What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dave Smith will make a major announcement about the Titans

Desert Qlder

First Grade
To be honest that sounds like a pretty sound development opportunity.

It is also refreshing to here some sanity from Annesley, after the nonsense we have been hearing from the Sydney media, and other blogs (ie The Roar) regarding Gold Coast.

The Titans are here to stay.

insert.pause

First Grade
To be honest that sounds like a pretty sound development opportunity.

It is also refreshing to here some sanity from Annesley, after the nonsense we have been hearing from the Sydney media, and other blogs (ie The Roar) regarding Gold Coast.

The Titans are here to stay.

It really frustrates me the way the media death ride the titans and talk up the suns as some sustainable alternative when they are bankrolled by the AFL. Prior to the centre of excellence fiasco the titans, with no support from the NRL and with grants not even covering the cap, the titans were making million dollar profits and were seen as a expansion model for the AFL. That was a truly sustainable football club and evidence that the market exists to support a NRL club if they can get a bit of support to get back there, but for some selfish myopic NRL clubs that's asking too much and the moment the ARLC even consider it they will start throwing tantrums. The GC should be a league stronghold.

oikee

Juniors
The Titans are now moving in the right direction, towards Brisbane, long may it continue, the closet they get to Brisbane, the stronger they become.
Good news.

eozsmiles

Bench
It really frustrates me the way the media death ride the titans and talk up the suns as some sustainable alternative when they are bankrolled by the AFL. Prior to the centre of excellence fiasco the titans, with no support from the NRL and with grants not even covering the cap, the titans were making million dollar profits and were seen as a expansion model for the AFL. That was a truly sustainable football club and evidence that the market exists to support a NRL club if they can get a bit of support to get back there, but for some selfish myopic NRL clubs that's asking too much and the moment the ARLC even consider it they will start throwing tantrums. The GC should be a league stronghold.

Maybe the GC should be a RL stronghold, but it's hard to see given that no sport has been able to dominate the landscape there. I hope it can, but history is against it. You either turn a profit and stand up for yourself or bring in TV audiences and make yourself indispensable to the NRL. Not sure the Titans are currently doing either. Not sure any other sports in the area are succeeding in that regard though. It's just one of those places.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Titans haven't had to have a hand out. Titans have drawn 20k plus crowd avg. puts them well in front of a number of nrl clubs in the will it won't it work debate.

alien

Referee
there is no reason why a gold coast club shouldn't work. they have the population, they play rugby league there, they have a good stadium. something i have heard about the stadium though is if you sit on one side you can get very sunburnt because there isn't much cover. perhaps they should build a roof on the stadium. i have also heard the ticket prices are very expensive there. perhaps they could make the tickets a bit cheaper.

Diesel

Referee
The Qld Govt at the time royally rooted the Titans for their stadium hence the ticket price yet the AFL chipped in a minuscule amount of cash and the Suns got an awesome deal for their upgraded stadium. Not sure why but govts bend over for the AFL

there is no reason why a gold coast club shouldn't work. they have the population, they play rugby league there, they have a good stadium. something i have heard about the stadium though is if you sit on one side you can get very sunburnt because there isn't much cover. perhaps they should build a roof on the stadium. i have also heard the ticket prices are very expensive there. perhaps they could make the tickets a bit cheaper.

That's been my experience: facing into the sun is bloody hot at Robina. That said, I reckon it's a great ground.

BunniesMan

Immortal
I'm sick of people blaming the stadium/government. The Titans and/or the NRL just did a shit job of negotiating. That whole expansion process in 2007 was done terribly. They shouldn't have chased the Gold Coast, they should have made the Gold Coast and every other area compete to offer the NRL the best deal possible.

oikee

Juniors
Make a announcement Dave, something like this,. The TV networks are going to give us free money.

Rugby union is getting free money from Fox and Ten network, where is our free money.
Our code was struggling for 6 years under Gallop, with not a hint of free money.

Canard

Immortal
I'm sick of people blaming the stadium/government. The Titans and/or the NRL just did a shit job of negotiating. That whole expansion process in 2007 was done terribly. They shouldn't have chased the Gold Coast, they should have made the Gold Coast and every other area compete to offer the NRL the best deal possible.

That's it, we aren't allowed to mention the stadium deal anymore.

BM has spoken.

Close the thread boys.

Considering clubs such as Cronulla, Dragons & West Tigers got bailed out despite decades of existence to get there stuff together. It's only fair the Titans got a fair shake from the NRL too. Even the Cowboys got bailed out along time ago and the club is a better position now for sure.

Reality, is the majority of NRL clubs are failing to turn profits besides Broncos and Souths which shows how poorly and amateur ran the other clubs are at the moment. Even clubs that had decades to financially set themselves have failed to do, explain that while trying to death-ride the Titans.

Considering clubs such as Cronulla, Dragons & West Tigers got bailed out despite decades of existence to get there stuff together. It's only fair the Titans got a fair shake from the NRL too. Even the Cowboys got bailed out along time ago and the club is a better position now for sure.

Reality, is the majority of NRL clubs are failing to turn profits besides Broncos and Souths which shows how poorly and amateur ran the other clubs are at the moment. Even clubs that had decades to financially set themselves have failed to do, explain that while trying to death-ride the Titans.

Pretty sure a lot of clubs run at a loss on purpose mate. I don't exactly know what Souths' deal is (may have something to do with no pokies) but the Broncos are of course a public company and exist to make a profit.

In reality I think there are truly only a small handful of clubs really struggling financially at the moment.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Titans have never needed a hand out lol. You'd think they were needing Melbournes $4.2mill a year the way people go on about them!

pHyR3

Juniors
Pretty sure a lot of clubs run at a loss on purpose mate. I don't exactly know what Souths' deal is (may have something to do with no pokies) but the Broncos are of course a public company and exist to make a profit.

In reality I think there are truly only a small handful of clubs really struggling financially at the moment.

yeah exactly. by his logic storm and roosters are poor clubs.

they're not public companies with shareholders expecting a profit. they would budget to probably break even or maybe a slight loss which is fine.

Latest posts