stadium cheaper, or packing the whole thing up. Gold Coast is a wasteland.

Noname36

First Grade
For this reason is why i believe sooner or later they will let a sydney club die when the circumstances are dire.

They might want to let a Sydney club die, but they won't. Like I said, a precedent has been set and every club will get bailed out if they need it. Smith's made it no secret the plan is to strengthen all the current clubs before thinking about expansion. Why would they even consider that yet when the newest club is in such a hole?

Who knows how long they'll run them for. They've owned the Knights for nearly 9 months now and don't even seem close to giving them up at the moment.

insert.pause

First Grade
It has come about now because the cocaine scandal has buried any hope of the club securing sponsors and the private owners were unwilling to provide a cash injection.

Canard

Immortal

You've just invented a scenario, so you can be upset at a club being assisted by the NRL.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
They might want to let a Sydney club die, but they won't. Like I said, a precedent has been set and every club will get bailed out if they need it. Smith's made it no secret the plan is to strengthen all the current clubs before thinking about expansion. Why would they even consider that yet when the newest club is in such a hole?

Who knows how long they'll run them for. They've owned the Knights for nearly 9 months now and don't even seem close to giving them up at the moment.

They'll run the Knights on a shoestring and not even provide the football dept with a thing. They will get the operation liquid, modernised and then sell it.

Spot on in your first paragraph.

Johnny88

Juniors
If Gold coast stays it needs a total refresh new colours logo everything start again and if it fails again well its on the NRL'S watch. Relocate the license.

Canard

Immortal
If Gold coast stays it needs a total refresh new colours logo everything start again and if it fails again well its on the NRL'S watch. Relocate the license.

Crazy waste of money.

Not needed, they're are much bigger issues to deal with.

It will just be perceived as painting over the cracks, or reshuffling the chairs on the Titanic.

insert.pause

First Grade
Sounds like once the club has become stable the NRL's preference will be to make it a members club, rather than a return to privatisation.

insert.pause

First Grade
Smith was fairly impressive, but listening to him dodge some questions it's not surprising to know he is being media trained by a former political media manager.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
ok so i've listened to the whole press announcement....essentially what has happened is the titans have gone into administration. the nrl have recognised that this is not a good look and have the commercial decision to underwrite the guarantee required from the new administrators to keep them afloat. the press announcement is simply a song and dance from dave smith to cover-up the real news that being the titans in voluntary administration today

Canard

Immortal
ok so i've listened to the whole press announcement....essentially what has happened is the titans have gone into administration. the nrl have recognised that this is not a good look and have the commercial decision to underwrite the guarantee required from the new administrators to keep them afloat. the press announcement is simply a song and dance from dave smith to cover-up the real news that being the titans in voluntary administration today

The NRL stated in the press release that the Titans were facing serious financial difficulty.

I can't see how that is a cover up.

BunniesMan

Immortal
what are you on about?

f**king nutcase
Did you miss this?
B-lFkawUcAARpoY.jpg
It says the club is in voluntary administration and cannot pay its financial obligations. The club is in a mess and it will cost the NRL to fix it. I was wondering how much.

But there is a limit to how much the NRL can spend to save clubs from themselves. If clubs keep f**king up there will come a time when one doesn't get a bucket of money.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
They'll run the Knights on a shoestring and not even provide the football dept with a thing. They will get the operation liquid, modernised and then sell it.

Spot on in your first paragraph.

Yep. Exactly why if they do take over clubs it should be as a last resort/no other option scenario. The Knights have zero money to operate on. Zilch. All the empty positions had to be filled internally or by blokes from the local comp. Put it this way, Alex McKinnon's job isn't a "we'll just make a fake job so you feel useful" type of thing. He's filling a couple of positions that had to be cut.

I don't think we're gonna see a scenario where the NRL will completely take over some of the other struggling clubs. Hopefully that will be left for more extreme cases like the Knights and Titans. The plan seems to be to get people into the clubs to assist because the problems get out of control.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
The NRL stated in the press release that the Titans were facing serious financial difficulty.

I can't see how that is a cover up.

they were forced into a position to underwrite the debts. would this have happened if their players weren't charged with drug trafficking? who knows, but it's not "the good news story" dave smith makes it out to be.

the difference between this ownership and the knights is that the knights had a clear deadline on when the ownership would be transferred away from the nrl, this is not the case for the titans, and opens up the issues again dealing with the melbourne storm ownership

Noname36

First Grade
But there is a limit to how much the NRL can spend to save clubs from themselves. If clubs keep f**king there will come a time when one doesn't get a bucket of money.

They don't get a "bucket of money" FFS. Read my last post. They get the absolute bare minimum and have to cut all their staff and resources.

Latest posts